Match play pressure situations with the match on the line

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been thinking about this since the Ryder Cup while watching Casey vs Koepka and Rahm vs Tiger coming in. If I remember correctly both Casey and Rahm hit their approaches first and both hit great shots. Both Tiger and Brooks did not. You would think these guys who have done it plenty would not feel the pressure but I couldn't help but wonder if they would have went first if the outcome may have been different?

So...lets say you are AS on the 18th tee do you think its an advantage to go first? If you were going second would you ever consider hitting a lesser club off the tee so you could hit your approach first and apply pressure to your opponent? Or just bomb and gouge it out there and see what happens?

Ive been in this scenario a couple times in THP events and Ive been on both sides of it, hitting first or second. I think I would prefer to hit first. I like playing quickly anyways so standing and waiting seems like more opportunity for my brain to get in the way. But I think this is why its so key to have a short pre shot routine to do every single time. Helps rack the brain and get ready

I don't know that I would lay up so I could go first but I think you have to believe that going first is an opportunity to put pressure on an opponent. I've stood on the tee numerous times and thought "Hit the fairway (or green) and he's going to feel the pressure." I've also thought the opposite after crapping the bed...I just made this shot so easy for him, of course he's going to stripe it. One of the most fun and interesting things about match play is how much pressure impacts people, and how easy it is to see it in effect.

I think the most sensible match play strategy is to play the course as you would when in a medal play competition. Strive for fairways, greens, two putt pars and some one putt birdies.

I don't know about the Casey match, but I am pretty sure Tiger hit his approach first and then Rahm stuffed it way inside his ball with his approach?

If I was in the situation I would just play my normal tee shot - by playing a different club to try and guarantee hitting your approach first is letting your opponent dictate the game to you

For example, would you rather choose to hit a 5i into a green if you are more confident hitting a 7i (regardless of whether you have to play first or second) in a normal round? I know what I would rather hit

Ive been in this scenario a couple times in THP events and Ive been on both sides of it, hitting first or second. I think I would prefer to hit first. I like playing quickly anyways so standing and waiting seems like more opportunity for my brain to get in the way. But I think this is why its so key to have a short pre shot routine to do every single time. Helps rack the brain and get ready

Such an awesome feeling at a THP Event with the pressure there, THPers on the 18th green waiting for groups to come in. Man those are the days.

Would just play it as I would normally play it everyday. Switching things up puts pressure on people IMO because it somewhat takes them out of their comfort zone.

Such an awesome feeling at a THP Event with the pressure there, THPers on the 18th green waiting for groups to come in. Man those are the days.

The Regional Rivalry Ohio vs Michigan is one that comes to mind because of how many non playing THPers that the course let out there to take pictures and watch. It was freaking incredible

Man, I know that any time I try to get cute or baby a shot, something bad happens. I’m playing my normal game and just hoping to hit a FIR and leave myself a nice shot in.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Regional Rivalry Ohio vs Michigan is one that comes to mind because of how many non playing THPers that the course let out there to take pictures and watch. It was freaking incredible

This past year on Day 1 of the Morgan Cup, the 18th green had all of the carts lined up on one side, the ocean waves breaking on the other side and some serious competition coming down to the wire. Last year Staff Proto had a playoff on the 18th hole from 100 yards and all of the THPers lining TPC Vegas watching it unfold. Just awesome.

I don't know about the Casey match, but I am pretty sure Tiger hit his approach first and then Rahm stuffed it way inside his ball with his approach?

If I was in the situation I would just play my normal tee shot - by playing a different club to try and guarantee hitting your approach first is letting your opponent dictate the game to you

For example, would you rather choose to hit a 5i into a green if you are more confident hitting a 7i (regardless of whether you have to play first or second) in a normal round? I know what I would rather hit

Thats a great point and your probably right. I guess I was just wondering if going first is a bigger advantage because you can really apply the pressure to your opponent by hitting a great shot. Think about this scenario. Your both on the green with a birdie putt, your 4 ft with a good look and your opponent has a 30 footer, your thinking yes I'm going to win this hole right? Then your opponent drops the bomb and suddenly that 4' putt turns into a knee knocker

I think the most sensible match play strategy is to play the course as you would when in a medal play competition. Strive for fairways, greens, two putt pars and some one putt birdies.

For the purpose of this question, I 100% agree with this approach. When I get on the tee I'm thinking of just playing the hole like I normally would.

