Open and closed stance

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
When I played a round of golf, I have learned that I can consistently hit a straight tee shot from an open stance, but when I hit an iron shot into the green I need to switch to a closed stance to prevent my ball from traveling to the left.

I am posting this to see what stance others use for various shots.

Could this be a "feel isn't real" thing for you? Could be that you're not as closed/open as you think. I know with the longer clubs I tend to be more lined up to the right of target than it feels, so I end up feeling open to the target when I'm square.

I generally have a closed stance with my driver, but a neutral or barely closed with my irons.

It's a constant battle for me, for longer clubs I'm wide open to hit it straight, for mids I'm a touch open, for wedges dead square to a bit closed, and all that works pretty well as long as I don't miss my alignment, but driver is the biggest battle, I waggle my stance closed for some reason.

Could this be a "feel isn't real" thing for you? Could be that you're not as closed/open as you think. I know with the longer clubs I tend to be more lined up to the right of target than it feels, so I end up feeling open to the target when I'm square.

I don’t know about the OP, but this is definitely a new issue with my game. I took some lessons to straighten out my hook. Mission accomplished! Now everything is getting “pushed” to the right. When I remember to make a conscious effort to align my body parallel to my target I hit good golf shots. When I forget, I line up to the right of the target and “push” my ball right. The shorter clubs have less of a “push”.

My push is obviously an alignment issue and something picturing railroad tracks hasn’t fixed for me. Mainly because as it gets further away, railroad tracks are supposed to appear to converge. If I do that with my stance, I’m aiming right. I just need to find the right picture.

Anything is possible. All I know is that when I set up for for a tee shot my stance is definitely an open stance and my iron shots are definitely a closed stance. When I try to go into the same stance for my iron shots that I use for my tee shots the outcome is ugly. Likewise if I go into the same stance for my tee shots that I use for my iron shots, the results are ugly as well. The two stances are quite a bit different from each other.

I think I am similar with my driver which might explain my dead straight push!

Been tinkering a bit with pulling my right foot back. If I move it back just a bit I can get more push from that foot through my hips.

I think I am similar with my driver which might explain my dead straight push!

This was one of the things that was pointed out to me in a lesson that really, really helped.

I was stuglling with iron contact and my instructor recommended that I open my feet up some to help get my hip turning. I have been trying to do that since then and it has definitely helped. It does sometimes mess me up with making sure my body is all aligned to the target. I use an intermidiate point on my target line to line everything up, and this has helped me a lot too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’ve been playing around with stances at the range as well with varying success. Also slightly flared foot placement as well. I think I’m at the point where I have 5-7 different things I’m “working on” so really nothing is connecting and translating to the course. I’m trying to convert my push fade to something more online.

Back