I think option 1, I've only been here one year, but being a Morgan Cup captain seems like a tradition that should go to someone who has been around for a while and is well known and respected. Who better to decide than JB and staff, who have been around for a while and are well known and respected.

I'll vote for #1. Having been lucky enough to have participated in a MC, I saw only some of what is involved but I feel it should be someone who has shown themselves to be capable to THP. And Cobra.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

The 2019 Morgan Cup has been announced as returning and the MVP from last year is one of the captains, voted on by his previous teammates.

If you are unaware of what the Morgan Cup is, it is a weekend of golf at an incredible resort, where each of the THPers in attendance is fully sponsored by Cobra and PUMA Golf. 13 club deal, apparel scripting, golf bag and all of the accessories that are to be reviewed by each participant.

Here is the question we pose to THPers as we move towards putting out more info on this incredible event.

1. THP chooses the captain based on three simple factors. Content, Activity and Rule #1 (Don't be a Dick)
2. We open it up to everybody that is an Albatross Club Member to submit something short and sweet and we let THP and Cobra/PUMA Golf decide based on those.

We ask for your input and please do not put "I dont care either way sounds good". We genuinely are interested in your feedback, but also keep in mind, it will be one of these 2 options. So in asking, please don't say "Option 3, I get to be captain" or "my closest buddy THPer Sir Trolio deserves it".

Thanks everybody, looking forward to your feedback.

Just my opinion, knowing the nature of this event, and the prominence that this event is both personally (for JB & Morgan) as well as for the THP community, I recommend that we use Option #1.

Why? The event is special personally for you and GolferGal, as such you should be involved in picking those that will represent you as a captain (they are your consigliere for that team). Second, I like for this to be seen as a personal selection, and it will mean more for those who are selected, and it also increases the bonds to the "Morgan Cup" aura. Third, this is not a normal competition even for THP, as this is the Founders foundations namesake... THIS IS THE FREAKING MORGAN CUP!!!!

As well, you have done enough events, and seen the interaction first hand and seen that it is not necessarily just the vocal ones that make the event the best event. (fitting the dont be a dick) Those who can reflect the servants heart of Morgan, and are caring for the team first, should be selected!!

Lastly, having been to my first event, I could only imagine how much more having someone help, guide and build a plan around the event would magnify every aspect of it. The captain can help with all the little things like posting, and pushing on people to be fun and competitive, as well as encouraging them to share/tell the story. which clearly makes the foundation of a KILLER event.

I think it should absolutely be option #1. This event is too special to take any chances on the captain not being 100% committed to the event.

The 2018 Morgan Cup to me was a lifetime thrill and something special I’ll never forget. I believe the event is enhanced by both the familiarity of how important the event is to our founders as well as the significance the experience is to the participants and that the Captain enhances the experience even further. My vote is for #1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like option 2. I like the ability to put my best foot forward and hopefully have it recognized by the awesome companies involved. I've had some great interactions with the fine people from other vendors from previous events, and it'd be a lot of fun to add Cobra/Puma to my list.

The 2013 Morgan Cup is something I will never forget, and I'd love an opportunity to experience this wonderful event again.

Definitely interested in the responses here...

While option 2 could be fun, I think option 1 is more appropriate for this event. THP has a handle on who meets the 3 factors more so than Cobra would from responses to a contest...I think??

A Morgan Cup a captain shouldn't just be someone who can type up a nice response for a contest. It should be someone the forum can get behind and want to play for

I’m with Captain Jeremy on this one. There are so many upstanding, awesome pillars in this community and I think THP knows what they are doing when choosing the captaincy for an event of this magnitude.

Option 1 !

I vote option 2. Think it’s a great way to involve the community and the sponsor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would select option #2. I think there are some great people on here, and even if they are not high posters, or not the sharpest in how they word things, I believe there are a lot of leaders that could be great Captains on this forum and a short and sweet post to have the Cobra/Puma, THP groups pick is a great thing shows involvement from the sponsors.

Option 1 for me, this event has a ton of history and great memories for everyone who has followed and or played in it. It’s more than just golf when you tee it up at The Morgan Cup. Impossible to explain how important a Captains role is in bringing 2 groups of guys together and the bonds and friendships that comes out of all this event has.

