Both options have merit, however, due to the unique responsibilities incumbent of being a Captain. I believe that option 1, would be the most prudent course of action.

Definitely interested in the responses here...

While option 2 could be fun, I think option 1 is more appropriate for this event. THP has a handle on who meets the 3 factors more so than Cobra would from responses to a contest...I think??

A Morgan Cup a captain shouldn't just be someone who can type up a nice response for a contest. It should be someone the forum can get behind and want to play for

I think Captain # 1 Nailed it. I agree.

Modified #1 - Not that I’ve been around long enough to really comment, but I think last year’s captains ought to pick from a THP short list - a passing of the baton, so to speak.

Just in case people skimmed, it is definitely going to be one of these. A number of people are speaking of hybrids or other things, but we can say for certain it will be one of these two scenarios.

I think Option 1 would be the best for this event. Being names captain for an event like this isnt a small task and should definitely be earned. I agree with Jeremy that it should come from a while of being the kind of THPer that this event deserves as one of its captains.

Others have already done a great job of expressing the why, so I'll just add my tally mark for option #1.

I think Option 1 would be the best for this event. Being names captain for an event like this isnt a small task and should definitely be earned. I agree with Jeremy that it should come from a while of being the kind of THPer that this event deserves as one of its captains.

And I don't think we necessarily need years of evidence for #1 to work - I know some people brought up #2 as a way to incorporate newer folks. I think there have been people who have come here recently that have very much shown themselves to be great THPers and who would do a great job in this spot.

Option 1. Rewards people that active contributors to the site over the long term rather than just looking at a one time snapshot.

I personally like option 2, though I can see the the value from option 1 from what everyone is saying. I like the fact that Puma has a say in it.

Option 2 would be cool to get Cobra/Puma involved, but ultimately (and unfortunately) THP will get all of the praise and/or blame for who is the pick so at least have it be warranted

Option 1.

Captaining something like the Morgan Cup or Grandaddy is an insane honor but one that comes with definite responsibilities. I think having a track record matters.

I would go with option 1. I think a Captain for an event like this needs to have proved themselves to represent THP the right way and option 2 leaves too much room for error. Plus who can determine the right fit for a big event like this better than THP?

I lean hard with option one. This event is not just a gathering. It means a lot to a lot of people and therefore the responsibility should fall to someone who's demonstrating a passion for the event, for THP and an understanding of the gravity of the Morgan Cup....and who follows Rule #1. At the end of the day, there are several more spots available to the masses. This one needs to be a selected position, not an elected one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’d have to say option 1.

The MC IS BIG! The captain choices last year (this year I guess) were perfect. You could really see how much Freddy and Jake relished the moment and how much it meant to them. I think that’s how it should be. You and some of the other long term members certainly see who here has the same commitment and level of care for this place and the event. Just seems right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Option 2 seems like a great engagement opportunity with equal chance for Albatross member. With an honor of this magnitude, I feel more options are better than fewer.

Typically a decision of significant magnitude involves all stakeholders. Morgan Cup Captain certainly fits that description so I vote option 2.

I lean towards option 1. The fact that the MVP was picked to be a captain is a great way to continue a tradition. I think that THP picking someone would help solidify things from the top down.

Definitely interested in the responses here...

While option 2 could be fun, I think option 1 is more appropriate for this event. THP has a handle on who meets the 3 factors more so than Cobra would from responses to a contest...I think??

A Morgan Cup a captain shouldn't just be someone who can type up a nice response for a contest. It should be someone the forum can get behind and want to play for

I agree with this 100%. I mean who would be excited about being on, let's say, that smiter fellas team just because he wrote a nice paragraph? I'd feel a little cheated myself, lol.

Now someone like you, canadan, mikedean441, jman, etc etc etc. Those are the type of people that I see as Captain types for these events. The type that someone that had been on this place for a few weeks would know already that they're basically the heart and soul of this place. The "smiter" types might be fine to make the event (hint, hint:)) but I think should be ruled out as captains until they're one of the few dozen or so that would be looked on as the "captains" of this website.

So I'm firmly behind option 1 even though I know that it rules me out.

And I don't think we necessarily need years of evidence for #1 to work - I know some people brought up #2 as a way to incorporate newer folks. I think there have been people who have come here recently that have very much shown themselves to be great THPers and who would do a great job in this spot.

thpers or THPers?

Lot of great arguments in here for both options, based on the history of the event and how it has gone from the beginning to the new iterations I vote option #1 - I think if you cover the three tenets, Engagement, Activity and Reedchard rule you would be a true THPer that I would have no problem playing for.

I would go with option 1. I think content and activity weigh more than some briefly worded input to a contest for this particular event.

Option 1. Every AC member on the forum has an equal opportunity for the 12 available spots and each one of the lucky participants will have another chance to prove themselves worthy of a captain's pick for the next year. Contests are great but JB basically gives the captains the ball and asks them to run with it and not everyone is able to live up to that commitment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As much fun as contests are, THP has an impeccable track record picking captains that lead to a great time for the participants and a wonderful follow for us at home. So I would choose option 1.

I definitely like option 2 as Cobra would have a say in it.

I think I like option 2. Captain is a little bit more involved, so I have no issue widening the search and getting input from the sponsors.

Option 1. THP has done a great job in selecting previous captains.

Back