THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

What about best ball with each player needing to be represented by a certain number of holes?

What about best ball with each player needing to be represented by a certain number of holes?
I kinda like it...would be real interesting in match play

I kinda like it...would be real interesting in match play

That way everyone gets to play their ball, handicaps would be easily applied, scoring quick, and nowhere to hide for the higher handicaps.

I just know that whatever the formats are, they will be fun and Team Michigan will emerge victorious.

Alternate shot is always fun, I haven't played pinehurst, but from what I read it soiunds fun as well.

That way everyone gets to play their ball, handicaps would be easily applied, scoring quick, and nowhere to hide for the higher handicaps.
Well i think if you do best ball but combined score that may achieve ur goal

In handicapped events, both players being represented is rarely a concern.

I'm sure many of us have ridden in a cart with somebody who was not playing well and has gotten angry. I know I have and I have also been the person who was angry/frustrated. There is no right or wrong answer, I thought it might be interesting to see others responses.

Scenario...

Your 4 holes into a 9 hole match. Your partner is playing some awful golf, but you still have time to turn it around, however he has become visibly angry with himself. What do you do?

A. Keep trying to talk to him, tell him its no big deal.
B. Start drinking. Heavily.
C. Bear down and focus even more on what your doing you can't control what he does.
D. Get pissed off yourself.
E. Let him simmer and hope he turns it around.
F. Tell him he sucks and you can't wait to get a new partner at the turn.
G. Make him laugh and hope he snaps out of it, you can still turn the match around.
H. Ignore him completely and only talk with the other team.

I think I am A and G. Sometimes you just have to laugh at what is going on and have a good time. Yes it is an even but if the Guantlet taught me anything, it is that having fun while playing can make all of the difference. Also, a reassurance that everything will come in due time is sometimes all a person needs to keep going and turn things around.

Lets talk formats

While I know alot of it is partner dependent, what are some of the formats you are:

1. Havent played before but wouldnt mind playing in this event?
2 Have played before and believe your game fits it well.

1. Modified Pinehurst sounds like a blast. :)
2. Most defiantly Shamble. Gives you a couple of different options off of the tee. It just makes things interesting!

Todays Question

What are your expectations of your captain for this event?

Todays Question

Knowing Jeremy, I trust his judgment to put the team in position to win, keep expectations realistic, forge a team mentality, keep communication open and honest, and ask no one to do anything he wouldn't be willing to do himself.

Todays Question

Since I am Captain I will answer for the opposing captain.

I expect Mike to build a strong team. He has a ton of options to choose from as Ohio has some solid players, but could also make his decision tougher. Having to choose between friends and possibly even relatives is no easy decision. However he has been in the position before and is a proven winner which will make this no easy task for myself. While I don't have as many options to choose from I don't think its any easier for me. I will work with what I have and do my best to create a team that will put up a good fight and hopefully walk away victorious.

Todays Question

I expect a HOF tag!

More seriously though, I expect Mike to put together good pairings. He knows most of the Ohio guys really well and should be able to out us into good pairings that will play well together and have a good time doing it.

Todays Question

Free chutting lessons & a chance to hit his Wilson Staff C200 irons.:alien:

I expect Mike to put together a great team & that everyone will have a blast leading up to this event. I expect him to keep a lot of the Ohio THPers involved in making Team Ohio as prepared as possible - even the ones that don't get chosen for RR will be busy competing & pushing those chosen. I expect him to keep things organized & running smoothly cuz that's what he does.

I wouldnt expect anything from my captain that i wouldnt expect from myself. Open communication, good strategy when it comes to pairings and committing to making the event fun for everyone.

Alright lots of good stuff here so I'll follow up on all these questions.

For the first one, when my partner gets upset I would do some combination of C,E,G, depending on how well I know them to joke around and stuff

I have played Shamble and Scramble formats before so anything beyond that would be new and exciting and I would look forward to it.

A captain to me should first and foremost be charged with creating the attitude for the team. Are we going to be having fun, with a focus on the goal or what? Next up would be making sure the pairings take advantage of our strengths and weaknesses. The captain should also remain centered and try to touch base with all the guys throughout the round to make sure everyone is in the correct mindset, and knows where the match stands.

