What is Forgiveness?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This was shot earlier this year, but its really good so we wanted to put it back up. Michael Vrska and Tom Olsavsky talking about how both MOI and CG play a role in forgiveness and what all of that means to the golfer.

So could lead tape possibly lead to the face being open?

Not sure I completely understood that idea he was talking about with CG.

• Admin
So could lead tape possibly lead to the face being open?

Not sure I completely understood that idea he was talking about with CG.

Absolutely. Or closed. Or change launch. All about how much and placement.

It’s when a box shows up on my doorstep and my wife doesn’t kill me...LOL!

I remember that one from early this year. Very well done and one I enjoyed a lot. That’s a TON of golf gear IQ in that video!

Absolutely. Or closed. Or change launch. All about how much and placement.

Could that do it?

43210526_887136098157465_5457874148598480896_n.jpg

Queuing this up to watch for when I get home.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Could that do it?

43210526_887136098157465_5457874148598480896_n.jpg

yes and no. consider how much the head weighs and how that weight is distributed and how much weight you add.

the bigger change would be swingweight, which for some means nothing and for others can change how they deliver the clubhead to the ball - which will impact launch conditions

I believe a key factor to "forgiveness" is one which it seems the golf club equipment design industry neglects or ignores. Specifically, when a club head size is too large it actually becomes less forgiving than a smaller club head.
For example, I think everyone can agree that an 800CC size driver head would be too cumbersome with which to make swings and square the club head at impact.
Or, an iron head twice the size of anything on the market today would likely be criticized for its massive size and shunned by players because they could not easily swing it or make square contact at impact.
Once CAD systems (targeting MOI) became widely used for golf club head design , I think the club heads may have become too large, past the point of diminishing returns, and as such could be "less forgiving".

yes and no. consider how much the head weighs and how that weight is distributed and how much weight you add.

the bigger change would be swingweight, which for some means nothing and for others can change how they deliver the clubhead to the ball - which will impact launch conditions

Thanks. I was having issues with the 7 iron being shorter than the 8. All the SWs are off but I didn't know if that would have such a big impact.

I believe a key factor to "forgiveness" is one which it seems the golf club equipment design industry neglects or ignores. Specifically, when a club head size is too large it actually becomes less forgiving than a smaller club head.
For example, I think everyone can agree that an 800CC size driver head would be too cumbersome with which to make swings and square the club head at impact.
Or, an iron head twice the size of anything on the market today would likely be criticized for its massive size and shunned by players because they could not easily swing it or make square contact at impact.
Once CAD systems (targeting MOI) became widely used for golf club head design , I think the club heads may have become too large, past the point of diminishing returns, and as such could be "less forgiving".

I would watch the video in the OP. Pretty good discussion from two of the smartest people in golf.

I always wonder how many prototypes it takes to get the sound right. It just seems like one of those things that would be mind bottling.
c.png

I always wonder how many prototypes it takes to get the sound right. It just seems like one of those things that would be mind bottling.
c.png

We have another video of it somewhere, I can see if I can find it, that talks about creation from beginning to end and through testing. Pretty interesting thing to follow.

I would watch the video in the OP. Pretty good discussion from two of the smartest people in golf.

I did watch the video.
None of the content I've seen from any club designer factors in head size. But I notice players struggle to square up large size iron heads and large size fairway woods more so than they did when those head sizes were smaller than they are today.
If the goal is "forgiveness" I think head size should be a major factor of consideration. It does no good to have a super large head (which the CAD system deems to have an ideal combination of MOI and CG) if it is a club that a player struggle to square at impact. The guy in the video you posted admitted that MOI itself was not the whole story, but he only mentioned CG as the other primary factor. He neglected to mention the relevance of head size.

I think when the industry talks forgiveness they mean distance on mishits. That's why even though I am not great I dont love forgiving clubs. They usually have high MOI which makes me hook it, the more forgiving the further it goes down that leftward path LOL!!

I think when the industry talks forgiveness they mean distance on mishits. That's why even though I am not great I dont love forgiving clubs. They usually have high MOI which makes me hook it, the more forgiving the further it goes down that leftward path LOL!!

In this video you can hear that isn’t really the case. TO is pretty specific about squaring club heads.

Thanks for the repost. I wonder if that is something that fitters will move towards- maybe rather than focusing on ball speed looking at face to path, face closure, etc and making sure to get that optimized for each swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing

Interesting stuff. Can’t wait for more of these types of vids that are to come from the upcoming PGA Show

I really like the short info videos. I like that he added the part about getting the sound correct after everything else.

Back