Does Grass Type Effect Your Game?

I like playing on Zoysia fairways over bent grass fairways, but I like bent grass greens WAY better than Bermuda greens.

yeah, if I it is sativa I get too sleepy.

Oh, the grass on the course... yeah, whatever there is in florida killed me in the rough. Ball would just bury.

Kikuyu is the devil.

I'm a fan of bent and zoysia grass. Bermuda rough and greens are tough for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bermuda, Bent, Poa, Fescue. All types of grass found on courses in different parts of the country. Do you find that you play better on one compared to the other? Any that you are really bad on compared to your usual game? Or does it not really effect you at all?

Personally I sometimes struggle with Bermuda, especially when its really thin. Think its because we never play on it here in MI, and I find it to be a bit less forgiving. Lies are tight, contact needs to be really good etc. I think bent grass allows you to get away with less than perfect contact a lot.

Not sure between those choices, but I know my game will change a bit from alive to dormant to dead grass.

Don't even know the difference between different grasses. Just play and do my best.

If it’s green, I can play off it. I play mainly on Bermuda but grew up on bent. Poa is the worst to put on.

I'm allergic to all of them lol

Probably does but I haven't put 2 and 2 together yet to figure it out. LOL

Only Bermuda. Chipping out to Bermuda kills me. I just don’t play it enough being from the Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love bentgrass and I didn't have a problem playing on zoysia (at least, it wasn't the fault of the grass). See below for my thoughts on Bermuda. :at-wits-end:

I don't want to use the word 'struggle' but I definitely get impacted by different grasses and playing conditions associated with them.

Bermuda vs bent is a totally different experience.

Bermuda rough can go to hell and die.

We'll get some more practice on it next week. That's actually what made me think of it. Whatever the opposite of a short game clinic is, that's what I'll put on haha

I’ll be right there with ya man. I also seem to struggle around the green on bermuda. I think most of it is that I don’t think about it being Bermuda so I don’t pay attention to whether or not I’m chipping into the grain. That’s when the sod gets laid over it and then I may start blading them after that. It’s a viscous cycle at that point...

Grass type doesn't affect my game. LACK OF GRASS has a big effect on my game.

My swing effects my game.... In putting certain grasses are more difficult for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with the Bermuda vs bent argument I struggle with it more on and around the greens than anything

That stuff you guys have back east - bermuda? - is different. The rough is harder and having to account for the grain on putts... not my favorite stuff.

That stuff you guys have back east - bermuda? - is different. The rough is harder and having to account for the grain on putts... not my favorite stuff.
Everywhere is east to you Frank! Haha!

My favorite fairway grass is Zoysia as the ball just seems to sit up like it is on a tee. Bent and Bermuda (if cut tight) are both great to play off as well. Bermuda is too long is like playing out of light rough. Fescue rough usually results in my next shot being an 8-iron back in the stance just to get the ball back in play. Bermuda rough can lead to some real inconsistencies as the ball can sit up, go all the way to the bottom or even settle somewhere in between. Very hard for me to judge how the ball is going to come out. I have putted on Poa greens but many years ago. My recollection is they get very bumpy in the afternoons but very playable when first cut and in the mornings. Bent grass greens are the best but some of these Bermuda Hybrids can be almost as good.

I'll be the first to say that grass types all play so much differently , but it just doesn't seem to affect score for me very much. I certainly putt worse on Bermuda, but I would say I chip better. Bent greens are easier to putt but standard rough is tougher IMO. Fescue is just a whole different ballgame, but doesn't have any inherent difficulties between the "rough". Kikuyu grass is brutal to chip on.

i hate putting on bent greens. Very hard to get speed control down. As for rough, I can't stand kikuyu that isn't fully grown in. Cut down kikuyu is pain to judge how much a ball is sitting up at address.

Partial shots out of that stuff are a nightmare.

Back