Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried the approach of leaving the long clubs at home and just try maybe a 6 or 7 iron as your longest club? The link below is an interesting read:

http://pluggedingolf.com/break-100/

It may seem like it's not golf, but I may give it a try in the spring. I rarely play 18 and mostly stick to 9 holes, but have yet to score an honest no mulligan less than 50.

Dave

Dave, it seems a reasonable approach. (No pun intended.) If you think about it, a 140 yard 7-iron, hit 4 times, nets you 560 yards. That covers darn near every par 4 on the planet, and a lot of par 5s. Then it's just a matter of putting.

Dave, it seems a reasonable approach. (No pun intended.) If you think about it, a 140 yard 7-iron, hit 4 times, nets you 560 yards. That covers darn near every par 4 on the planet, and a lot of par 5s. Then it's just a matter of putting.

I think the hardest part with this approach and giving up the woods is it starts to not seem like golf. Unquestionably last year the driver was a disaster club for me and did more harm than good, but it is still fun when do you catch one flush and it goes bounding down the fairway.

I noticed we have a lot of similar clubs. How are you liking the G20s?

Dave

The problem for me (and I suspect many times there's like me) is that there's no guarantee I'll hit that 7 iron four perfect times. I'm certainly much better with it than I am hybrids/woods, but it's still not an automatic straight 140 yards.

While that strategy is designed to minimize errors, anybody adopting it is likely some who makes quite a few errors.

It also is a bit problematic to be the one guy in a foursome playing that way. After a tee shot, everybody else has to stop halfway to their ball so you can hit your second shot. They then knock their second shots 200 yards onto (or near) the green, and your third shot still leaves you 60 yards out...and that's if everything goes perfectly.

My group of friends would be fine if I decided to play this way, but I wouldn't want to subject strangers to it.

Shot a 107 at Dormie Club from the hybrid tees (6264 yards). 8/14 FIR with only one miss to the right. A couple of the left were off the fairway by a couple of yards. Played on one ball today. 35 putts, two three jacks. Had to take one penalty on an unplayable lie, which accounted for one of my snowmen.

Kept pace with the driver, and if my iron striking hadn't failed me at inopportune times, a sub100 round may have been a possibility. Three 8s and a 9 killed me though.

Overall it was good. Had fun with the Carolina crew, and happy with my driving. Need to download my round to see my driving distances.

Nicely done deuce! Looks like you guys had a blast today.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Yeah, we had fun. My goal was to break 100 ... would have been happy with a 99, but gave up too many strokes with bad shots. It's a good starting point for 2016 though ... I feel confident I can meet my goals for the year.

53/50 for a 103 today. I started out with three 7s and ended with an 8...it was a pretty good round in between. A bogey is a good hole for me, and I had 11 of them today. That is by far the most I have ever carded. I had several par putts that would be makeable for somebody that could actually putt, and I sunk exactly 0 of them.

45/46 for a personal best at UNC Finley course. Played the whites at about 5800 yards. 10/14 FIR, 37 putts. Nothing worse than a double bogey. Very excited about the tee game and I wish I had the three three putts (all for bogey) back on the back nine, and the lost ball penalty on 17 ... oh what coulda been!

Was so close to posting in the Breaking 90's thread! LOL.

Round was played in 2 hrs and 20 minutes.

Last edited:
45/46 for a personal best at UNC Finley course. Played the whites at about 5800 yards. 10/14 FIR, 37 putts. Nothing worse than a double bogey. Very excited about the tee game and I wish I had the three three putts (all for bogey) back on the back nine, and the lost ball penalty on 17 ... oh what coulda been!

Was so close to posting in the Breaking 90's thread! LOL.

Round was played in 2 hrs and 20 minutes.

Nice Deuce!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, what are your vices?:angel:
In all seriousness, you could treat yourself to something that will assist in that goal, whether it be a new club, some lessons, or some other golf-related gear.

Hmm, golf gear and watches are my vices! I could use a new cart bag, perhaps an Ogio. There's also the allure of a new putter...

The putter would be the one to help me consistently break 100 though. Decisions.

I think the hardest part with this approach and giving up the woods is it starts to not seem like golf. Unquestionably last year the driver was a disaster club for me and did more harm than good, but it is still fun when do you catch one flush and it goes bounding down the fairway.

I noticed we have a lot of similar clubs. How are you liking the G20s?

Dave
Dave, I noticed this as well. I really, really like the G20s. I feel really comfortable swinging them, and am pleased with the result. I just got the 7-wood in and think this will be the "Save me!" club I need.

Has anyone tried the approach of leaving the long clubs at home and just try maybe a 6 or 7 iron as your longest club? The link below is an interesting read:

http://pluggedingolf.com/break-100/

It may seem like it's not golf, but I may give it a try in the spring. I rarely play 18 and mostly stick to 9 holes, but have yet to score an honest no mulligan less than 50.

