new irons for a mid hdcp player

weemohack

Reaction score
Handicap
My current index is 12.4. Irons are more the strength of my game vs driver for sure. Currently playing callaway XR irons w/ a 7 iron carry distance of 155-160. I will be purchasing new irons this fall and was curious what others in my range have tried and any feedback you might have. I did a quick demo days a couple weeks ago and Titleist fitter got me my lie and length. Today I was able to check out demo of Z 585 and 718 AP1 set to correct lie and a standard loft 919 hotmetal to try out. I will be able to hit shots on the course tonight and hope to decide on the head I want. Tomorrow I have an actual fitting set up so I'm hoping we only fine tune shaft options at that point. I will update in the next couple days but anyone have any feedback?

You're a lower index than me, but I was going to mention the Srixon irons. The 545/565/585s are absolute money. And you could always go with a combo set too.

Last edited:
Hit everything you can and narrow it down from there. So many good options out there. Make sure it is something that fits your eye, feels good and you have confidence in. That should tick all the boxes.

I'm a mid-13. I've been playing the W/S C300 Forged. They have been awesome, and are very competitive price-wise. Hit them if you can.

Hit everything you can and narrow it down from there. So many good options out there. Make sure it is something that fits your eye, feels good and you have confidence in. That should tick all the boxes.

+1
d.png

Srixon Z 585/Z 785 combo.

This^^^^ and your the only one who can or will know regrdless how anything may look, feel, and perform for anyone else. Check um all , swing as many as you can, leave out very little., dont be tied to one brand or model.

I've played my ping i20's from when I was a 14 now down to 8. With the color dot system it is easy to make sure that you're getting the irons in the specs you need. Getting fit is really important as well. Of the two you mentioned the Srixons are really really sweet and very forgiving. The 5XX series has been really nice. I'm a player who takes pretty aggressive divots so I stick with cast irons. Don't forget the JPX series from Mizuno as a sweet set of GI sticks

^^^^^ This, definitely this

This. Also make sure you get the right shaft. I discovered from my fitting the shaft made a much larger impact than the head did. At least for me it was that way.

Definitely get fitted, finding the correct shaft, flex, like, etc are as important as the head itself. Ihit the Srixon and honestly didn't love them, the Ping G400's are what I ended up getting. After the Cleveland event, I can tell you the CBX irons are even more forgiving than them. Once you get your fitting, swing any and every club until you find what works best for you.

My current index is 12.4. Irons are more the strength of my game vs driver for sure. Currently playing callaway XR irons w/ a 7 iron carry distance of 155-160. I will be purchasing new irons this fall and was curious what others in my range have tried and any feedback you might have. I did a quick demo days a couple weeks ago and Titleist fitter got me my lie and length. Today I was able to check out demo of Z 585 and 718 AP1 set to correct lie and a standard loft 919 hotmetal to try out. I will be able to hit shots on the course tonight and hope to decide on the head I want. Tomorrow I have an actual fitting set up so I'm hoping we only fine tune shaft options at that point. I will update in the next couple days but anyone have any feedback?

How is your ballstriking with your irons? There is a ton of forgiveness built into the sleeker irons these days, I would look at everything out there and hit everything, it can’t hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love irons too and I agree with the others, go somewhere and hit everything you can, something will just feel, look, and perform right. Once you find the head, find the shaft to power that head through the ball the best with your swing. Then give the set time, remember with irons you're breaking in 6-8 new clubs, not just 1 like a new driver. It's going to take you a bit to get all your distances dialed in again and get comfortable hitting all those little touch shots you use out on the course.

Yup. Irons are neither a strength nor a weakness for me. I'm pretty average with them for my level and I float between MB and GI. I hate the way the game improvements look but those MB's just look so tiny behind the ball on a bad day. I'm trending to more sticking with the GI, but I can play pretty much anything that isn't offset much. The GI and SGI that are way offset are worthless to me. If I do somehow manage to make decent contact they are hook machines.

Best bet, hit em all. Throw out anything that doesn't look right (as stated for me it's offset and/or a rediculously thick topline). Then from the ones that look right to you go with what you hit best. Tons of choices out there.

I'm just about the same as you sitting at a 12.7 cap at the moment. Irons are my strength and I love my Srixon 765s. Tons of forgiveness and the miss is very playable. Obviously try everything you can demo before making a decision.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hit everything you love to look at ... if irons are a strength, try the Mizuno 919 Forged. The smaller head, as opposed to the large HM, makes it more playable from different lies. Distance is excellent, and you do have forgiveness. I also hit the Ping i210, i500, and could have gone with them, too. But I thought the 919F would offer consistency and distance.

Thanks all. I ended up ordering the z585's. I absolutely loved them! I was surprised by the fitting some as I've always played standard lie regular flex. Fitting was 2 upright and stiff flex according to the shaft optimizer. I did hit the stiff flex further in practice but dispersion was better w regular. Then we found a heavier regular flex stepped 1 hard and perfection! Well as perfect as my average swing allows anyway. The hotmetals and AP1 both felt like shovels compared to the 585

Glad you found something you like, best of luck and hit them well. Let us have some feedback when you get them and get them on the course.

Thanks all. I ended up ordering the z585's. I absolutely loved them! I was surprised by the fitting some as I've always played standard lie regular flex. Fitting was 2 upright and stiff flex according to the shaft optimizer. I did hit the stiff flex further in practice but dispersion was better w regular. Then we found a heavier regular flex stepped 1 hard and perfection! Well as perfect as my average swing allows anyway. The hotmetals and AP1 both felt like shovels compared to the 585

Congratulations! The Srixon irons are excellent. Enjoy them.

Back