Another Spectator Hit in the Head

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Another event, another patron hit in the head. She was treated on site after Hatton's tee shot got her in the forehead.

SNS-15503101-Dunhill-Links-559x372.jpg

Ouch, that looks a bit nasty

I wonder how often this actually happens at events? After last weekend, are we going to see it reported a bit more? Or has it been as infrequent an occurrence?

damn that looks crazy

"not so much here, or here, but right here."

Well...how long before the PGA is going have to start handing out helmets when you walk into an event.

Another Spectator Hit in the Head

Ouch, yea that had to hurt.

What is great about golf viewing, is being so close to the action. If the PGA changed things to not allow spectators on the course and only in the grandstands I think you would see a massive decrease in those going to the events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, I think with the severity of the Koepka hit that there is now a microscope on this incidents, if it were documented, I bet multiple spectators are hit per event with very few being as ghastly as the recent ones.

I still don't think you can change fan locations without completely taking them off the course or putting them in spots where it limits viewing.

Daaaaaamn

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Do we think people are not paying enough attention?
I have had close calls at The Memorial & Bridgestone, but since I was aware that a shot was being played, I was able to move enough to not get hit.

Ouch. How soon until we see some additional precautions taken?

Ouch. How soon until we see some additional precautions taken?

I have a feeling it will be soon.....

I have had close calls at The Memorial & Bridgestone, but since I was aware that a shot was being played, I was able to move enough to not get hit.

I know it will depend on the layout of the course, but I suppose in tournament conditions it just needs a roar from the crowd at the wrong time to drown out any shouts - not that I am trying to make an excuse for anyone who gets hit, but it could be possible?

How many times on a golf course do you hear a shout and for a couple of seconds you have to try and figure out where the shout came from and if it is going to affect you?

I think attendance is becoming more of a social event and less about the actual golf. Those people in turn are not paying attention to what is happening on the hole they are standing on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait ... do I see a Titleist logo there? No, I think it's Callaway :act-up:

That is gonna be a nasty headache and heck of a bruise.

Wait ... do I see a Titleist logo there? No, I think it's Callaway :act-up:

He plays Titleist. Is it weird I looked for a logo?

Yikes! That looks like it hurt.

Well...how long before the PGA is going have to start handing out helmets when you walk into an event.

Hopefully it's the really cool ones that hold a beer on each side with straws.

It's crazy this has happened 2 weeks in a row. I know there is probably someone hit every week at a tournament somewhere. Not sure how they can prevent it outside of forcing everyone to stay behind the players and follow up the holes or limit the spectators to just grandstands.

After Speith zipped one right over my head at East Lake last year I stopped standing anywhere near the landing zone for tee shots and started taking up angles on hills where I get a view of the hole but have no possibility of getting hit...unless Phil is laying up with an iron off the tee.

These recent shots are not people downrange, they are being hit right off the tee. People are WAAAAAAY too close to the tee box

Is it bad I have no real sympathy? This is what can happen with people around you rifling off shots with massive speed and aggression.

I have a feeling it will be soon.....

i agree. when you see it happen on tv and someone gets a little bloodied, but the player gives them a signed glove we can forget about it. but when you have an image people can look at, and you can present a person with a permanent affliction, that sticks in the public consciousness and also provides for somewhat of a pr crisis to the tours. so yeah, i think we are going to see some sweeping change coming soon.

After Speith zipped one right over my head at East Lake last year I stopped standing anywhere near the landing zone for tee shots and started taking up angles on hills where I get a view of the hole but have no possibility of getting hit...unless Phil is laying up with an iron off the tee.

savage lol

True story, my elementary school principal in 4th grade lost an eye due to a tee shot at the Southern Open in the 80's. I only found this out when his glass eye fell out when he was screaming at me and it rolled under my desk. That's the day I learned you should take precautions at a PGA event - you never know when your glass eye might fall out and psychologically scar a 4th grader.

Back