Dave

I think if you're a real beginner, this is a great way to play the course. It not only will speed up play, but you'll lose fewer balls in the process. You must keep practicing with your longer clubs at the driving range and getting them under control. The key to this is that you do not play the same tees as your buddies.

You play up at the red tees or 5000 yd tees.
Why? Because you are only hitting the ball 140 yds instead of 230 yds off the tee. You need the forward tee to help you here. I can almost guarantee you'll break 100 IF you have a decent short game and can putt reasonably well. Your goal here is to bogey every single hole. You could conceivably score an 86 by getting two pars on two of the par 3s, and two pars on two of the short par 4s and scoring bogey on all the other holes. But if we allow for a few duffs along the way I'd say you stand a very good chance for a 92. Just leave the driver and woods at home. That way you're not tempted and you won't get talked out of it.

Then when you get better, you move back to the 5600 yd tees and play your hybrid off them. You'll hit the ball about 190 yds.

Then when you get better, use your 3W from the 6000-6200 yd tees.

Then when you get better use your driver from the same tees, unless you're bombing it over 250 yds and in the fairway regularly, not just once in a while. If it's only going 230 - 240 yds. don't move back to the blues.

Even though I have broken 100, and 90 for that matter I still feel a great deal of accomplishment any time I do because I remember when I couldn't. My handicap has went down over time but will always go back up without putting the time in.

Shot an 89 on a simulator today. It's not the same, I know, but it's by personal best on a sim.

I've hit a few balls, but never played a round on a simulator. I can only imagine what my score would be. It messes with my head and swing something fierce. I legitimately wouldn't be surprised if I shot 150+.

I had a weird round today. I shot a 96 (on a par 66 course) that felt a lot worse. It turns out it was a feast or famine round for me. I had two 7s on the only two par 5s on the course. Everything else was 5 or below, or 8 or above. Three snowmen and two 9s are what kept it from being a pretty spectacular round for me.

Par 3s are usually my nemesis, but they treated me pretty well today. There were 8 of them on the course, and I averaged a bogey with nothing worse than a double (and a birdie on one). I hit irons from the tee box better than I probably ever have before.

Hmm, golf gear and watches are my vices! I could use a new cart bag, perhaps an Ogio. There's also the allure of a new putter...

The putter would be the one to help me consistently break 100 though. Decisions.
Then a putter it shall be!

47/49 for a 96 today at Conway Country Club. Had issues with holes 8, 9 and 17, 18. They happened to be the same holes because CCC is one nine, but with different tee boxes for the "front" and "back". This meant there were a lot of people stacked up at the end trying to finish their rounds and so the waiting game screwed me up. Took snowmen on #17 and #18 because I was getting frustrated watching a guy essentially hit every shot at a ninety degree angle. Otherwise, I again had a decent (for me) round going. Gamed the STX Xform1 today and had 15 putts on the front and 16 on the back. Driver wasn't as good as it has been, but I still finished 9/14 FIR. Sliced the last two holes, but a lot of that was due to my "hurry up and wait" on the last two holes before I had to get home.

Not sure I'd ever play here again. The grass on the greens was about a half inch high (where there was grass at all), fire ant hills dotted the rough, and it was too crowded for a nine hole course. People were nice, but there is way too many places to play in that area to go back there.

47/49 for a 96 today at Conway Country Club. Had issues with holes 8, 9 and 17, 18. They happened to be the same holes because CCC is one nine, but with different tee boxes for the "front" and "back". This meant there were a lot of people stacked up at the end trying to finish their rounds and so the waiting game screwed me up. Took snowmen on #17 and #18 because I was getting frustrated watching a guy essentially hit every shot at a ninety degree angle. Otherwise, I again had a decent (for me) round going. Gamed the STX Xform1 today and had 15 putts on the front and 16 on the back. Driver wasn't as good as it has been, but I still finished 9/14 FIR. Sliced the last two holes, but a lot of that was due to my "hurry up and wait" on the last two holes before I had to get home.

Not sure I'd ever play here again. The grass on the greens was about a half inch high (where there was grass at all), fire ant hills dotted the rough, and it was too crowded for a nine hole course. People were nice, but there is way too many places to play in that area to go back there.

that's a good score for a place that doesn't seem optimal on a day that doesn't seem optimal. not letting a crummy course, guys playing slow, etc. get too much in your head and mess you up is excellent. well done.

Deuce, I'm right there with you. Waiting on a backed up course makes me nervous for some reason and I start making bad shots. If you happen to come across any way to keep the rhythm intact while waiting or someone waiting on you, please share!

Those putting numbers sound great in spite of the green conditions. Way to go on that!

Then a putter it shall be!

Yes please and thank you! Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Daytona being delivered today! Maybe I can break 90 with it next week...

Yes please and thank you! Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Daytona being delivered today! Maybe I can break 90 with it next week...
Sweet!

Just got mine. It's such a sexy putter. I think it's either this or my STX XForm1 for a long term spot in my bag.

Good job !

Played Cog Hill on a sim, worked on the swing a little, changed to a stronger grip, seemed to gain a little distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back