Worst People you have run into on the course?

The way I read it, OP was standing by his dad and the other golfer while they hit up. Only went to look for his ball until the rest of the group was up that far.

That is slow play to me.
Sometimes, for the sake of safety, it may be better to wait for a short knocker, who duffs a few shots, to hit before moving significantly ahead of him, to one's ball.
I am sure you have seen or heard of instances where a misstruck ball has either almost hit or hit you or another golfer?

Sometimes, for the sake of safety, it may be better to wait for a short knocker, who duffs a few shots, to hit before moving significantly ahead of him, to one's ball.
I am sure you have seen or heard of instances where a misstruck ball has either almost hit or hit you or another golfer?
I have. I've also seen the duffer catch one just right to launch it right at my head 100yards away.

I wasn't there with the OP, I don't know exactly the course of events.

IBTL !!

I honestly have never had a serious altercation golfing.

Went on a guys golf weekend with 2 teams of 8 playing team matchplay. A couple of the guys on the other team were pretty arrogant acting during the matches.

My FIL may be the most impatient golfer I've ever played with and that's saying a lot coming from me. Played with him, my wife and her brother and he wouldn't even wait for my wife and I on the green. He finished like we weren't playing and was already at the next teebox.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

One round with one extremely angry individual. Every bad shot was a call for a swear or a club toss or yell. It was annoying and somewhat rattling as I did not know what his tipping point was and did not want to see it. One club toss ended up being one which skipped a few times,his club bouncing off the rocks which ended up in a huge yell. After a few holes I told him to relax it's a game bad shots happen. As you tell by this rant he did not listen. I don't think and also hope not to encounter something like this again

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The way I read it, OP was standing by his dad and the other golfer while they hit up. Only went to look for his ball until the rest of the group was up that far.

That is slow play to me.

It's interesting to me. On the rare occasion that I hit further than my playing partners I usually just march straight to my ball and get ready to hit it but more and more often recently playing partners get bothered by it and want me to stay back. I'm all about playing fast but I try not to be rude and I guess the line is thinner than I thought.

Another one. My partner and I were in match play for one of our Magna Cup events. At the turn we were down 7. The team we were playing was a 5 and a 12 handicap. The 5 was a legit 5 but the 12 was up on the green in regulation on every hole and within 10 feet of the hole nearly every time. Between the two of them, they were -9 through 9 if it was stroke play. Okay fine, the one guy was a total sandbagger but that was not the worst part.

On hole 11 my partner was frustrated because he lipped out a birdie putt that finally would have given us a hole. He tapped in the 6" putt for par. The 5 handicap says "you putted out of turn and we can make you concede that hole or make you re putt it." My partner and I just looked at each other with that WTF look. The 5 then said "but we will keep it friendly and halve the hole". Wow!

Then on 12, the 5 hit is approach shot left and the ball wound up in the flowers surrounding the comfort station. We expected him to hit a provisional due to an unplayable lie. Instead he says "local rules say we get a free drop out of the beds". No where does it say that on the local rules on the score card. Instead of arguing we just shook our head and let him take the drop.

We didn't win a single hole and it was the absolute worst match play experience ever. It made me so bitter that I pulled out of playing in Magna Cup events - too many sandbagger and cheaters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's interesting to me. On the rare occasion that I hit further than my playing partners I usually just march straight to my ball and get ready to hit it but more and more often recently playing partners get bothered by it and want me to stay back. I'm all about playing fast but I try not to be rude and I guess the line is thinner than I thought.
I am frequently longer than my playing partners. This year in a league match, I drove up to my ball and waited at 90°. My opponents yelled at me and said I was rude. I asked him if I should just wait with the rest of the group and progress up the hole in a line? Of course he said yes. I then said that's why 9 holes takes 3 hours in this league.

I am frequently longer than my playing partners. This year in a large match, I drove up to my ball and waited at 90°. My opponents yelled at me and said I was rude. I asked him if I should just wait with the rest of the group and progress up the hole in a line? Of course he said yes. I then said that's why 9 holes takes 3 hours in this league.

