A number of people speak of post count and nowhere has that ever been a consideration in choosing a captain. We read the posts, not just look at numbers. Everybody has the ability to review and discuss their equipment and other equipment. Being that some events have a criteria in place that says participants must review, choosing a captain in the past weighed heavily on those that choose to engage in equipment and golf conversations.

A number of people speak of post count and nowhere has that ever been a consideration in choosing a captain. We read the posts, not just look at numbers. Everybody has the ability to review and discuss their equipment and other equipment. Being that some events have a criteria in place that says participants must review, choosing a captain in the past weighed heavily on those that choose to engage in equipment and golf conversations.
Yep. Content, not count.

I'd say Option #2. It retains the element of Option #1, but allows people to be creative and also interact with Cobra/Puma.

But perhaps there is an Option #3? Take Option #2, and allow THP to present to Cobra/Puma a list of the candidates that meet the "quality" standard that we've all come to expect from THP captains. Then work in a final challenge, and Cobra/Puma works with THP to come up with the best, that will embody the spirit of the Morgan Cup.

Unless that just winds up being too much work, and then I'd just go with Option #2.

It is all well and good asking for people to engage in discussion about equipment, but when you don't have the latest and greatest gear or access to it, that isn't possible. And as for stores around here, you are lucky if they have a regular and stiff flex option in the stock shaft that you are allowed to hit, which isn't exactly conducive to in-depth conversation

If I received some gear from an event then yes, I would talk about it, but I haven't so I can't

I get that some people live in golf stores, play golf 24/7 with one of their many sets of clubs but some of us aren't able or interested in doing that, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't make a good captain of a team

Again, just my reasoning behind why I picked Option 2, whether that be popular or not

It is all well and good asking for people to engage in discussion about equipment, but when you don't have the latest and greatest gear or access to it, that isn't possible. And as for stores around here, you are lucky if they have a regular and stiff flex option in the stock shaft that you are allowed to hit, which isn't exactly conducive to in-depth conversation

If I received some gear from an event then yes, I would talk about it, but I haven't so I can't

I get that some people live in golf stores, play golf 24/7 with one of their many sets of clubs but some of us aren't able or interested in doing that, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't make a good captain of a team

Again, just my reasoning behind why I picked Option 2, whether that be popular or not

Im not here to argue with you, but one does not have to try equipment to discuss it. Could be as easy as asking questions, talking about technology, etc.
Its not about popular and posting ones opinion does not eliminate them from chances. However someone having an opinion that is not accurate in how things are chosen, we think its best to at least offer up how captains have been chosen in the past, as well as make simple suggestions on engagement for those that would like options in the future, since THP has a full calendar of events each year.

Trust me JB, I was certainly not trying to argue and if it came across that way I apologise, I respect what you (and the staff / OEM's) have done for the community and how you continually look to improve on everything you do

It was merely my personal view based on how I have seen things happen in the past elsewhere, but I know that you always strive to stand out from the crowd in terms of what you accomplish

I still hope to be in a position to attend an event in the future and I would happily buy you a drink (despite not drinking myself) and to get to meet some of the miscreants, I mean members, on here :D

Option 1 for me. It’s consistent with THP in general!

I like the unknown element of option one. Those that actively participate in the forum is a more dynamic selection process rather than submitting formal entries. I trust the THP team in selecting someone that embodies what it means to be a captain and a representative for thp so I’m going to go with option 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being a Captain

I’d vote for option 1. Think it’s not unreasonable and ultimately is good for the event to pick a captain based on that criteria set.

I can really go either way on it,

I honestly like option #2 the most. Open it up to everyone that wants to take on the task. A newcomer's take on how they captain, and how they interact is always neat to see.

I see how option 1 can be ideal as well though. You want a proven track record of someone who can pull a team together, really rep the brand the best, and really get the forum involved.

