Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

This thing was a bomber for me. I will save the thoughts to the THPers that test it out this weekend with the FlightScope data, but I love the sound, its explosive and offers a totally different feel than that of GBB or DBD. The sound reminds me if GBB and XR from last year got together and had a baby, a big bad arse baby, its like that.

It has this fierce like design when you take the headcover off that is kind of inspiring in a modern technology kind of way. I think people are really going to like it.

as of now close enough to knock GBB out of the bag? Playing with speeder shaft?

pumped to hit this! something tells me I'm really going to like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can not wait till Saturday, this is a great looking driver! I am sure it performs amazing knowing Callaways previous clubs.

This thing was a bomber for me. I will save the thoughts to the THPers that test it out this weekend with the FlightScope data, but I love the sound, its explosive and offers a totally different feel than that of GBB or DBD. The sound reminds me if GBB and XR from last year got together and had a baby, a big bad arse baby, its like that.

It has this fierce like design when you take the headcover off that is kind of inspiring in a modern technology kind of way. I think people are really going to like it.

I feel very homer'y with the blue, but I love it. Such a great combo, and the dark contrast looks fantastic.

This weekend will bring a lot of completely unbiased feedback to the forum, and I can't wait for it.

I have to be dead honest, I spent my time with RFC in Cali, then did my fitting and wandered into the putting studio on Cloud 9, I never even hit this at The Grandaddy, obviously baffled I forgot to but my mind was in a very happy place regardless

I haven't seen too many Grandaddy contestant signatures with this driver. I was wondering how many tried it and why it didn't make the trip back?

I haven't seen too many Grandaddy contestant signatures with this driver. I was wondering how many tried it and why it didn't make the trip back?

Probably was never an option as a club to choose.

Probably was never an option as a club to choose.

Considering it hadn't been released, I would imagine it had a lot to do with stock in hand, and Callaway building out an entire bag for the guys overnight.

Considering it hadn't been released, I would imagine it had a lot to do with stock in hand, and Callaway building out an entire bag for the guys overnight.

Agree a lot with this. The heads on sight may have been the only heads available, not to mention if they didn't have a LH head how that may have been pretty sucky for our backwards friends

Agree a lot with this. The heads on sight may have been the only heads available, not to mention if they didn't have a LH head how that may have been pretty sucky for our backwards friends

Sucky? I think they'd be doing alright as a lefty at ECPC haha

Sucky? I think they'd be doing alright as a lefty at ECPC haha

They'd get a fun hand me down or two, if I recall from photos. What lefty wouldn't be down for anything in the reject bag!

I love the looks of this driver and from JB's comments yesterday it makes me really really want to give this driver a few swings.

Hit my 5 balls all pretty good, thought I killed it with a couple. 201 total long one, reality sucks

As mentioned below, not an option, it was pre-release at that point.

Looking forward to more feedback coming in on this, as well as a full review down the line. It'll surprise some, as we have already seen in the live testing thread.

Based off of feedback here and in the Live Thread, this needs to be in my hands, soon! This happened to us when we were there for the Grandaddy. Pre-release XR was outperforming my Alpha 815, but we couldn't game it. SO, if this one can hang with the GBB and outperform the XR in my bag? Then it's going to get it's chance, too!

A lot of thoughts coming from this one from me soon.....

A lot of thoughts coming from this one from me soon.....

This is the teasiest post ever. I was ready for a Beags Bomb on my mind with XRiness.

I shall wait patiently though.

We got some awesome data on this driver. We will have some really interesting stuff coming up soon.

the sound of this driver was nothing distracting at all. it was a bomber for some, and I liked the ball flight. I am starting to think that callaway wood feel may not be for me, but there's no arguing with performance. I could absolutely game this thing, as I saw some really nice ball flight with it. I'd need to look into how high of loft this is offered, because this could be a weapon for me. beags murdered this all day long. he was actually hitting it so far he was finding himself a little too close for comfort into the par 4s. definitely go hit this, because it will fit a lot of people.

First 2 swings I took with this driver were certainly not my best and resulted in low pull hooks. These swings were also my first 2 of the day. The next three were bombs, for me, though. The first two with my typical draw and the third pretty darn straight. Could definitely see some great potential with some time to dial it in. Don't know what kind of numbers were produced on any of the swings but the final 3 produced ball flights I could certainly get used to watching fly down the fairway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
From the club testing today I have decided I need to hit this.

Ok, so here goes...

I didnt know a whole lot about this one before the range, so was excited to get my hands on it as well as watch others hit it.

I got to stand behind the FlightScope and watch the date roll in as everyone hit it, and I was impressed, and cant wait to see what JB throws at us in regards to data.

As far as my impressions with this driver? I played it off and on throughout the round with my Cleveland Black, and outside of the first hole dont think I missed a fairway (if you dont count my breakfast ball, then I didnt miss one, I dont think).

What did I see... Well, this one gave me an interesting ball flight, my numbers on the FlightScope showed a very low launch angle, but height of my shot was where I needed it to be. So that gives me a low launching drive that just climbs up and carries. My carry numbers were just about 1 or 2 yards off my total yardage for my swings on the FlightScope. Getting some more range time with this one, and then back on the course would be ideal to really watch the ball flight and assess it further, but it was nothing that bothered me at all, and i enjoyed watching the ball just climb, climb, climb.

As far as results, I wont lie, most drivers do similar things for me, and this one did not disapoint. Stop me if you have heard this before; Pretty much, I set up down the left of the fairway and high a nice cut back to the middle of the fairway... Predictable. Reliable. It just did what I expected it to do. It jived with my swing and gave me solid results.

Distance was nice, typically getting them out in the 240-250ish range. I think my FlightScope numbers had me in the high 240s in carry yards, which I will take every day of the week.

The swing with this one was effortless, just felt smooth throughout the entire swing, popped the ball and gave me good results. A very solid offering from Callaway, and one that I could see myself gaming. More time with this one will give me more thoughts, but initial impressions had me digging it.

I really liked the sound. The head is a great shape. With the one good swing that i put on it, the ball just kept going and climbing. I do not know what my numbers were but it felt great. Another great product from Callaway.

Back