Do you ever go "old school" and how "old school" do you go?

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
So for my round on Monday, I'm thinking of breaking out the Cleveland MT 588 irons. They've been sitting around collecting dust, and I bet they're more forgiving than the W/S F5's that I currently have in the bag. Also, since I figured it would be fun, I pulled out my old Cleveland Mashie M4/M5 hybrids and the Mashie 5W (gave the 7W away, which was always a solid fairway). And then, since I went with that much Cleveland, I put the Cleveland Custom XL driver in the bag (really tempted to go Ping K15 here). Wedge-wise, I have to go with the CBX's to stay with Cleveland, and I don't have a Cleveland putter, but they purchased Never Compromise, so I put the Sub 30 in the bag. So Monday, I'll game 12 clubs ... most of which are old Cleveland (I'll "update" my WITB this weekend).

When is the last time you played with older tech*, and what was it?

*I realize I'm really only looking at between 5 to 7 years post-manufacture for most of these clubs ... but even that seems like an eternity ago.

Ive been watching the bay for an old set of W/S dynapowers or other some such iron. Figure those would be fun to walk with playing from the shorter tees.

Never. When I make a club purchase it’s always out with the old and in with the new.

Occasionally I put my hopkin wedges back into play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

588 hybrid is the oldest club in the bag for me right now.

Played 18 with the SpeedBlades last weekend. I do have a set of Ping Eye 2's that I played 2 rounds with earlier this year.

My Ping Eye 2+ irons are always at the ready, though i really like my M4s.

1997 Great Big Bertha 6.5* still moves the ball awesome. Played a month or so with it last year, it was my driver my senior year in high school.

I can't think of a time I've ever done that. Although I would love to have a throwback round where I play with some kind old clubs from back around when I started playing in the 90's.

Occasionally I put my hopkin wedges back into play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m still gaming them. Probably not much longer though.

I’m also gaming this:

72b43a0ef5cb7ca3c0b69b2c23a0c243.jpg

10f6201248344a20aabaa0ee59564d19.jpg

At least once a year I pull out my Taylormade blades from 1980 and my old persimmon Powerbilt or MacGregor woods. I’m planning on doing this again before the end of the month and this year I’m going to also add my grandfather’s hickory shafted putter which a club expert dated as early 1920’s. The irons are really not much different but the woods are significantly less forgiving and about 15 yards shorter. The putter I haven’t had out yet as it’s only been in my possession for a month.

My Wishon irons are from c.2005. Those are the oldest clubs in my bag. I've considered picking up a set of wooden woods (D, 3, 4 maybe), some retro irons, an old sand wedge, and an old putter to game to see how I score with them.

I have a set of Wilson Staff Dynapower irons from the late 60's/early 70's that I use when I play rounds with my kids.

The other day I used my original BB irons circa 1994 and my old Mizuno MSX driver circa 1993. And it reminded me how far equipment has come. I also used some old balata balls I had laying around. Man the spin on those things is insane. Both good and bad.

I will still play my ping s57 irons with ping anser driver and i20 3 wood. When i play the local par 32 short course thats the bag i usually grab. I guess it gives me more of a challenge? My current setup is night/day difference in forgiveness.

Ping ISI-S irons will make an appearance when I need a change. 3-LW set. SFTP 2.0 is the driver. fT-3 are my oldest fairway woods but I haven’t hit those in a while.

Looks like the newest club in my bag is the putter, 2011.

As recent as last year my irons were a set of Ping Eye 2's. I was going to give them to someone I knew where it would have been an upgrade for him (lol) but realized that after over 20 years I didn't want to, too attached. So I bought him a similar set:)

I still hear them calling softly my name from the "good club" corner of the garage every time I go out so I'm sure those old friends will soon find there way back into my bag for a nostalgic round. I also still have a Ping Eye 2 Persimmon driver. I've used it a few times this year. Great punch out Club and I can hit it from the deck well so works as a low running 3w type shot. I can count on a straight tee ball with it too, but give up 50-75 yards. I hit my 4i about the same distance, a little more runout on average with the Ping though.

I putt with a Ping B60 that is 20+ years old. No insert technology or milling. Just a plain face putter, has sentimental value associated with it, and I am much more confident with it than I am with any of the new insert faces. But that's about as old school as I get

Back