Would you ever game a set gap or AW with a different irons set?

OITW

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone would game a set wedge from one set with another set?

I don't think I would but I'm not sure.

I did this once for my MC set of cobras, I had an amp cell set down to PW and got a GW from the AMP cell Pro line before I went to the rusty wedge, it worked ok, but the two profiles were so different it almost created more of a visual problem for me when switching. I run into the same thing now if I have different wedges/brands/types.

I might replace my 50° GW/AW with a true wedge such as Callaway MD3/4 or Vokey, etc., but I would never replace it with another GW/AW from a different set of irons.

Not a chance. I'd likely drop the GW all together and just do partial PW shots. Makes no sense, I know, but I couldn't do it.

I just did this. Went from a stock gap to a MD 48 wedge.

Gap wedge? Maybe. Now a days some gap wedges are around my usual pw so in that instance yes. If the set gap wedge is around 50-52 then I would say probably not as I want that to be shaped different or have a unique grind for versatility and different short game shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done it. Gamed a Mizuno JPX 800 Pro GW quite a bit with the Srixon Z545 iron set. Sold the JPX set (4-P) when I bought the Z545's but kept the GW because I really liked it.

When I got the Rogue Pros, I almost swapped out the Rogue Pro AW for the Apex CF16 AW... I could do it.

I don’t game in set wedges other than the pw. My gap is always separate

Right now I am playing a Cleveland CBX wedge in this spot, so I guess you could say I would.

Right now I am playing a Cleveland CBX wedge in this spot, so I guess you could say I would.

You took my advice from another thread... Sweet.

Yep. Have, and would again.

My W/S C300 Forged are 3-PW, so I needed a GW to throw in there. I threw my Apex CF-16 AW in that slot, but that club is so different from the C300s in every single way that I couldn't keep it there. I ended up filling the gap with a CBX 50*.

I took out CF16 50* and replaced it with CBX 50*.
I also took CF16 PW out and replaced it with Z765 PW.
It took out the left side on short approach shots.

You took my advice from another thread... Sweet.

I was told by I think tpluff at the ultimate weekend that I need to try one of those suckers out haha. Heard plenty of good about them.

If the loft matches the rest of the clubs, why not? Its not as if the clubs know what brand or model they are.

I bought a M4 AW to go with my test irons. Might get the LW too.

I stand by the opinion that any club you would take full swings with as a matter of routine should be part of your iron set. But given how much less often I'm giving my gap wedge a full swing, I'm pondering replacing it with a non-set wedge.

If the loft matches the rest of the clubs, why not? Its not as if the clubs know what brand or model they are.

As I mentioned a few up, it depends on how you play with it. If it’s for more full shots then really whatever you’re comfortable with. Many though want the versatility a non branded/set gap wedge can offer as you can find different grinds/shapes to fit your game. No right answer in this one. Just based on what you’re looking for.

No, I don't think my OCD would allow me to do this. Even if the lofts added up, I couldn't see me using the set GW of one set of sticks in the GW slot of another set. If it wound up that way by accident, I'd game it out of necessity for that one day, but once I got home, I'm fixing it and making sure everything is consistent.

I might do this shortly. The rogue pro Pw isn’t fitting my eye just right and it’s causing some issues. Might go with XF Pw or apex MB PW

Yes, gaming the Apex MB AW with the XForged. Actually feels like a pretty good match and fits perfectly.

I have. Nike VRS Forged AW was so good for me, I kept it in the bag with another set for a few months.

I have before

Why not ?

Back