Tesla Model 3 now the best selling luxury car in the U.S.

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm pleasantly surprised that Tesla is finally ramping up production. The Model 3 finished as the best-selling luxury car and the #5 selling car(not truck/suv) overall last quarter behind the Corolla, Camry, Civic, and Accord. With an average selling price of $56k, in sales revenue, it now holds the #1 slot for cars sold in the U.S.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/10/04/tech/tesla-model-3-luxury-car/index.html

Part of the reason for that is the comparison is model to model. Where Tesla only offers one model in its class, most manufacturers offer multiple (yet still outsold a number of them). But it helps to be able to tout stats like this, when as the article states, they continue to miss deadline after deadline and under deliver on promises.

The car they said would cost 35k and isn't even offering the standard battery as of yet. Fan of the tech in a big way, the brand, like most money people believe, leaves a lot to be desired right now.

Tesla Model 3 now the best selling luxury car in the U.S.

Part of the reason for that is the comparison is model to model. Where Tesla only offers one model in its class, most manufacturers offer multiple (yet still outsold a number of them). But it helps to be able to tout stats like this, when as the article states, they continue to miss deadline after deadline and under deliver on promises.

The car they said would cost 35k and isn't even offering the standard battery as of yet. Fan of the tech in a big way, the brand, like most money people believe, leaves a lot to be desired right now.

They have broken a lot of promises but they are finally starting to deliver and be a mass producer of automobiles. They are no longer just a niche player in the luxury market. A few years ago BMW and Mercedes did not seem concerned with Tesla and now they are gobbling up the U.S. luxury market. Here’s a couple charts that show sales of luxury cars which is where BMW and Mercedes gets a big chunk of there sales.
64637dbcf37be2a396e9d2eff4246482.png

Tesla with just their Model 3 is outselling all the mid/small car models from the other luxury brands.

67e7c44357002031e5ef0e0f14d7d714.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didnt dispute that though.
I struggle to praise companies for sales that continue to mislead at best and outright lie at worst.
Musk just had to settle for 20 million after his latest outcry of nonsense.

Love a company taking money in deposits from people promising delivery time and a 35k car and then when production started said "nope, you can wait until we sell more at a higher price".

To relate this back to golf, any golf company that pulled the stunts they have would be screamed at on these forums for weeks on end.

This may be a silly question, but does that mean actual sales, meaning people acquire their cars and drive them off of the lot, or does it mean orders for cars that are either in production already or have to be made in the future?

Having just gone through a car search for my wife where we considered most of the brands listed in the pie chart, we didn't even consider Tesla. Part of it was because the price was well over the prices for some other cars that we looked at, and we were scared off by the reports of long wait times for the Model 3.

I didnt dispute that though.
I struggle to praise companies for sales that continue to mislead at best and outright lie at worst.
Musk just had to settle for 20 million after his latest outcry of nonsense.

Love a company taking money in deposits from people promising delivery time and a 35k car and then when production started said "nope, you can wait until we sell more at a higher price".

To relate this back to golf, any golf company that pulled the stunts they have would be screamed at on these forums for weeks on end.

I don’t disagree at all. Elon has been a disaster in many ways and has broken nearly all of his promises. The SEC was right to fine him and the company. With all the bad they have done however, it now looks like Tesla will force new competition from the other luxury car makers and in the end the consumer will win.

This may be a silly question, but does that mean actual sales, meaning people acquire their cars and drive them off of the lot, or does it mean orders for cars that are either in production already or have to be made in the future?

Having just gone through a car search for my wife where we considered most of the brands listed in the pie chart, we didn't even consider Tesla. Part of it was because the price was well over the prices for some other cars that we looked at, and we were scared off by the reports of long wait times for the Model 3.

Most likely delivered. In Q2 they delivered 28k Model 3s, as we watched the SUV continue to struggle. As of the beginning of August, they said they are making 6k cars a week. I know more than 25% that preordered had at that time asked to be refunded, which is no surprise based on turnaround and the pricing promises that have not been kept.

