Mother Sues School Over Child Not Making Soccer Team

I don't see why there's no age restriction for the girls. Shouldn't JV be the lower grades?

If not there's not enough signups, shouldn't that also be a too-bad-so-sad?

This is just funny, it shows what people will do for a kid to make a team. Where I grew up if you wanted to play sports you joined the team, of course, I lived in a very small town. For the JV in my school if you were not one of the starters you played JV. There were days I played 2 games because of a JV and Varsity game. I know not everyone is from a school as small as mine was.

Mother Sues School Over Child Not Making Soccer Team

After reading more that the school is going to fight this case (poor job of skimming on me) and the mother is suing because there are different rules for the girls teams versus the boys teams.

I think this was a very bad lawsuit by the mother and could hurt the son overall in the school and community. That said, I agree the rules should be the same. I expect the boys team is more competitive then the girls and the coach uses his JV as a developmental squad of sophomores and freshmen to move up the ranks together. In soccer, playing together over time can really help competitively. There could be so many reasons why the child was not kept from skill level, team aspects, political, and more.

I do believe the school rules should be the same across the board. At the same time, very bad idea of the family suing. Just not what we should be trying to teach our children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading more that the school is going to fight this case (poor job of skimming on me) and the mother is suing because there are different rules for the girls teams versus the boys teams.

I think this was a very bad lawsuit by the mother and could hurt the son overall in the school and community. That said, I agree the rules should be the same. I expect the boys team is more competitive then the girls and the coach uses his JV as a developmental squad of sophomores and freshmen to move up the ranks together. In soccer, playing together over time can really help competitively. There could be so many reasons why the child was not kept from skill level, team aspects, political, and more.

I do believe the school rules should be the same across the board. At the same time, very bad idea of the family suing. Just not what we should be trying to teach our children.

Thank you for actually reading more than a headline.

Hey son you don’t need to be good enough to make the squad this year.

Really Mom, why?

Cuz I’ll sue if you don’t make it

Ok cool, can you buy me a box of bandaids?

Why?

Cuz I’m gonna get my but kicked everyday for this stunt!!!

Sign of the times.

I suspect we will see similar suits as time goes on for schools who make cuts. So stupid.

There's another one that we see eye to eye on, @Jman.

This has gone too far. Participation trophies for everyone. Everyone makes the team. Everyone gets promoted so no one feels like they're not as smart as everyone else. No one gets advanced ahead of their peers so no one will feel like they're not as smart as everyone else. Too bad that dude in @JB's NSFW video didn't touch on this topic a little. It's simply ridiculous.

Thank you for actually reading more than a headline.

Skimming is never a good idea.

I don't really read much into this - a few people don't represent the majority of people.

Don't you guys know that 75% of the kids that don't make the team, or don't start, would be all Americans and have colleges lining up if the coaches just let them play?

Not sure there is a more thankless job that a high school coach. Thank goodness our head coach deals with most of it our I would probably throat punch someone! Haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't you guys know that 75% of the kids that don't make the team, or don't start, would be all Americans and have colleges lining up if the coaches just let them play?

Not sure there is a more thankless job that a high school coach. Thank goodness our head coach deals with most of it our I would probably throat punch someone! Haha

The per hour pay/supplement as its called here in PA is less then minimum wage for most sports. Yet, my community will b*tch when they see us approve the tax payouts.

According to the coaches on the JV team, he is good enough. He is just too old. But the same age restrictions are not in place for the girls' JV team. This is a gender/age discrimination suit. Not a "he's good enough to play on varsity" suit.

It's important, for the sake of discussion, that the lawsuit get's considered correctly.

As a parent, it's probably a good time to tell the boy that his dreams of playing high school soccer are over but that doesn't mean he has to stop playing soccer. He will be fine.
I agree with you Blu. It is wrong to keep him off a team he's skilled enough to make just because of his age. He should be allowed to tryout for the JV team. This seems like a reasonably solid age discrimination matter.

Having said that I think adults also have to see the big picture. Mommy and daddy stepping in to helicopter parent to make everything right isn't necessarily in the kid's best interest. Sometimes sh*t happens in life and you have to deal with it. Kind of an important life lesson.

One thing I'm sure, filing a lawsuit over this is stupid.

As for the JV team, I don't understand why anyone would want to limit it based on age. Seems the coaches goal would be to produce the best team possible year after year. If he has a player trying out that's not quite good enough to play varsity this year, then I'd think there's a better chance of him improving enough to make varsity next year if he plays JV this year.

All these boys -vs- girls sports comparisons get tiring. Boys and girls are different. Leave them that way.

The per hour pay/supplement as its called here in PA is less then minimum wage for most sports. Yet, my community will b*tch when they see us approve the tax payouts.

I get a little over $1k for a season that goes upward of 10 weeks depending on how deep into the playoffs we go. Between practice and game planning, 25ish hours a week, and that's not counting bus trips. I lose money after I pay for gas to get to practice every day haha.

Back