Does what works today, work tomorrow?

Nerdy

Revenge of the Nerds!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
OH weather
You're in the middle of your round and struggling a bit. On hole 8 you make a slight adjustment to your stance/grip/ball placement etc.. all of a sudden things start clicking and you're able to finish off the round really well. Are you able to bring that change to the course the next time you play and continue the success or is it a different swing for a different day and it takes 8 holes to figure it out again and it's just rinse and repeat each time out?

If you figure something out today does it translate to your next round or does it just work for today?

That's what it's important to have a repeatable swing.

The swing is sequential, sometimes you can compensate for a miss in one area for something else but it won't necessarily be a permanent fix.

Generally it is something simple I have forgotten and am not doing so it will carry over.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't for me. More scores remain pretty consistent from round to round but it seems I have a different way at arriving at them from round to round.

Interesting topic. Typically no if its a small tweak for me. That small issue might not be the issue for me next round.

Band aids are always temporary.

You're in the middle of your round and struggling a bit. On hole 8 you make a slight adjustment to your stance/grip/ball placement etc.. all of a sudden things start clicking and you're able to finish off the round really well. Are you able to bring that change to the course the next time you play and continue the success or is it a different swing for a different day and it takes 8 holes to figure it out again and it's just rinse and repeat each time out?

If you figure something out today does it translate to your next round or does it just work for today?

Often short-lived for me unfortunately. I'd understand for weird temp fixes, but sometimes I fix a more major flaw and things click so I hope it will result in long-term increased success but it usually doesn't. :(

... I will always remember an interview with Andrew Magee that said Pro's are just like Ams when it comes to their swing, just to a lessor degree. He said even Pro's are always looking for a swing key that works and he found one Saturday that he carried into Sunday and the victory. He was asked how long do his swing keys last and he said usually one round but sometimes 2 and once he found a key that worked all four days of the tournament. He said while his swing is the same, every day is different and the smallest thing can throw it off just a little or put him in good position to play well.

Back