Fellow Callaway Fusion Big Bertha Fans- anyone try the 3 wood? Other easy to hit 3's

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently bought a Callaway Fusion- it took my driver from the weakest club (old taylormade r580) to by far my strongest club- I hit a 7 iron about 155-160 and I drive the Fusion about 270 up to my longest drive ever recorded with it at 295. But most importantly its super straight! I am prone to slicing but I havent used the draw bias on the adjustable shaft. I guess these drivers are ugly to some is the reason they dont get more hype. But they should.

anyways... Any fusion fans try the fairway woods? Ive always had a bit of trouble hitting fairway woods well (but then again I used to have trouble hitting my driver well- now I'm hitting fairways on like 75% of holes I drive. With how I'm driving right now, I'm not looking for a 3 wood to perform off the tee very often unless I need to come up short. So I'm looking for something easy to hit off the deck and get up in the air so it will sit on greens

Also someone that did a youtube review alluded to a draw bias- is there a draw bias in the fusion 3 wood?

I'd been looking at the cobra f7 fairway woods 3-4 and 4-5 and the f6 baffler 4-5. (also curious on the distance difference between the baffler 4-5 and Fairway wood 4-5 there- do you lose much or any with the smaller baffler head?) Also the ping g series looks nice and low profile- which makes me think it would be easy to hit off the deck or possibly out of the rough.

Any older fairway wood suggestions on ease of use off the deck or rough? What about an Orlimar Trimetal?!? I loved those when they came out- maybe one of the only quality infomercial clubs I've ever used!

I know this has been covered a lot but I've searched all the threads for fusion 3 woods and I've only seen a little bit of info on em

The Fusion fairway is crazy easy to hit. High initial launch, super forgiving.

I thought the fusion fairways were awesome - gamed the 3W and 5W for a while. I actually liked the 5W better than the 3W, but I usually feel that way in any lineup.

I didn't detect any draw bias, but the face did look a little more closed to me at address than other fairways. Extremely easy to hit and elevate. Surprisingly long in my opinion too.

I have been using the fusion 3w for about a year now and it’s really easy to hit off the deck or on a tee. Launches high and goes quite far too (for me).

I’d thought about replacing it with a rogue 3w but it would be hard for me to justify the change especially since its working well.

Fusion is Callaway’s easiest to hit but the face sat a bit too closed to my eye. For me the Ping G and G400 SF Tec’s are about as easy as it gets to hit off the deck and to my eye they sit very neutral at address.

If you don't want it for the tee check out the heaven wood, not sure they made one in the Fusion line, easy to hit from the fairway and just as long as a well hit 3w for me. I don't even carry a 3w anymore, just a GBB HW set to 19*. It's also my safety valve for when the random bad driver day.

I got a super deal on a ping g25 4 wood today on ebay. I already have the g25 20 degree hybrid and I like it a lot (though I’ve only played one round with it so far) so I couldn’t pass on adding the 4 wood at 16.5 degree. I have 4-pw Bridgestone j38 dual pockets with the pw at 45. Then I have vokeys at 50 and 56. And I really am not too much of a fan of lob wedges. So I have one more club I can add. I guess I kinda messed up my initial long fairway club plan. I was gonna do a 3 wood into a cobra baffler 4-5 or 5 wood into the 3 hybrid.

I do have a mizuno mph4 3 iron with a hybrid length graphite shaft at 21 degrees but it’s really close in distance to the 20 g25 hybrid.

What do you think I should add?

Maybe a 13 fairway wood? Though I can’t imagine I’d hit that well. Maybe I could just add a chipper lol? I played around with a Cleveland smart sole 3 with like 37 degrees loft and found it quite a bit more accurate than my wedges for long chips and even short sides where my ball is just in the rough (which seems to happen a lot- 12 feet from pin but in the rough right off the fringe)

Recommendations for a strong 3 wood that’s good off the tee maybe?

Would a 20 degree fairway wood be much longer than a 20 degree hybrid?

Would a 20 degree fairway wood be much longer than a 20 degree hybrid?

All dependent on the strike. If I slightly mishit my 5w but flush a 4h the hybrid will go further.

Recently I had both a 19* 3H and a 19* 5w in the bag. The 3h shaft was about an inch and a half shorter. I hit the 5w 200 yds and the 3h 190.

That’s about what I was thinking about a 10 yard difference. Thanks! I’m gona try this 13 degree orlimar trimetal I got for $15. Funny I saw somebody advertising the “maraging face” on this recent fairway wood search.

I’ll definitely be giving the fusion 3 wood a try if the ping g25 isn’t absolutely perfect haha

Love that the Orlimar Trimetal is in the mix! Brings back memories of their infomercial and the original Tight Lies as well.

Steelhead XR has been a good addition for me. Worth adding to your Strong 3 consideration list if needed!

Love that the Orlimar Trimetal is in the mix! Brings back memories of their infomercial and the original Tight Lies as well.

Steelhead XR has been a good addition for me. Worth adding to your Strong 3 consideration list if needed!

I used to love that commercial as a kid with Jesse Ortiz

I had a Fusion 3 wood it was a rocket launcher. I just hooked it too much.

How do you like it off the deck? do you think there was an actual draw bias?

Last edited:
Do you think there’s a draw bias on it? I watched a review video where they almost alluded to it. But Didn’t say anything definite

Best fairway I ever hit was the epic. Rogue feels hotter but no difference in performance hence not worth the price premium.

I had a Fusion 3 wood it was a rocket launcher. I just hooked it too much.

Sorry above posts were trying to quote people- do you believe there's a built in draw bias or something? Or maybe offset? I cant find anything definitive on either but a couple people said they hook it

Back