Option 2. It’s a great way to get more people from the forum out to events. Such a great group of people here that I think it would be fun to get the sponsors involved as well. This is such a great event and would be an honor to be a captain at it. Bummer is I’m not a captain but just a First Officier. Lol!!!!

Option 2 doesn't sound bad as everyone I have met so far here has been great, there is definitely a large pool to choose from. Still I would vote for option 1 for an event like the MC.

I like option 2. Here is why. In option 1 you mentioned that you are looking at content and activity. I read a lot of posts that i don’t comment about. I just dont think a one word response works for me. If i say something it will usually have some meat. Thats just who i am. Maybe my choice would have been different had i not gone to the ultimate weekend. The group i met was fantastic. Sometimes ppl will have no chance if you measure activity level. Whether or not we are active in posts should not have a big impact on being picked. If we post with good content it should mean something if we dont post a ton of one word answers. Just the thoughts of an old fatboy

Definitely interested in the responses here...

While option 2 could be fun, I think option 1 is more appropriate for this event. THP has a handle on who meets the 3 factors more so than Cobra would from responses to a contest...I think??

A Morgan Cup a captain shouldn't just be someone who can type up a nice response for a contest. It should be someone the forum can get behind and want to play for

Maybe true but it says "we let THP and Cobra/PUMA Golf decide" so THP is still involved in the decision so I say option 2 sounds more interesting

Option 2

Not sure I understand option 2 completely but if it were to nominate a fellow THPer and tally up nominee mentions that would be cool

Not sure I understand option 2 completely but if it were to nominate a fellow THPer and tally up nominee mentions that would be cool

Just say “Sir Trolio”

At least you guys don't need a taskforce. :)

Just so long as they go option 1... which I even voted for.

Come on, who wants to play on "captain smiters" team. Heck I wouldnt even want to, lol. Although I think the pre-match speeches could be epic! Move over William Wallace, I got this... lol

Option 2 might just require a task force. So if option 2, retain either a 51% voting capacity OR have veto power:)

Being a Captain

Option 1
I have to agree with a lot of others that option 1 seems the most appropriate. I am sure the THP community would submit some great responses for CPG and THP to choose a fine and dandy captain....however, this event in particular is something special not only for the sponsors but for the ownership of this community and those who followed along last year should understand why. It’s a bit bigger than some people getting together to play some golf and have some fun. (At the root of it...that’s what it is) But, there is a history that goes along with it. A tradition that needs to be carried forward from the last two captains (Puttin4bird and Tadashi70) . An emotional factor that belongs in this event for everyone that gets in it to experience . It’s just different and I think THP needs to have confidence in whomever that other person is that they will not only represent the community well but carry the tradition forward for years and years to come. That’s done with activity, content and attitude (ohh and not being a dick)

Option #1

There are some great members here that are very deserving and would do a great job helping the rest of us feel like we're there, as well as leading their team.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Option one is how captains for this event should be selected. The Morgan Cup has always had great Captains who are leaders here on the forum. Having THP select the next one will ensure this remains true. Save the contests for the players.

I do like the idea of THP contest but not for MC Captain.... Option 1 is better suited to deliver a captain who will represent THP, CPG and the virtues in this community.... seeing first hand what it meant to Jake and Panda as captains was really cool and moving but understanding the meaning, history and importance..... option 1 is the best play.

I would probably have to go with Option 2, as long as it doesn't turn into a nomination game as I don't feel that is fair either

Option 1 automatically excludes a lot of people regardless of how long they have been on the forum - as an example, I have been here for a few of the Morgan Cup events, but for various reasons I don't post anywhere near as much as I read

There are a lot of threads on the forum that I have read but not posted in because I can't contribute anything to the conversation, or because I don't agree with what people are saying but realise it is pointless to try and debate it at times because there have been cliques that just descended on the poster or the threads have descended into flat-out arguments and I can't be bothered to get involved in that kind of thing

Just because someone posts a lot means nothing to me, the number of threads with the short 'Awesome!' and 'Can't wait' posts shouldn't be used as an indicator of content or activity in my opinion

This post alone could mean I never get selected for any event, but it is my feedback, and that is what was asked for

Back