That was for cars delivered. You are correct, the wait times are still very long and the average selling price for a Model 3 once you get a larger battery and some extras is about $56k before rebates. They still are really just a luxury brand at the price.

That was for cars delivered. You are correct, the wait times are still very long and the average selling price for a Model 3 once you get a larger battery and some extras is about $56k before rebates. They still are really just a luxury brand at the price.

Same price as my gas guzzling pickup is, I will keep the pickup
Plus if I am paying 56k for a basic “luxury” can I am not going to wait for a delivery, I can drive a BMW off the lot the same day I but it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same price as my gas guzzling pickup is, I will keep the pickup
Plus if I am paying 56k for a basic “luxury” can I am not going to wait for a delivery, I can drive a BMW off the lot the same day I but it

My problem with the Model 3 is that outside of the price, I dont see a lot of luxury. Heck the standard 35k version they havent even made yet doesnt even have motorized seat adjustments. If that is what identifies it now, then that Ford in the garage is a whole lot nicer than the Lincoln sitting next to it.

My problem with the Model 3 is that outside of the price, I dont see a lot of luxury. Heck the standard 35k version they havent even made yet doesnt even have motorized seat adjustments. If that is what identifies it now, then that Ford in the garage is a whole lot nicer than the Lincoln sitting next to it.

That is 100 percent correct.
I looked at the model 3 a few weeks ago and was not impressed for the price.
I love the idea of an electric car but at that price I want good range and good options

That is 100 percent correct.
I looked at the model 3 a few weeks ago and was not impressed for the price.
I love the idea of an electric car but at that price I want good range and good options

I’m with you, I was all in on the Model 3 in theory. I think at this point I’m going to wait until I see a solid product coming in at that price, I’m not worried about “luxury” but I want good range and decent features.

I thought I would pickup a model 3, but between the delivery issues, and the looks of the car I think I'll pass. It's amazing to me that Tesla hit such a home run with the design of the S, but the next two have been fugly.

My favorite thing about the Model 3 right now is that they will sell you one in a few weeks if you will pay an extra 10k, otherwise get to the back of the line.

I get that the Canadian electric car market is not that large. However, the Model 3 is ridiculous here. The RWD model is 60k and if you want AWD it's over 70k.

We were going to put it on our short list as my wife's commute is ideal for an electric car, but I don't understand how they think it's almost 20k more worth of car than something like the Volt.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The numbers are really interesting. I would have thought only on what I see when I drive (Both on interstate and city driving) that some brands would have been much higher and Telsa would have been about where Volvo is. I cant afford one nor do I want one. Seems small suvs are the way to go right now.

The numbers are really interesting. I would have thought only on what I see when I drive (Both on interstate and city driving) that some brands would have been much higher and Telsa would have been about where Volvo is. I cant afford one nor do I want one. Seems small suvs are the way to go right now.

About 50% of all purchased are in CA, which should not surprise many : )
Huge credits, but as soon as their gas tax gets too low, they will find away to do that too.

Huge credits, but as soon as their gas tax gets too low, they will find away to do that too.

I was about to ask where all these cars were going. I’ve seen a handful of Tesla’s on the road.

I see Lexus more than any other brand luxury car, then BMW, then a mix of the rest.

I was about to ask where all these cars were going. I’ve seen a handful of Tesla’s on the road.

I see Lexus more than any other brand luxury car, then BMW, then a mix of the rest.

You are about to see more very soon. Tesla sold more vehicles in the U.S. last month than Mercedes, BMW, Audi or any other luxury brand. This with only 3 models and no mid or small sized SUV, which are the top selling vehicles on this side of the pond for the luxury German brands. Less than 3 years ago the former Daimler AG chair , Edzard Reuter, even called Tesla "a joke that can't be taken seriously compared to the great car companies of Germany" and dismissed Musk as a "pretender."

