Mother Sues School Over Child Not Making Soccer Team

Isnt the entire idea behind competitive sports exclusive over inclusive? There are hundreds of less competitive places to play for everybody, right? Competitive sports in theory selects the best and tries to win.
I feel like I should sue Harvard, because they didn't let me in.

Exactly man! I sucked at soccer but I found I was good at lacrosse and writing, so I went that route. Our teachers and youth coaches already do so much for so little, both in pay and thanks, let them do their damned jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She isn't suing because her son didn't make varsity.

Don't create strawmen.

If her son makes the team, there is no suit.
It can hide behind that JV team is said to be for younger students all it wants.
In fact they asked their son to be ordered on the team, which was denied by judge.

If her son makes the team, there is no suit.
It can hide behind that JV team is said to be for younger students all it wants.
In fact they asked their son to be ordered on the team, which was denied by judge.

Does not say which team the TRO was to put him on. I would believe it was the JV team. To say that this is a lawsuit because the young man didn't make varsity is a strawman argument.

I don't think her suit, claiming sexual discrimination, will benefit this kid in the long run but I do think her suit brings up a good question. Why are the rules different for the girls' JV team than the boys'?

Does not say which team the TRO was to put him on. I would believe it was the JV team. To say that this is a lawsuit because the young man didn't make varsity is a strawman argument.

I don't think her suit, claiming sexual discrimination, will benefit this kid in the long run but I do think her suit brings up a good question. Why are the rules different for the girls' JV team than the boys'?

Strongly disagree. The easy argument (which is pretty standard across the country) is that more boys go out for JV spots than girls, therefore they need the older students to be competitive on the girls side. The student went out for a team and was not good enough to make it. Instead of focusing on that, they wanted the boy to be put on a lesser team that was filled with younger students and are suing over it.

Get better, its a good life lesson of hard work to do that, or finding something else one is talented in.

Strongly disagree. The easy argument (which is pretty standard across the country) is that more boys go out for JV spots than girls, therefore they need the older students to be competitive on the girls side. The student went out for a team and was not good enough to make it. Instead of focusing on that, they wanted the boy to be put on a lesser team that was filled with younger students and are suing over it.

Get better, its a good life lesson of hard work to do that, or finding something else one is talented in.
I don't disagree on the life lesson part of your viewpoint. It is fair. I actually agree with you. Time for the kid to realize his dreams of playing high School soccer are over. He's young and can still play soccer through other venues as he grows older. No big deal. But the basis of the suit is sexual and age discrimination.

How is someone supposed to learn their strengths and weaknesses if they fail at something and mommy sues so they can be on a team where they don't belong? How about learning from our failures, and trying new things until we find where our strengths are, and then capitalizing on those strengths. This stuff makes my blood boil.

Let me add, or taking the failure as motivation to try harder, practice more and come back next year and try out again.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I'm afraid of what our world is going to look like in the future.

Man, I would be so embarrassed if I was the son.

Be.

Better.

Be.

Better.

According to the coaches on the JV team, he is good enough. He is just too old. But the same age restrictions are not in place for the girls' JV team. This is a gender/age discrimination suit. Not a "he's good enough to play on varsity" suit.

It's important, for the sake of discussion, that the lawsuit get's considered correctly.

As a parent, it's probably a good time to tell the boy that his dreams of playing high school soccer are over but that doesn't mean he has to stop playing soccer. He will be fine.

Playing Devils advocate, how would most feel if they heard from others saying the child being cut was political? As pointed out earlier and we all know how this happens, but would your feelings change IF, very big IF, you had been informed that this coach has tendencies to cut children not based on skill level but personal affiliation. Possibly, the mother felt the only way change could occur is by suing the school. Thus, hoping to see things change.

Now, do I believe that is probably what happened? No. But, I don’t like to make blanket decisions without knowing both sides. We see this all the time now in our society. And as I write this I know I have done the same on many occasions.

The way JV works around here is anyone that doesn't make varsity, the best of them get to play JV. Unless I'm missing something and there's something in print about age limits and if the kid is good enough they may have something there. I'm 100% against wasting time in the courts with this but just playing devils advocate.