Shoot I'll get out of the cart, grab a few clubs and walk to my ball while my cart buddy is getting ready to hit... It's about ready golf. I know 5 hours is pace of play. But to me even 5 hours gets to be too long. That's why when I go, I try and be the first one on the course, get my round done in 2-2.5 hours and head home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one. My partner and I were in match play for one of our Magna Cup events. At the turn we were down 7. The team we were playing was a 5 and a 12 handicap. The 5 was a legit 5 but the 12 was up on the green in regulation on every hole and within 10 feet of the hole nearly every time. Between the two of them, they were -9 through 9 if it was stroke play. Okay fine, the one guy was a total sandbagger but that was not the worst part.

On hole 11 my partner was frustrated because he lipped out a birdie putt that finally would have given us a hole. He tapped in the 6" putt for par. The 5 handicap says "you putted out of turn and we can make you concede that hole or make you re putt it." My partner and I just looked at each other with that WTF look. The 5 then said "but we will keep it friendly and halve the hole". Wow!

Then on 12, the 5 hit is approach shot left and the ball wound up in the flowers surrounding the comfort station. We expected him to hit a provisional due to an unplayable lie. Instead he says "local rules say we get a free drop out of the beds". No where does it say that on the local rules on the score card. Instead of arguing we just shook our head and let him take the drop.

We didn't win a single hole and it was the absolute worst match play experience ever. It made me so bitter that I pulled out of playing in Magna Cup events - too many sandbagger and cheaters.

Fwiw, the other group was correct about the playing out of turn in matchplay. But not the consequences. they could have let the result stand or have your partner rehit. but not concede the hole. I believe.

Fwiw, the other group was correct about the playing out of turn in matchplay. But not the consequences. they could have let the result stand or have your partner rehit. but not concede the hole. I believe.

I know they were right about the rules and that was not the infuriating part. It was the fact that the player made up some bs local rule on the next hole that didn't appear in the official local rules on the score card. If I remember correctly we halved that hole and it was the next one that we ended up losing the match on.

.Im probably the worst golfer on this forum,but I'm taking lessons.Since.I play the white tees and I still can't reach holes in regulation and rarely hit 2 shots in a row in the air.According to what I read here in this thread from the enforcer I should be teeing off from the fairway?I admit I'm very bad at this game

.Im probably the worst golfer on this forum,but I'm taking lessons.Since.I play the white tees and I still can't reach holes in regulation and rarely hit 2 shots in a row in the air.According to what I read here in this thread from the enforcer I should be teeing off from the fairway?I admit I'm very bad at this game

No one is saying that. And no one cares about skill level; it's about keeping pace of play and thinking of everyone on the course as a whole. And that applies to the low handicaps that are slow as much as the high ones.

A few things before I ask a question. First, skill level doesn't preclude you from participating. Better golfers are not more welcome. Golfers are welcome. Just don't be a Richard (you're not nor have you been). Second, enjoy the game to the best of your abilities.

With that said, why not play from the forward most tees?

A few things before I ask a question. First, skill level doesn't preclude you from participating. Better golfers are not more welcome. Golfers are welcome. Just don't be a Richard (you're not nor have you been). Second, enjoy the game to the best of your abilities.

With that said, why not play from the forward most tees?
I should.But everyone plays the whites so I hate to mess up their games.The pro I take lessons from told me to play the red tees all year.This is a very very very hard game for me.If I played in a THP event I would hold up everyone and I would feel terribly embarrassed by that

I should.But everyone plays the whites so I hate to mess up their games.The pro I take lessons from told me to play the red tees all year.This is a very very very hard game for me.If I played in a THP event I would hold up everyone and I would feel terribly embarrassed by that
You are incorrect about the THP event. You are very welcome to attend any event. Skill level has no influence on attendance.

WTF is your problem? Is your name chip because you have one on your shoulder? Why do you continue to attack me?

I read this as you being the problem as well.Are you good enough to play the back tees?This sounds like another reason I never got more involved in golf.Guys like you pushing others to play at your pace or ability.I would be more than happy to wave you thru believe me.And who are you to decide what tees someone should play?If one pays to play,one can play whatever tee they want

who are you to dictate where they play from and how they play?True,they should've let you play thru.But don't ruin the day for them because you want to order them how to play the game.I would wave you thru even if you had a foursome and I was a single.If I'm paying to play,I'm going to play what tee I want to.Not because you want to be the enforcer

troll?Really!All I read here is you enforcing people how they should play this game like you.Have your own club if how other people play isn't up to your approval.

Dude, you need to stop with this attitude right now.

