Misleading Info from an OEM? Your Thoughts

Par for the course but not the way it should be done IMO.

Since they don't specifically say "Spieth used these!!" with a big arrow, i'm not concerned. He might not even be playing the current Pro v1x for all we know...

It's golf marketing at its best so it doesn't surprise me at all. Ultimately it doesn't bother me or surprise me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No....but Sneds on TV is a walking advertisement IMO.

If not considered an ad then why does Bridgestone do it? Or is this Sneds doing it on his own?

Interesting. While I understand it, I view it as a player doing it for their sponsor. I mean I guess he could put a plain cover on a club or something. Then again, he played the Bridgestone driver last week.

No biggie for me.

No....but Sneds on TV is a walking advertisement IMO.

If not considered an ad then why does Bridgestone do it? Or is this Sneds doing it on his own?

I think a better comparable with Sneds in mind would be an image of him winning in a Bridgestone add with a picture of the latest Bridgestone driver.

Interesting. While I understand it, I view it as a player doing it for their sponsor. I mean I guess he could put a plain cover on a club or something. Then again, he played the Bridgestone driver last week.

Josh, what is your thoughts on tour pros hitting clubs in commercials they aren't gaming?

I honestly have no idea if this is done by him or if he is encouraged to do it by Bridgestone.

If this is all him then pretty damn cool on his part and my opinion.

Intentionally deceptive/misleading....but not a big deal. Not as deceptive as a Bridgestone cover on a TM Burner driver IMO.

Agree with "clever" wording as well.
My thoughts as well. I think all manufacturers do it to a degree. Maybe not as obvious as this ad but I think they all do it. And if the average golfer not internet golfers like us would they really know a difference or care?

I think a better comparable with Sneds in mind would be an image of him winning in a Bridgestone add with a picture of the latest Bridgestone driver.

Understandable, but to the common viewer it appears that he is playing a Bridgestone driver by looking at his bag and that is misleading.

My thoughts as well. I think all manufacturers do it to a degree. Maybe not as obvious as this ad but I think they all do it. And if the average golfer not internet golfers like us would they really know a difference or care?

The question of the thread is about thoughts on OEMs being misleading (and whether this was a good sample of it). I don't think it was intended to focus purely on Titleist.

Ah, but what shafts was he playing?

No biggie, as most of the OEM's do it to some extent.

Josh, what is your thoughts on tour pros hitting clubs in commercials they aren't gaming?

I honestly have no issue with it at all. Lets face it, they are not using the same gear (tour issue, tweaked, etc). I should say less issue than this. I mean how many ProV1 guys are actually playing the current ProV1? Half?

I honestly have no idea if this is done by him or if he is encouraged to do it by Bridgestone.

If this is all him then pretty damn cool on his part and my opinion.

Its done by the player. He could put a big bird or image of himself on there if he wanted to (in this case).

The question of the thread is about thoughts on OEMs being misleading (and whether this was a good sample of it). I don't think it was intended to focus purely on Titleist.
Oh no I know I didn't take that way either. I think every manufacturer is misleading to a certain extent. Like Cookie said a certain headcover on a different branded driver or when a RBZ FW was painted for Phil. I think everyone does it to a certain extent and would agree this particular add is a bit misleading.

I honestly have no issue with it at all. Lets face it, they are not using the same gear (tour issue, tweaked, etc). I should say less issue than this. I mean how many ProV1 guys are actually playing the current ProV1? Half?

Its done by the player. He could put a big bird or image of himself on there if he wanted to (in this case).

Oh, I agree, just wanted to get your thoughts. I think some could construe it as misleading, but honestly I couldn't care less what tour players are playing. Phil is left handed, and he uses Callaway clubs, but I am not foolish enough to think we are using the same clubs.

If the general public that casually watches or plays golf and reads Golf Digest knew how rarely pros are playing the latest model year gear top to bottom, it would be pretty bad for sales, IMO. I'd also argue that that opinion would go further given Titleist's less frequent releases. So it makes sense that they would include the latest gear in their advertising, and it would be bad business not to.

For the sake of fun and interesting talk would Ping and Callaway be misleading with their crowns that produce a faster a swing? I think now I could definitely be wrong here but for a golfer to to actually see that increase of swing speed they would have to be capable of swinging the club fast enough to produce 175 mph ball speed. You know as well as I do most golfers can't do that so is that a misleading ad?

I think if they promoted it as him playing the latest and and greatest and that's why you should buy when he's playing the older model that would be kinda off-putting, but I don't have a problem with what they've done here.

EDIT: Just saw the 716 iron pic. Still don't really care.

Oh, I agree, just wanted to get your thoughts. I think some could construe it as misleading, but honestly I couldn't care less what tour players are playing. Phil is left handed, and he uses Callaway clubs, but I am not foolish enough to think we are using the same clubs.

Yeah its a tough one. I mean I look at it the way I look at the Van Damme Volvo truck commercial. Yes I am sure a truck could be that straight, but he would not do that stunt with me driving. Or the way I view car companies going through the rough terrain and then at the bottom saying closed course.

I am a marketing fan in a lot of respects, because I love creativity.

For the sake of fun and interesting talk would Ping and Callaway be misleading with their crowns that produce a faster a swing? I think now I could definitely be wrong here but for a golfer to to actually see that increase of swing speed they would have to be capable of swinging the club fast enough to produce 175 mph ball speed. You know as well as I do most golfers can't do that so is that a misleading ad?

I think a nice sample was "the longest fairway in golf" based on a 110mph swing speed from one company. If the crown makes the head more aerodynamic, I don't think companies are required to say at what speed.

I think a nice sample was "the longest fairway in golf" based on a 110mph swing speed from one company. If the crown makes the head more aerodynamic, I don't think companies are required to say at what speed.
I would agree with that. I take the stance of I'm smart enough to realize what I buy off the rack or custom after a fitting is not the same or ever will be the same as what the guys getting paid to play is. So if they want to try and market the newer irons go for it. For the most part marketing doesn't really play into how I feel about clubs but that's just my .02 of course.

I don't even pay attention lol

A little sketchy? Maybe, but it doesn't strike me as a a lie, just creative wording.

I can't see an issue with it. Some will, some won't.

Back