Hybrids may be gone....

Song Dog

Reaction score
Handicap
I hit the hybrids ok at times but for the most part, I don't. I threw in a older Amp Cell 4I just to mess around. I was more consistent with it. So that got me thinking about the new sticks, I'm looking at.
On the woods, I'll add a 5W and a 4I.
Woods F8
Irons Mizuno HM

Sounds like a good combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always been the same way with hybrids. Thank goodness the Hogan PTx 4 iron came into my life.

Sounds like a good setup - I’m a big fan of the 5 wood.

Hybrids are the best thing since sliced bread. Love em

The only hybrid I can hit consistently strait is my 818 H2, but I have it set at the most open face and open line and I have the weight in the face bias position. It's a rocket launcher in that setup and I love it!!

I used to be Money with my J40 Dpc 4 iron. I'm much more consistent with my Callaway hybrid now though. I keep the 4 iron in the bag for punch outs and snakes though.

JM

I dumped my hybrids for a 5i and Cleveland HB Launcher 4i

I really want to like hybrids but they just don't work for me. Took out the 3H and 4H. Added in a 7 wood and go to 4i from there. 7W is much better for me. 4i mishits are straight but short, but generally better than the unpredictable hooks and slices that went farther.

You can, of course, do what you want. But I wouldn't do it. All the top instructors I know advocate for hybrids over long irons and higher numbered fairway metals (what are sometimes still called woods). On the fairway, you can do fine with either fairway metals or hybrids. Long irons typically do not fly as high and thus settle on the green as well as fairway metals or hybrids. Out of the rough, hybrids are a HUGE advantage. The wider sole gives them a big advantage over a low numbered iron and the shorter shaft and head profile makes it a lot easier to hit the ball solid without plowing through a bunch of grass, which is the problem with fairway metals (there is a reason they are called "fairway" metals).

I get it. You don't hit hybrids very well right now. It's worth learning how. It's usually not that hard and most often involves improving setup, swing tempo, or mechanics that will improve all your full swing results. Quite often the symptom is poor balance, which is accentuated due to the heaver head on a hybrid vs. an iron.

I havent hit a hybrid since before the Ultimate Weekend. I have been hitting my Ironwoods really well. I think that if hybrids are a struggle, some sort of hollow body iron can be a good compromise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I havent hit a hybrid since before the Ultimate Weekend. I have been hitting my Ironwoods really well. I think that if hybrids are a struggle, some sort of hollow body iron can be a good compromise.

And you hit those Ironwoods so well.

I sold my hybrid after 3 years with it. Hit it so solid and straight. Wanted to try out the newer tech as mine was 9,years old. Now just hooking them all the time. Really regret selling that one now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you hit those Ironwoods so well.
I still love them now that I am back home. I am going to pull my Rogue 4 and 5 hybrids out of the bag and go driver, F7 5/6, IW 4-PW. I just love the ease and confidence the IWs give me.

I'm thinking about it too. I hit my King Utility much straighter with a more playable miss.

I'm with you on hybrids, I have a tough time hitting them. Thank God for Ping #4 and #5 crossover irons.

I dumped my hybrids for a 5i and Cleveland HB Launcher 4i

With how I hit my X forged 4i and my HB Launcher today, i don’t need the hybrids

After today, I'm still on the idea of adding 5w and 4I.

Hybrids have saved my game. The PXG sticks are one of the few hybrids where I don’t have to worry about it going left. Also, I’m short at 5’7 and I can’t handle the length of FW’s. My three wood is - 1/2 inch which helps but I barely hit it. In fact, before yesterday’s round I took the 3 wood and left it in the truck.

Hybrids are the easiest clubs to hit, it amazes me when people say they can’t hit them but hit long irons better. I’m all for playing what you want but I just don’t get not being able to hit a hybrid.

Hybrids are the easiest clubs to hit, it amazes me when people say they can’t hit them but hit long irons better. I’m all for playing what you want but I just don’t get not being able to hit a hybrid.
Many, imo, try to hit a hybrid like a fairway and therein lies the biggest problem. It's not easy to make yourself hit a mor bulbous head down and through like an iron for the majority.

Many, imo, try to hit a hybrid like a fairway and therein lies the biggest problem. It's not easy to make yourself hit a mor bulbous head down and through like an iron for the majority.

Pretty much this. It doesn't help that a majority of hybrids are now effectively old school fairway wood size and length with usually a fair amount of draw bias.

Titleist has in its fitting resources that hybrids are usually long iron replacements that are the same length and lie as the iron they are replacing, but then have 40" or so standard length. People I think forget they are a long iron replacement.

You know,,,, I see that. Maybe my issue is just a mental one.

Only carry one hybrid in the bag, and I'm extremely comfortable with it, but to each their own!

Back