Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

Hit the 8 iron on the range today(at Live Club Testing), at address the inserts are a non issue. I actually like seeing the tech. My first hit, perfect probably the same distance as always. (nothing on the range was going well, unless you count the XXIO Prime) Toe hits result is a baby fade with maybe a loss of a yard but surprising for the swing put on it.

These irons will make your shots more consistent. Give me a couple rounds with these and I can see dropping at least 2-3 strokes.

Hit the 8 iron on the range today(at Live Club Testing), at address the inserts are a non issue. I actually like seeing the tech. My first hit, perfect probably the same distance as always. (nothing on the range was going well, unless you count the XXIO Prime) Toe hits result is a baby fade with maybe a loss of a yard but surprising for the swing put on it.

These irons will make your shots more consistent. Give me a couple rounds with these and I can see dropping at least 2-3 strokes.

Nice dude, the feedback on these has been nothing short of impressive.

With these irons in the bag next to mine all day, I decided that I should hit them. And, so, I did.

I know some people have talked about looking down on them and having the inserts be noticeable and bothersome and all that, but lets be honest, I put this club behind the ball, focus on my shot and swing my swing. I didnt have time to sit there and think about if the club had insert going on or not.

The large face of these frame the ball well at address, and the bigger topline is really not noticeable at all when getting ready for a shot. With the graphite shafts 441 had in these, they had a bit of head heft to them, but all that was not noticeable during the swing.

What I noticed was that these got the ball in the air fast, they were very accurate, and holy crap did I smack the ball around with them. Without a doubt, my best iron shots of the day came with these. Really surprised at the height I got with these on my shots, typically struggling with lower ball flight, that did not seem to be an issue with these. As far as forgiveness goes, there has to be a ton, because I dont think I even noticed if I was off of center of the face or not?

Two shots come to mind with these;

I think it was Hole 14? Par 5, I was sitting about 235 out or so, so I figured I would lay up and give myself a wedge in to the green (because my wedge game is so hot right now). I asked 441 to give me the distance to the "Carts >>>" sign in the fairway and he told me "176 yards". Sweet, I'll play a 7i (typically 165). I smoked it, and literally was sitting right next to the sign I asked for a number off. 1. That's a long 7i for me. 2. The little sign in the fairway was my aim spot, and I put it right on the money." Long and accurate. I'll take it.

#18, Par 4, about 160 to the pin. Smooth swing on an 8i in the rain and flush it. High, long and drop it dead in to the green, pin high about 10 yards to the left. Ball landed and stuck and spun back a touch. The 8i C200 did exactly what I wanted it to do, and was just effortless to swing and control.

High launching. Accurate. Smooth. And, the perfect word for these is "controllable." Each swing I took with these, just seemed like the ball was going to do exactly what I needed it to.

These were fun to hit. A SOLID offering from W/S.

Clubs look nice. Sounds like the testers really like the performance.
If I'm running Wilson I am hiring some marketing people; more specifically, some website designers.
The on-line presence is weak for this age of social-media driven golf.

Nice dude, the feedback on these has been nothing short of impressive.

Honestly WS has never been on my radar, but is making a huge jump to the top of the list!

Nice thoughts beags. Did the lighter shafts make you feel like you had to back off on the swing or could you go at it?

Nice thoughts beags. Did the lighter shafts make you feel like you had to back off on the swing or could you go at it?
I am a fan of lightweight shafts, so that wasnt anything that bothered me. I had no issue swinging hard with these and getting after it.

I am a fan of lightweight shafts, so that wasnt anything that bothered me. I had no issue swinging hard with these and getting after it.

I think Wars a fan of light weight shafts and had no problem going after it :D

Great write up and thoughts War. I'm almost sold and haven't touched one yet! That will change soon though.

JM

No clue why that triple posted.

Sorry.

:bulgy-eyes:

I think Wars a fan of light weight shafts and had no problem going after it :D

I swing a heavy shaft and felt like you can really go at with these. It just instills confidence.

Also took a few swipes with these on the range. While the ground was wet, the ball cut through the turf really nicely with no excess digging, even in very soft conditions. As others have mentioned, the ball elevated very quickly and on a very straight line. In my case, if it wasn't straight then it was a straight pull.

If these were bent to my specs more, these would be incredibly fun irons that would be very much point and shoot.

Also took a few swipes with these on the range. While the ground was wet, the ball cut through the turf really nicely with no excess digging, even in very soft conditions. As others have mentioned, the ball elevated very quickly and on a very straight line. In my case, if it wasn't straight then it was a straight pull.

If these were bent to my specs more, these would be incredibly fun irons that would be very much point and shoot.
#lieangles

The range was soggy to put it nicely, it did cut through very well without closing or opening the head. I know I will drop strokes with these bad boys.

Gotta love the point and shoot aspect of these. Glad you got to hit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The on-line presence is weak for this age of social-media driven golf.

Dude, do you follow @WilsonGolf? Their presence is anything but weak. They've been killing it.

Referencing twitter I'm not sure I agree that they have been killing it. Twitter is an aggregator of sorts for me. I use it for one stop shopping for news, updates, etc... Again, for me they need to put links in the twitter posts concerning the subject matter. Instead they just say something like, "counter balanced technology in the #infinite putter adds weight in the head and grip". The pictures are nice though... I just went back and scrolled through recent posts by them and they don't do links. If they did that it would point readers to the web site where they then further expound on the merits of whatever was the point of their post in the first place. The companies that are using social media more correctly are blogging and linking the content, etc... As for the web site I like it as much as any other club manufacturer, which is to say it's OK, but not great.

Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

Got a voicemail from my local Golfsmith, they'll have a demo 7i by the end of the week. It didn't sound like they plan to have any actual sets in the store though, which if true would be beyond disappointing.

Got a voicemail from my local Golfsmith, they'll have a demo 7i by the end of the week. It didn't sound like they plan to have any actual sets in the store though, which if true would be beyond disappointing.

It doesn't surprise me, unfortunately. The one nearest me only had 7i of D200, C100, and v4. Everything on the racks was TM, Ping, Cally with a bit of space for Mizzy, Titleist, and some Cobra.

I did see a couple sets of Srixon sticks and a smattering of Fourteen when I went in last, so maybe there could be some hope, at least here. I know that doesn't help you though.

Fair enough! I took a quick glance at the C200 specs and felt, from my own POV, that there was a decent amount. No, it wasn't the level of a Callaway or TMaG, but for me it was a good amount. Like I said, IMO I think a lot of people rely more on websites like THP for in depth reviews and user feedback rather than a manufacturer's website, but I also know that we all research in our own different ways.

Also, I will freely admit that I'm looking at things through a W/S homer's eyes as well! :angel:

I didn't mean to step on anybody toes with my comments, and if I did, I apologize. To me, having all of the information on a website is important not only to learn about the clubs, but also to make a comparison with other clubs on their website. I know that each manufacturer is going to put a spin on their particular club line, but then it's up to me to determine which is full of BS and those who I believe and would like to test. Last four years I have played the AP1, prior to that, Cobra and Ping. Getting older (mid-sixties) my swing isn't as consistent and my distance has suffered. I don't like clubs with a lot of offset, but these look very similar to my AP1 in terms of offset. If I had that information, I could either eliminate them entirely or put them on my list to try. Same thing with the shaft. I'm seriously considering going graphite, but would like to compare them to my XP95 steel shafts I have in my irons now. I know that you can't compare graphite to steel, but things like weight, torque value, and launch to me mean something. I like a mid-high to high launch, if the launch is low, to mid low, then I know that these shafts aren't for me and I will look at other shafts. I feel that when manufacturer releases clubs, every bit of information should be on the website pertaining to the club, just the same as buying any other item. You wouldn't buy a smart phone, tv, or anything else without knowing it's specs, same with clubs. Getting off of my podium now, but would like to say that I enjoy reading the reviews and plan on testing the C200 in graphite. Now the problem is finding a fitter would has a cart with the shafts and heads for me to test!

It doesn't surprise me, unfortunately. The one nearest me only had 7i of D200, C100, and v4. Everything on the racks was TM, Ping, Cally with a bit of space for Mizzy, Titleist, and some Cobra.

I did see a couple sets of Srixon sticks and a smattering of Fourteen when I went in last, so maybe there could be some hope, at least here. I know that doesn't help you though.

Let's put it this way - I'm almost positive I can demo the C200s at Joe and Leighs, which is the brick and mortar of 3Balls Golf, which is about 45 mins from me. I can also most likely hit them at the Golfer's Warehouse in RI, which is 45 mins in the other direction. Having them in Golfsmith, however, a huge national chain, would do wonders for the W/S brand and image a lot of golfers have about them, right or wrong. Also, selfishly, I have a bunch of GS gift cards :D But the point is that we've talked about distribution of W/S sticks going all the way back to the Di11s and no matter how much the chains might tweet about them, if they're not in the stores, it's a problem. I don't want to derail the review with this type of discussion, but by the same token, if they're not in stores for others to hit and review and put up against their current irons...

I didn't mean to step on anybody toes with my comments, and if I did, I apologize. To me, having all of the information on a website is important not only to learn about the clubs, but also to make a comparison with other clubs on their website. I know that each manufacturer is going to put a spin on their particular club line, but then it's up to me to determine which is full of BS and those who I believe and would like to test. Last four years I have played the AP1, prior to that, Cobra and Ping. Getting older (mid-sixties) my swing isn't as consistent and my distance has suffered. I don't like clubs with a lot of offset, but these look very similar to my AP1 in terms of offset. If I had that information, I could either eliminate them entirely or put them on my list to try. Same thing with the shaft. I'm seriously considering going graphite, but would like to compare them to my XP95 steel shafts I have in my irons now. I know that you can't compare graphite to steel, but things like weight, torque value, and launch to me mean something. I like a mid-high to high launch, if the launch is low, to mid low, then I know that these shafts aren't for me and I will look at other shafts. I feel that when manufacturer releases clubs, every bit of information should be on the website pertaining to the club, just the same as buying any other item. You wouldn't buy a smart phone, tv, or anything else without knowing it's specs, same with clubs. Getting off of my podium now, but would like to say that I enjoy reading the reviews and plan on testing the C200 in graphite. Now the problem is finding a fitter would has a cart with the shafts and heads for me to test!

Nope, no need to apologize at all!!! Your thoughts on the info available are completely 100% valid, and thank you for sharing them.

In hindsight, I wonder if Wilson's keeping these irons as part of their overall website and not a dedicated W/S site/brand are what's led to them not going as in-depth on info as a lot of the other golf-centric OEMs. Just a thought.

Back