I would pick Option 2, only because I would want everyone to have a shot at a great event. Maybe there is someone out there in the wings that is a great Captain & you don't know it yet. In previous events, you have seen already certain individuals that have the passion, the drive, the dedication, of being a Captain. Not to sound out of line, but some of those same people would be considered in the running just because of their track record. Giving everyone a shot at speaking their mind, short & sweet, about the product & the event and what it means to them .... that should be the decided by the THP community & Cobra/Puma golf.

I would pick Option 2, only because I would want everyone to have a shot at a great event. Maybe there is someone out there in the wings that is a great Captain & you don't know it yet. In previous events, you have seen already certain individuals that have the passion, the drive, the dedication, of being a Captain. Not to sound out of line, but some of those same people would be considered in the running just because of their track record. Giving everyone a shot at speaking their mind, short & sweet, about the product & the event and what it means to them .... that should be the decided by the THP community & Cobra/Puma golf.

The THP community does not decide in option 2. Then it becomes a popularity contest, and not what is best for the event itself : )

The THP community does not decide in option 2. Then it becomes a popularity contest, and not what is best for the event itself : )

Oh well in that case, I change my vote to Option #1 :)

Option 1. I tend to think the people that meet the requirements of option 1 would excel at option 2 anyway. People that meet the criteria of #1 stand out in the community anyway...being a captain is a non-trivial undertaking and the captain is the primary face of his / her team with Cobra/Puma.

Without reading through all the responses, based off of JB's opening post I would say Option 1. This is the Morgan Cup and I'd rather see the Captain be selected here based off past involvement. This isn't the event to open up that opportunity to everyone.

I like option 2. Having Cobra/Puma in on the decision is why I would say that.

Think option two is the best. Let the cards fall where they may.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall, I think option 2 is pretty cool but in reality option 1 seems like the most realist bc being a captain has responsibilities. I have seen some of the stuff Frank has had to do for the #TheGrandaddy but I know there is so much behind doors that I have not seen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I like #2, I think the sponsor should have say in it.

I'd say option 2. I've never agreed with option 1. What defines Content and Activity? 1 post per day...10 posts per day...1 post per week? Thing is everybody has a life that impacts them differently. Some can live on these boards while others can only visit sporadically. Does this mean they should be disqualified? Is being popular a qualification? What about those who when they do post get no response or engagement? It just seems that since THP always claims that everybody is welcome or don't have to be a great golfer, or whatever then you shouldn't qualify admission to an arbitrary metric of Content and Activity.

Just my opinion. It'd be nice to win something at some point LOL.

I'd say option 2. I've never agreed with option 1. What defines Content and Activity? 1 post per day...10 posts per day...1 post per week? Thing is everybody has a life that impacts them differently. Some can live on these boards while others can only visit sporadically. Does this mean they should be disqualified? Is being popular a qualification? What about those who when they do post get no response or engagement? It just seems that since THP always claims that everybody is welcome or don't have to be a great golfer, or whatever then you shouldn't qualify admission to an arbitrary metric of Content and Activity.

Just my opinion. It'd be nice to win something at some point LOL.

Go back and read the post JB made earlier on this, content and activity aren't mutually exclusive to post count.

Go back and read the post JB made earlier on this, content and activity aren't mutually exclusive to post count.

I did read it and I stand by what I said. Again I can't live on this board so it would seem content and activity would auto disqualify me or frankly anybody else who doesn't post 20 times per day. I honestly have no idea what you guys use for that standard which I why I posed the question in my response. For once it would be nice to not be talked down to in every damn thing I post here.

I did read it and I stand by what I said. Again I can't live on this board so it would seem content and activity would auto disqualify me or frankly anybody else who doesn't post 20 times per day. I honestly have no idea what you guys use for that standard which I why I posed the question in my response. For once it would be nice to not be talked down to in every damn thing I post here.

Edited.

I was just trying to help out, but as such I will steer clear from now on, no problem, good luck and godspeed.

Last edited:
Option #1- Agree that you need a vet behind the wheel here. With a familiar name/face being Captain, it’s easier to establish a team environment and have confidence in that person. That’s who I would want to play for personally.

Back