What is your approach?

What is your approach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really try and be positive with every shot. Not saying it always works but I do try. I am a firm believer in a positive mental attitude and I try and have that mentality in life so it is only natural it would follow me to the golf course.

I gotta have a positive thought otherwise why am I out there

Last edited:
there is quite the "gap" between choice one and 2. i have the utmost confidence most of the time except deep rough that is greenside and wet sand shots.

True and I figured a good portion of responses would be somewhere between 1 and 2 which is why I decided on option 3. For a lot of my time playing golf I had way more negative thoughts than positive ones and was never in then negatives thoughts all the time.

I think I go blank and lose all focus on most shots, so never sure if it's positive or negative.

I voted positive as I do tend to think I will make the shot at hand. But I don't get caught up in it. There is a difference imo between positive yet humble vs cocky and over confident. I make my decision to what I feel I can best do for the situations options and is why I say humble but that's when I am comfortable.

I'm an eternal frieking optimist! And I'm golfing!

Never a negative thought, ever. It took me years to get this hammered into my wife's head. We have a par 5 with water in front of the green, and she has hit balls into the water 10 to 1 to those hitting the green. While I might hit one in the water a year, she always says how do you do that over that water, and I say......what water? If you tell yourself you can't, you can't.

I've said it before, that a GREAT football coach never tells a running back not to fumble. He tells him to hang on to the ball.

If you have a hole that eats your lunch and lets the negative thoughts flow, figure out a different way to play the hole.

A lot depends on how well I'm doing or sometimes a blow up during a recent round.

I try to a be a glass is half full kind of guy. Especially on the golf course, I mean there are a lot worse things I can be doing, so why bring that to the course? I try to envision the ideal shot everytime, doesn't happen, but I don't want to think it would happen.

Also, you need to see the negative results to plan for the next shot, but I'm hoping for the perfectly struck shot everytime.

I always expect good results, I don't always get them. I let it go by the time I'm ready to hit my next shot, there might be some cussing involved sometimes but it helps get the bad thoughts out. If I hang on to a bad shot it WILL ruin the round. I pretty much only hit shots I know I can make even though sometime I may only have a small chance to execute it, it has to be possible. There are some shots I know I just don't have in my bag and I don't even try them on the course.

For me o pick my target and go. My hope it that I hit my lines. We practice and play so that hopefully we have what is needed to pull it off.

For some enough practice hasn't been put in and there will also ways be doubt. Playing the miss will really hamper your game. You have to take the good with the bad. I feel once this done your game take over and doubt will leave.

Going forward every shot is completely independent from the last. There's no point dwelling on what I did. Just step up and execute. Big change for '16

No negative thoughts, as best as I can.

I put somewhere between both, although I often get through entire rounds without any negative thoughts over shots.

I voted "in between", but only because when I hit a bad shot, my negative thinking is gone before I approach the next shot.
I learned to have a very short memory a while ago when it comes to bad shots. Thinking negatively only leads to negative shots.

I'm practicing picturing the shot in my mind before I swing the club. I find more often than not it follows the path.

I believe nothing good comes out of thinking negatively. So I'm always on the bright side. The way tour pros think may look delusional, but it's the self-serving attitude of Champions.

When it doesn't affect play, like after the game, I can be critical of myself, but while playing it's always positive. I have played enough to realize that it isn't over till it's over.

I tend to pick my line, trust it and go with it. Really don't psych myself up or down with positive or negative thoughts when standing over the ball. Have always found a clear mind works best for me.
Me, too. None of that rah-rah stuff to get in the way of all my swing mechanics thoughts during my addressing the ball.
In all seriousness, When at address, I try to keep the Zen-like "quiet mind". One swing though and that's it. I'm really striving for Zen-like calm on the course this year.
now, after a bad shot, I stay Peter Positive. After a good one, I try to not get too stoked.

I swing my swing and invision my results. I dont think negative, I only think about what I WANT to happen.

That doesnt always work.

I voted somewhere in between, unfortunately. Being positive is something that's definitely on the table as things to work on for this upcoming season.

I voted somewhere in between, unfortunately. Being positive is something that's definitely on the table as things to work on for this upcoming season.

Confidence is a big player in thinking positive on a golf course my brother. I know you've got that.

Confidence is a big player in thinking positive on a golf course my brother. I know you've got that.
Yeah for sure. Mental game is what I struggled with the most this year I think. Days I played well I had all the confidence in the world. Days I didn't feel great I questioned everything. No more of that crap.

Confidence in my six always. Every time I pull the six for a chip shot I am surprised if it does not go in.....lol

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back