Trying To Break 90 Club

Played Christmas eve because of very unexpected mild weather conditions. After not swinging outside for probably a month I ended up shooting a 94 (44/50) and the main reason I wasn't in the 80's was because of the putting. The greens, as expected, we very furry and the speed was hard to gauge, but my iron striking was great and I had a VERY good day of GIR.

Trying To Break 90 Club

Very rare 50 degree January day so I'm sneaking in a round. Stacked up behind a senior scramble tournament so it'll be a little slow... I'll post updates to pass the time.

Started on 14 (due to the tournament) and am +11 thru 8. Rough start but made par on 2, 3 & 4. Waiting on 5 tee.

EDIT: hit FW and GIR on 5... three putt bogey. Grrrr

EDIT: Got greedy with driver on the short par 4 6th... missed the FW, made bogey. Bogeyed 7 too. +14 thru 11 holes.

Last edited:
Bogeyed the par 5 8th. +15 thru 12. Missed an 8 footer for par.

Bogeyed 9, double on 10. Sitting at +18 thru 14.

Shot a 47/43 for a 90 today and the back is a lot tougher, left a downhill par putt about 3" short on 18 to break 90. Felt pretty good for having not played much lately even though the front 9 was a little rough. +11 through 6 and finished +18. 2 penalties on the front trying to get my GBB driver dialed in, too much draw setting and hooked a couple into the woods. 34 putts, barely missed so many putts though and could have been a lot better, FIR and GIR were pitiful today. All things considered I feel pretty good about where my golf game could go in 2016.

Finished at 97. Got cold, tired and didn't stay focused. Played the whole round with one ball, though. That's a plus.

Finished at 97. Got cold, tired and didn't stay focused. Played the whole round with one ball, though. That's a plus.

It was fun following along and I can't remember the last time I can say I played one ball for 18.

It was fun following along and I can't remember the last time I can say I played one ball for 18.

Probably sounds like an excuse but I made a mistake by not stopping to grab a bite at the turn. I ran out of gas down the stretch.

Probably sounds like an excuse but I made a mistake by not stopping to grab a bite at the turn. I ran out of gas down the stretch.

I've done that way too many times in my life. I always make sure to bring food and a bunch of water now, it definitely plays a role by the last 1/3 of the round.

Need to stop the 3 putts... and the occasional 4...

Last edited:
Scored 88 today with a 40 putts round..

Nice round, imagine if you could shave a few putts

That's my guess ! I usually hit anywhere between 34-38...

There was 4 temporary greens and frost ! I have a hard time dealing with frosted/then wet greens... In my head, I think they will be slow but no.. oh no!

Yeah frosted greens are the worst.

Yeah frosted greens are the worst.

You begin the round... they're so quick, then you have to guess will they be quick or slow... Same with the approaches, I hit an excellent 52* , very high, hit the green about 5 yards before the cup... In the summer, I would have got a nice back spin but today, it hit some ice and bounced about 15 feet in the air on it's way off the green!

First round of the year. 46/46 for a 92. Great round but should have broken 90 for the first time.

7 pars on only 3 GIR. short game and putter (32 putts) had a decent day. A snowman on 2 and triple on a short par 3 were painful. Most painful was a double bogie on a par 5. I was sitting only 165 out after a monster drive. Pulled my approach left of the green and lost the ball in the pine straw. I looked for about 10 minutes (open course) knowing that a lost ball would likely sink me. Instead of an easy par or birdie, I carded a double.

It's finally turning cold. Not sure how much I can play the rest of January. Happy New Year to all and good luck on your golf quests.

47/44 for a 91 this morning. Nothing really outstanding or bad. The easiest par 4 on the course plays at 334 yards, leaked left of the tee out of bounds, then got a dose of the chunks and carded a triple.5 Pars, 8 bogies, 4 doubles and the triple. Hit 5 GIR one of which was a par 5 then proceeded to triple putt. Total putts 30, and 50% of fairways hit. I'm starting to get a double miss again with the driver, so the last few holes the trusty 3 wood came out. Until I get reliable off the tee with my driver I think the next few rounds will be 3 wood only.

This is the year to get below 90 and float around the mid 80's.

Last edited:
Of the 7 pars of my last round, my tee club was 4i, 4i, Driver, 3hy, 3hy, 3w, and Driver.
Teeing Off with less than driver has helped me over my last few rounds.

Course and game management for the win.

My goal for 2016 will be to break 90 more often. Last year I did it 3 times but would love to do it on a consistent basis. Finding time to practice is not easy

Played the Ryder course at PGA Village today from the grays on what was a very wet drenched course and cart path only 69.7/116 from 6224. Pretty much zero release and many balls cut a trench in the turf up landing in the fairway. Shot a 46/43 for and 89 an esc of 88 as I took and 8 on a par3(penalty and poor play)

1-bird(missed several ops)
6-pars
5-bogeys
3-doubles
1-trip
1-quad

37putts(4-3's, 3-1's 11-2's)

11/14-FIR all w/driver
6-GIR
1penalty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My goal for 2016 will be to break 90 more often. Last year I did it 3 times but would love to do it on a consistent basis. Finding time to practice is not easy

Just working on the swing even without hitting balls will do wonders, get in the right set up, proper takeaway, proper position at the top, dropping into the slot on the down.

Nice playing with an 89. When I shot 89 last year I bested both of my playing partners including a par at 18 in almost complete darkness. Gotta love breaking 90.

Played the Ryder course at PGA Village today from the grays on what was a very wet drenched course and cart path only 69.7/116 from 6224. Pretty much zero release and many balls cut a trench in the turf up landing in the fairway. Shot a 46/43 for and 89 an esc of 88 as I took and 8 on a par3(penalty and poor play)
Nice round, especially in those conditions. Sometimes I play better when I'm annoyed by the conditions cuz I think less about my golf and more about the rain/sogginess/whatever. :D

Just working on the swing even without hitting balls will do wonders, get in the right set up, proper takeaway, proper position at the top, dropping into the slot on the down.
I'll second that. My fitter gave me a couple setup tips and I've been working on that in the mirror and while watching TV, just to try to make it more of a habit/second nature. It's helping.

Trying To Break 90 Club

Nice playing with an 89. When I shot 89 last year I bested both of my playing partners including a par at 18 in almost complete darkness. Gotta love breaking 90.

Thanks, I bested our group today but it felt like I shot 100 cause of a poor short game.

Nice round, especially in those conditions. Sometimes I play better when I'm annoyed by the conditions cuz I think less about my golf and more about the rain/sogginess/whatever. .

It was 3days of the wettest course condition I've ever played in and cart path only lots of casual water and cart path only.

I do this often. Sweeping the carpet helped shallow out my swing too.

Back