EGGS Store bought or Fresh off the farm?

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It has been a long time since I have eaten a store bought egg. Our neighbor is a hobby farmer who raises chickens (free ranges them) and we buy eggs from her, $1.50 a dozen. They come in assorted colors and sizes. Store eggs in this area are around $2.75-4.50 a dozen so we save a good bit of money.
Just give them a good washing and they are ready to crack and eat, in all the years we have gotten them from her I think we have only thrown out maybe a dozen because they where bad.

So do you eat fresh eggs or do you prefer store bought eggs?

@2BFAST these are great scrambled with a big glass of milk. :clapp:

There are a few farms here where you can buy farm fresh eggs. I keep saying I am going to buy some, but I haven't done it yet. I have never had an egg fresh from the farm, but a good friend of mine only eats them that way and swears by them.

Never had a farm fresh egg before. Is there an appreciable taste or texture difference?

Never had a farm fresh egg before. Is there an appreciable taste or texture difference?

Not so much texture, but the taste is different. My neighbor doesn't use any antibiotics or anything like that. You can tell the difference in color of the yokes, they are darker in color instead of the consistent bright yellow off store eggs.

There are a few farms here where you can buy farm fresh eggs. I keep saying I am going to buy some, but I haven't done it yet. I have never had an egg fresh from the farm, but a good friend of mine only eats them that way and swears by them.

We love them, my wife likes baking with them also as they seem to blend better. She has also uses goose eggs on occasion for baking and they are great also.
I would bet location will determine cost, but very worth it.

There are a few farms here where you can buy farm fresh eggs. I keep saying I am going to buy some, but I haven't done it yet.

This ^^^ but it is usually easier for us to just go the store, which is why we buy from the.

It has been a long time since I have eaten a store bought egg. Our neighbor is a hobby farmer who raises chickens (free ranges them) and we buy eggs from her, $1.50 a dozen. They come in assorted colors and sizes. Store eggs in this area are around $2.75-4.50 a dozen so we save a good bit of money.
Just give them a good washing and they are ready to crack and eat, in all the years we have gotten them from her I think we have only thrown out maybe a dozen because they where bad.

So do you eat fresh eggs or do you prefer store bought eggs?

@2BFAST these are great scrambled with a big glass of milk. :clapp:

Fresh when I can find them - they taste better! You do need to crack them into a glass (I use an actual glass) before you pop them into anything, to ensure they're not bad, but they're way better.

Farm fresh. We have a friend that sells them to us for $3 per dozen, but it’s worth it. Nice yellow tones, and the birds are free range organic fed.

Farm fresh.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better tasting than non.

I've always wanted to get farm fresh but I'm too scared. Not sure really of what though. I think I'm paying $4+ a dozen for brown eggs in the store. A farm up the road from us has them for $3 a dozen or 2 for $5. They've got a bunch of cows too, so they could probably make a killing selling fresh milk to go along with their eggs or some fresh steaks.

I've always wanted to get farm fresh but I'm too scared. Not sure really of what though. I think I'm paying $4+ a dozen for brown eggs in the store. A farm up the road from us has them for $3 a dozen or 2 for $5. They've got a bunch of cows too, so they could probably make a killing selling fresh milk to go along with their eggs or some fresh steaks.

Nothing to worry about really, just wash them good in warm soapy water, and as DucatiGirl said, crack them individually in a glass (that way if you do get a bad one you only toss out that egg and not the hole batch.) I would be all over the fresh milk if we could get it easy.

No farms around me anymore, used to get them from a guy I worked with but when I changed jobs that went out the window. There is a label here that is supposedly locally grown and all free range chickens, the yokes are considerably bigger and more of an orange color than yellow that I have seen in the normal eggs I used to buy.

So about as good as I can do at the moment, but I would always go farm fresh if I could.

Farm fresh no doubt. My wife gets FF when possible but will buy store bought if need be

@Snickerdog....dude....milk is for sweets only.

I just got off the phone with a customer in Florida, $7.00 dozen for organic eggs in the store!!! :bulgy-eyes: I need to move and raise some chickens.

We get milk and eggs delivered every week from a local farm. Pretty cool to have the old school white milk box on our front steps. The farm eggs are better tasting than the store bought ones.

We get milk and eggs delivered every week from a local farm. Pretty cool to have the old school white milk box on our front steps. The farm eggs are better tasting than the store bought ones.

Is it cheaper than store bought in your area or is the extra cost just worth the better taste of the products?

Is it cheaper than store bought in your area or is the extra cost just worth the better taste of the products?

The cost difference is minimal given we only get 1-2 dozen per week and we get the convenience of not having to go to the grocery store for them. It's 3.59/dozen for extra large cage free eggs.

Fresh from a farmer is the best. If you look into how old the eggs are at your local store it might make you queasy. Plus, fresh from the farm eggs that haven't been bleached / scrubbed can last months and do not need to be refrigerated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I buy mine off a wife of a coworker, free range. $2 a dozen if i bring back the cartons. Store bought eggs taste like cardboard after you make the switch

We just got chickens this year. We have nine hens and one rooster. We sell most of the eggs to a neighbor and some family members ($1/dz), but we haven't bought any store eggs since they started laying this summer. There is an appreciable difference in the taste of fresh eggs. Ours are all laying brown eggs.

We have ducks now, too, but none of them are laying yet.

Store Bought - Pasture Raised, No Artificial Stuff - High Price. Don't eat eggs on a daily basis, not at $5/dz

Store bought. I don't think I've ever had farm fresh eggs. So I'm not sure I'd know what to think of it when I opened the carton and they're not all shiny and white. lol

We just got chickens this year. We have nine hens and one rooster. We sell most of the eggs to a neighbor and some family members ($1/dz), but we haven't bought any store eggs since they started laying this summer. There is an appreciable difference in the taste of fresh eggs. Ours are all laying brown eggs.

We have ducks now, too, but none of them are laying yet.

Duck eggs are not my thing. I do like farm fresh eggs better than store bought though.

Straight from the back yard. We have 5 chickens that are good layers. Not sure if I can really taste the difference, but it’s cool they come from our own chickens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight from the back yard. We have 5 chickens that are good layers. Not sure if I can really taste the difference, but it’s cool they come from our own chickens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, though we have 20ish. I can deffinetly see and taste the difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back