But I think where match and medal play differ is once you're on the hole and something hasn't gone as planned for you or your opponent. I'll change my strategy if I think I'm likely to lose a hole, but could potentially steal a half with a great shot, or if my opponent is struggling I might play a bit more conservative to avoid the big number to let them in it.

I find that during stroke play I don't have that same sense of mental focus and the purposeful approach.

I want to hit first for sure, and I'm picking an aggressive club and going for the W.

A couple of the THP Events I've been in have come down to #18 with the match on the line and theres no better feeling than stepping up and executing a great shot.

I typically come up with a gameplan for each hole prior to the round and try to stick with it. Anything else adds extra pressure that's unnecessary. The times when I try to force a driver when my plan was to hit something different often ends poorly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thats a great point and your probably right. I guess I was just wondering if going first is a bigger advantage because you can really apply the pressure to your opponent by hitting a great shot. Think about this scenario. Your both on the green with a birdie putt, your 4 ft with a good look and your opponent has a 30 footer, your thinking yes I'm going to win this hole right? Then your opponent drops the bomb and suddenly that 4' putt turns into a knee knocker

Alex Noren v Bryson De Chambeau?

I wouldn't expect to hole a 4ft putt, let alone a 30ft putt anyway :D

If your opponent holes a monster putt there is nothing you can do except say 'Well done' and then concentrate on your own putt. Yes, it puts more pressure on the putt but you just have to block it out of your mind and play your own game

It wouldn't even need to be matchplay - imagine having that 4ft putt to break 100 / 90 / 80 / 70 / your PB etc, there is going to be pressure on that putt for any particular milestone, it is all about how you deal with it

So...lets say you are AS on the 18th tee do you think its an advantage to go first? If you were going second would you ever consider hitting a lesser club off the tee so you could hit your approach first and apply pressure to your opponent? Or just bomb and gouge it out there and see what happens?
This happened in the Regional Rivalry (AS going into #9 with a point on the line). IIRC, we teed off second, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I didn't even consider what my opponents were playing, my goal was the same. Put myself into a position to earn that point.

Never been in the situation, but, I think I'd probably like to go second. Seeing what the other guy does gives you a couple routes to choose. If he stripes it, you can choose the "counter-punch" you're most confident pulling off. If he poops the shot, you have options.

I just play it normal. I was down 3 with 4 to go this year and came back, it was just a matter of continuing to play my game and not worrying about the other guy.

I think there is an advantage off the tee going 1st, which makes the hole prior that much more important so you can take or keep the honors going. If you can get a good tee shot off, that could start to creep into your opponent's mind, especially if the match has been slowing going one way or the other.

Now if I am going 2nd, I wouldn't purposely hit a shorter shot to give myself the honors of hitting a 2nd shot. I'd rather just focus on getting my ball where I would like it to be and take it from there. Now if I was between driver and 3w and they go into the drink, I might go 3w, but that's mainly for accuracy instead of lesser distance.

I absolutely want to go first, both off the tee and on my approach shot. Put the pressure on my opponent where he knows he needs to match me.

Match play pressure situations with the match on the line

I’ve been in the situation before, can be nerve racking for sure. For me, if it’s on the tee, I’d want to go first. Just to have the opportunity to hit a great shot and possibly put the pressure on. If it’s an approach shot, I’d want to go last (b/c usually means I would be closer to the green). And if it’s a putt, I’d want to go last. Just knowing you either had to make the putt to stay in it, or could make it for the win (depending on what everyone had done prior to you). For the putt situation, had something similar at Regional Rivalry (on 17, not 18). Was 1 down on the 17th green and went last to make a 10 footer to birdie and win the hole, setting up an AS situation on hole 18). Great feeling sinking the putt, even if almost went deaf from my parter (@themilkman) shouting in my ear.

i don't care whether it's first or second. my approach is generally the same either way. and i would never lay up off the tee just to hit first. that's crazy talk.

i haven't been in too many pressure situations, even at thp events. i don't mind hitting tee shots in front of people, but when the guys are surrounding a green and i have to hit an approach, or a short game shot, the phrase "not your best" is usually applicable.

This is a great question - I’ve been in this situation a few times - it doesn’t bother me first or second because either way My goal is to be in the fairway - the focus is making my number if I don’t because my opponent always has a chance until the ball is in the hole

I've learned to just play my game, even in those situations. If I try to do something I'm not comfortable with it usually ends up bad.

Back