I bet Mercedes and BMW aren’t joking about Tesla anymore, especially with Tesla having the highest owner satisfaction of any car maker. BMW has taken a lead from Tesla and is taking orders in Europe for an electric car that is 3 years away from delivery.

This all is very reminiscent of the Microsoft chair Balmer making fun of and laughing out loud at Apple when they released the iPhone in 2007.

This graph tells the story of why the Germans are taking Tesla seriously and are all working overtime to release multiple models of of their own all electric vehicles.

e826807b042e06f7299fc2290b3f0319.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have debated standing in line for a Model 3. A good friend of mine has one, and another has a Model X. I want to love the 3, but I just don’t see the value for the price. It’s a great technological platform, but the fit and finish is far from acceptable. I’m taking about body panel gaps that remind me of early Kia models. Some rear bumpers are falling off due to lack of production control.

My point is that while I am a big fan of Tesla, the 3 is far from what you would expect to see for a vehicle competitive with the big German brands. For comparison, see the Kia Stinger. It’s much closer to a luxury car than what you would expect. Not sure I would buy one, but I was impressed with the value.

FWIW, I have primarily been a BMW owner over the years.

They will be banging the hell out of electric car owners soon. It has been discussed the last year or so and am surprised it hasn't hit yet. The state is so efficiently run I can't believe they haven't noticed the lost revenue to all the electric cars.

My guess is they will jack up the registration costs for electric car owners. So instead of paying almost $300 a year for my 6 year old car it will probably quadruple (I own a 2013 chevy volt because I have solar power at my place).

They will be banging the hell out of electric car owners soon. It has been discussed the last year or so and am surprised it hasn't hit yet. The state is so efficiently run I can't believe they haven't noticed the lost revenue to all the electric cars.

My guess is they will jack up the registration costs for electric car owners. So instead of paying almost $300 a year for my 6 year old car it will probably quadruple (I own a 2013 chevy volt because I have solar power at my place).

California will soon be losing lots of those electric cars owners as many of them are wealthy and they just got a big tax increase with the elimination of the SALT deduction. I have 4 friends who have left the state for Incline Village Nevada, Texas, or Florida in the last 15 months and most of our other CA friends are planning to leave the state and retire elsewhere in the next 5 years. Since February, my wife has had 4 coworkers from her last job in Silicon Valley follow her to come work and live here in Minnesota. They were all native Californians and they are all extremely happy with the move. Of course they may not be loving the weather the next 6 months!

California will soon be losing lots of those electric cars owners as many of them are wealthy and they just got a big tax increase with the elimination of the SALT deduction. I have 4 friends who have left the state for Incline Village Nevada, Texas, or Florida in the last 15 months and most of our other CA friends are planning to leave the state and retire elsewhere in the next 5 years. Since February, my wife has had 4 coworkers from her last job in Silicon Valley follow her to come work and live here in Minnesota. They were all native Californians and they are all extremely happy with the move. Of course they may not be loving the weather the next 6 months!

This is not the thread but it continues the trend of the state trying to bleed everything they can from certain segments then having those industries move to greener pastures in a financial sense.

It won’t matter when most of the state is a barren wasteland as we have not nearly enough rain and no real decrease in how most of the state uses water.

And Consumer Reports just said the Cadillac self driving is better than Tesla's. I dont get buying these vehicles. Nothing about them seems like a quality company, yet people are paying premium pricing for them. HYPE!!

And Consumer Reports just said the Cadillac self driving is better than Tesla's. I dont get buying these vehicles. Nothing about them seems like a quality company, yet people are paying premium pricing for them. HYPE!!
The company footing is a little sketch, but everything else about the vehicles are definitely quality. I haven't known anyone who bought one who didn't love it. You definitely pay a premium but there is some payback.

Bmw and Mercedes swap place as the number one luxury name plate every few years, Lexus is almost always in third I believe. I think they did bump to second one year.

Even if Held onto the top spot for more than a a month, which I am not sure they will do, it would take quite a while before they had nearly as many cars on the road overall.

Back