According to the coaches on the JV team, he is good enough. He is just too old. But the same age restrictions are not in place for the girls' JV team. This is a gender/age discrimination suit. Not a "he's good enough to play on varsity" suit.

It's important, for the sake of discussion, that the lawsuit get's considered correctly.

As a parent, it's probably a good time to tell the boy that his dreams of playing high school soccer are over but that doesn't mean he has to stop playing soccer. He will be fine.

I am going to bet lack of interest drives that 'rule' for the girls team.

Either way, none of this really matters to me haha - It's lunacy.

I am going to bet lack of interest drives that 'rule' for the girls team.

Either way, none of this really matters to me haha - It's lunacy.

It’s not making the team disguised as age discrimination.

Agree completely and similar to what I posted above.

If he's too old for JV, then thats it, its the school's policy. If he's good enough for JV, but not varsity, he should Be Better.

If he's too old for JV, then thats it, its the school's policy. If he's good enough for JV, but not varsity, he should Be Better.
The girl's JV has different rules. That's the reason for the lawsuit. A publicly funded institution has and is enforcing standards differently based on gender.

But - this suit is not in the best interest of the 16 year old boy. This is not good parenting.

The girl's JV has different rules. That's the reason for the lawsuit. A publicly funded institution has and is enforcing standards differently based on gender.

But - this suit is not in the best interest of the 16 year old boy. This is not good parenting.
So every coach must now enforce the same policies? If we bench a baseball player for a poor performance but don't bench the softball player for a similar performance is that discrimination too?

So every coach must now enforce the same policies? If we bench a baseball player for a poor performance but don't bench the softball player for a similar performance is that discrimination too?
Nope. Strawman. That's not what I said.

Even still, I'm not evening saying the mother is doing the right thing. I am just stressing that the lawsuit isn't because the boy didn't make varsity.

Nope. Strawman. That's not what I said.
Lol your favorite word.

I'm asking you why two coaches have to have the same rules. I'm assuming it is a coaches policy, and is program dependant.

Our school allowed older kids to be on JV if there wasn’t enough younger ones to fill the roster, wonder if that’s the policy at this school too? Bet it will be going forward, if not.

Lol your favorite word.

I'm asking you why two coaches have to have the same rules. I'm assuming it is a coaches policy, and is program dependant.
Stop commiting straw man fallacies and I'll stop using that word.

The lawsuit is a question if a publicly funded institution can have different participation standards between sexes and ages.

If a 16 year old junior boy is better than a 14 year old freshman boy, why is the 16 year old not permitted being on the team because of age when the same age standard is not in place for girls? That's the question.

Again, I think this is a bad lawsuit. But the lawsuit isn't about whether he can be on varsity.

Lol your favorite word.

Because this young man didnt make the team Mr. Strawman : )
Its easy to hide behind the age part, but as this thread shows, most know exactly what its about.

Stop commiting straw man fallacies and I'll stop using that word.

The lawsuit is a question if a publicly funded institution can have different participation standards between sexes and ages.

If a 16 year old junior boy is better than a 14 year old freshman boy, why is the 16 year old not permitted being on the team because of age when the same age standard is not in place for girls? That's the question.

Again, I think this is a bad lawsuit. But the lawsuit isn't about whether he can be on varsity.
I didn't make an argument, I asked you two questions to ask where it ends.

This is sickening to me. Competition is what drives innovation. We need to teach our kids to fight for what they want. A child should be upset if they don't achieve what they want and hopefully it inspires them to work harder so they won't fail again. I'll get off my soap box now..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I didn't make an argument, I asked you two questions to ask where it ends.
I'm not a judge or a lawyer.

The standards for the opportunity of participation in publicly funded schools should be the same across genders and ages, to my understanding of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Still, the mother should not have filed this suit.

I believe the rules between the girls teams and boys teams are the number of kids signing up. The girls might not have as many sign up so they bounce both ways. Boys have more, so they get to a certain point of having too many if they allow older students to go down to JV. If the girls had the same ratio of sign up as the boys I bet the rules would be the same.

Lets say the were the same, boys and girls....then what would momma do?

Like I said...if I was that kid I wouldn't want to be around anyone ever again id be so embarrassed!

Back