And fyi, playing from the wrong tees because "I paid to play and I am going to play the whole course no matter how long it takes" is a major problem. Others behind you paid to play too and don't want to play a round in six hours. Letting people through isn't the end all answer either, because it takes time to let people through, and then you have more groups coming up behind you. The best course of action is to keep up with the group ahead of you, not to stay in front of the group behind you.

I was playing a round with my brother, and we got paired up with these younger guys. Every shot, one guy would drop a string of yelled profanity. It got grating after a while, but I didn't say anything because I used to be him. Another time a young guy I was playing with, was getting really angryq after every mishit. i told him to relax or he'd give himself a stroke, he settled down after that and had more fun.

If I may, you seem quite defensive. Much of what they're talking about doesn't apply to you. It applies to golfers who should know better, or who have enough ability to avoid making life miserable for others, if they would just use their brains.

In 40 years of playing golf, I've played with true jerks maybe 5 times. I've played with guys in blue jeans that could barely afford the round, and I've played with guys that are multi-millionaires. In one case, I've played with the owner of the course. In 99.9% of the rounds, they were great rounds and we all had a great time, regardless of our respective abilities.

Most people are nice people who just enjoy playing golf - if you let them be that way. Best way to do that is to have a good attitude and play quickly. It doesn't matter if you're a complete beginner. Tee off from the red tees, hit a couple shots and if you're still not on the green, pick it up and drop it on the green. Any time you feel people are waiting too long on you, just pick up. Play cheap or second-hand balls and if one is lost, spend a few seconds looking, but then just drop one and move on.

Keep the conversation light, try not get angry and concentrate on having fun. People won't care how bad you are - if you don't slow them down.

If I may, you seem quite defensive. Much of what they're talking about doesn't apply to you. It applies to golfers who should know better, or who have enough ability to avoid making life miserable for others, if they would just use their brains.

In 40 years of playing golf, I've played with true jerks maybe 5 times. I've played with guys in blue jeans that could barely afford the round, and I've played with guys that are multi-millionaires. In one case, I've played with the owner of the course. In 99.9% of the rounds, they were great rounds and we all had a great time, regardless of our respective abilities.

Most people are nice people who just enjoy playing golf - if you let them be that way. Best way to do that is to have a good attitude and play quickly. It doesn't matter if you're a complete beginner. Tee off from the red tees, hit a couple shots and if you're still not on the green, pick it up and drop it on the green. Any time you feel people are waiting too long on you, just pick up. Play cheap or second-hand balls and if one is lost, spend a few seconds looking, but then just drop one and move on.

Keep the conversation light, try not get angry and concentrate on having fun. People won't care how bad you are - if you don't slow them down.
Thanks Wade.And I'm not a beginner been playing casual golf for a long time.Just can't get this game it frustrates me to no end.I hate picking up the ball,this is one year I'm going to play every shot out.No matter the score or how long it takes.This is why I'm taking a ton of lessons so i can be competitive with others

Thanks Wade.And I'm not a beginner been playing casual golf for a long time.Just can't get this game it frustrates me to no end.I hate picking up the ball,this is one year I'm going to play every shot out.No matter the score or how long it takes.This is why I'm taking a ton of lessons so i can be competitive with others
Please keep in mind that "competitive with others" is not the same as a fun and respectful golf partner.
Keep up pace of play, play the proper tees for your game, and don't be a Richard. That is all anyone wants out of any round of golf.

I can deal with slow play...can't stand people who take constant mulligans, foot wedges, and 10 ft gimmes, and then hear them afterwards in the clubhouse talking about how they broke 80...shouldn't bother me but it does

A friend and I played a round at Beaver River Golf Club in RI back in 2002 when I was stationed in Groton, CT. We were junior enlisted at the time so we decided to walk to save some cash. We get paired up with a couple older guys who I swear to this day were mafia. I'm talking stereotypical Good Fellas like guys who were talking trash to us from the get start. First it was because we were walking and not riding. They weren't that good, and weren't teeing off in any particular order, but the minute one of them pulled a par out of their a$$ all the sudden ready golf didn't apply. On top of that they wanted to bet on everything, and I mean everything. My friend told me after that fact that he was getting ready to fight based on the amount they were talking trash. To this day I have not played a more uncomfortable round of golf.

Always safety first, and avoiding slow play second.

Back