Thank you all so much for your input. You always want to choose right, but sometimes you make mistakes. We can say we try our best and fortunately there are so many great THPers that it usually ends up pretty darn good. In this instance, it seems most say choose, others say you might miss someone. Tough call and we will listen to anybody else that posts and then decide, because we want to make sure that this event (and all of our events) are in great hands with people that are excited.

2. We open it up to everybody that is an Albatross Club Member to submit something short and sweet and we let THP and Cobra/PUMA Golf decide based on those.

While I do love the don't be a dick policy. I think the 2nd option forces people to put some thought and effort into why they want to participate in the event. Almost like an interview of sorts. Be knowledgeable, show interest, win the job..

I’ve read a lot, not all but a lot of them, of the responses and I still say option 1. It’s for the position of CAPTAIN for the Morgan Cup, there’s still gonna be up to something like 20 spots up for grabs in other contests. Yes, I do think it should be a well known THP’er with a history of productive activity. I think the responsibility aspect of being the captain of one of these teams is really being underestimated. The buildup, the competition, correspondence, and the feedback after the event are gonna be a lot of work and sometimes the captain may need to motivate the team to hold up their end of the deal of the event. That’s hard to do if you only have time to occasionally post on the forum or if you’re one that read a lot of posts, but doesn’t leave feedback for whatever reason.

I think the captain position for the Morgan Cup is too important to take a gamble on an unknown entity and it would be difficult to trust that someone would all of the sudden change the way they use the forum because they won a contest, some possibly would but it’s not a guarantee. It should be earned by someone who has proven themselves in the past and will respect the event, the sponsor, and the forum throughout the entirety of the event.

Just came across this thread after being away for the last week. I love some of these responses.

With the stature of the Morgan Cup and what it represents around here, I feel option 1 is the best choice. When I first joined, selection to an MC team had a lot to do with community and engagement. I think it's only fitting that the captain be chosen this way as to keep the spirit of the early days alive.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

Being a Captain

I’ve read a lot, not all but a lot of them, of the responses and I still say option 1. It’s for the position of CAPTAIN for the Morgan Cup, there’s still gonna be up to something like 20 spots up for grabs in other contests. Yes, I do think it should be a well known THP’er with a history of productive activity. I think the responsibility aspect of being the captain of one of these teams is really being underestimated. The buildup, the competition, correspondence, and the feedback after the event are gonna be a lot of work and sometimes the captain may need to motivate the team to hold up their end of the deal of the event. That’s hard to do if you only have time to occasionally post on the forum or if you’re one that read a lot of posts, but doesn’t leave feedback for whatever reason.

I think the captain position for the Morgan Cup is too important to take a gamble on an unknown entity and it would be difficult to trust that someone would all of the sudden change the way they use the forum because they won a contest, some possibly would but it’s not a guarantee. It should be earned by someone who has proven themselves in the past and will respect the event, the sponsor, and the forum throughout the entirety of the event.

Well said, I agree wholeheartedly with this post. There are tons of other events, even team member spots for the MC can be done by option 2.

However, when you look back at the history of the event and the people who have been Captains, in my mind, to continue the Legacy option 1 is the way to go.

Last edited:
Well said dude, I agree wholeheartedly with this post. There are tons of other events and even team member spots for the MC can be down by option 2. However, when you look back at the history of the event and the people who have been Captains, in my mind to continue the Legacy option 1 is the way to go.

Yup. You and the large dirt pile (@so-illhacker) speak truths.

Just to be slightly contrarian, I think it should be mostly 1, but with a hint of 2.

THP chooses their shortlist based on the criteria laid down in option 1 to get a good selection of active, trustworthy and engaged THPers, and then that shortlist gets a shoulder tap to submit something that Puma/Cobra then choose from.

I like Option #2. Everyone that signs up to be an Albatross member should have the opportunity. I feel tht other events in the past where one has to write why they deserve a spot, to be chosen, to win a certain prize, etc have worked out fine and has probably lead to more engagement overall by more members. I think a lot of the people who would stand out with their responses in choice #2 would be people you would expect to see on option #1. I just like the idea of someone who may not be as well known and perhaps a newer member (or older member that just doesnt post a million times a day) just submit an entry that just blows you away. You never know where the next leader is going to come from and opeining it to everyone gives those people as good a shot as any.

Back