I expect my captain to chose the best team to put into competition regardless of friendships, family, or affiliations. I also expect him to hold his team to a high standard by setting an example. He should and I know he will give full steam ahead support for those playing and chosen. No need to second guess things. I'm sure Mike can make a decision and role with it, even if it contradicts what the team consensus is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that these are the only Michigan members vying for a spot on the Team. Good news is ALL of us will be meeting up for a sim round this Sunday.

jspangs
rozo22
Michigan Slice
tpluff
Wyzyguy
Stribs
2012BFT
Musicmaster6921
Solid5112
Lions81

I have received interest but no updated info from
Potbunker

If your name is not on this list please send me a PM as it is easier to go back and reference than to dig through this entire thread and I may have missed it.

Here are the questions again for Team Michigan

1. What was your hdcp last year? If you did not keep one, what is your average score for 18 holes? Does it travel? Meaning do score pretty much the same everywhere or do you play the same course all the time?
2. What do you do best on the golf course?
3. What do you do you struggle with on the golf course?
4. Have you played competitive golf or match play in the past?
5. What kind of player are you? Do you like to go for it or play it safe?
6. Do you like to socialize when you play or are you super serious golfer guy?
7. If selected are you willing to meetup a few times for team prep (may involve a little local'ish' travel)?
[/QUOTE]

It appears that these are the only Michigan members vying for a spot on the Team. Good news is ALL of us will be meeting up for a sim round this Sunday.

jspangs
rozo22
Michigan Slice
tpluff
Wyzyguy
Stribs
2012BFT
Musicmaster6921
Solid5112
Lions81

I have received interest but no updated info from
Potbunker

If your name is not on this list please send me a PM as it is easier to go back and reference than to dig through this entire thread and I may have missed it.

Here are the questions again for Team Michigan

1. What was your hdcp last year? If you did not keep one, what is your average score for 18 holes? Does it travel? Meaning do score pretty much the same everywhere or do you play the same course all the time?
2. What do you do best on the golf course?
3. What do you do you struggle with on the golf course?
4. Have you played competitive golf or match play in the past?
5. What kind of player are you? Do you like to go for it or play it safe?
6. Do you like to socialize when you play or are you super serious golfer guy?
7. If selected are you willing to meetup a few times for team prep (may involve a little local'ish' travel)?

Dedication by Team Michigan Hopefuls!

Catching up here:

I have played:

Schamble - Fun.. But not my favorite,
Scramble - Good team event that takes pressure off
Modified Pinehurst - Good Team event that adds pressure.
True Alternate Shot - This is my favorite. No one wants to put their partner in a bad position. No one wants to waste a good previous shot with a poor one. Team dynamic is very important here.
Also a few others: Goofy ones like you play the worst putt chosen by the other team when you get to the green, Play the worst tee shot, etc... Not fun.. Punishing.

What qualities would I like to see in a Captain for this event?

Organization: It will be a busy day I would imagine. Moving with purpose from phase to phase is a must.

Delegation: Let your team help you & be a team. Do not be afraid to ask for help or input.

To have a good time: Everyone is going to this event to have a great time, on a great course, with great people, with great sponsors. I expect the Captain to have a good time as well.

I expect my captain to get things done as always. He hasn't disappointed event wise yet and has a pretty good track record as a captain. Keep on keeping on

Todays Question

Giving thought to the course and picking players who best fit. Thought out team pairings. Being open to suggestions. Organize practice rounds at Boulder, hopefully before he makes the captains picks. Making sure the team knows the situation on course team wise which would be important to the on course strategy. Win

I would expect our captain to start off by picking the best team possible. Next, I would want him to lead and encourage us by building camaraderie between teammates so that we mesh as best as possible and all are aligned to have the same goal of beating Ohio (while having as much fun as possible of course!).

My captain must...
Spoiler
GoForTheW.png

He must also be caring towards others and a model of courage and dedication to his team members by setting lofty goals and working hard to reach them. He must care passionately about the team’s success, about his teammates, and about the sport because here on THP we don't just play golf, we live it!

Todays Question

To use his captain picks to put the strongest team possible together, so he can add to that HOF tag list of his.

Once the team is assembled then I expect open communication on his goals for us as a team and individually, to keep the team talking and pushing each other to be ready for the competition, to make pairings that will work together based on format to be played.

Day of the event settle the nerves of the team, make sure the formats are understood and emphasize to have fun first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

I would expect the captain to round out the team with some solid picks that compliment those that win entry into the event. He would facilitate fun, openness and an environment that will make this event fun to follow along for everyone, not just those that make the team.

Last edited:
Back