I may break rules from time to time, but . . .

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
. . . I never tee the ball in front of the markers.

There are some rules sticklers who never break a rule. This thread probably isn't for them.

What's a rule you don't break. Or, if there is none, what is a rule you rarely break? :)

I won't lift a ball on the green with out marking it. Everything else is fair game.

Rule 10 - Order of play. Break it all the time. The cool thing is, it does not affect the score at all.

I posted this in jest in another thread that promptly died. I hope someone gets a chuckle......

I wish I'd have saved a post I made a few years ago in another world. I was much more creative and less old then. Now my brains been dulled by age and dumbness. And age. And forgetfulness. And age. As such I'll try my best to recreate it. That other fluffing thread makes me want to try even if the recall is faulty. And age.

I'm the type of golfer that doesn't believe in a bad lie in the fairway. I don't hit those damn things very often so why should I end up in some jackwagons divot? I really consider fairways as risk/reward. I mean I risked not being able fluff it up in the rough so I should be rewarded by that, right?

I'm the type of golfer that doesn't believe in a bad lie in the rough. I spend most of my time in it so why should I bother even learning to hit from good lies? The best answer is me practicing from good lies when I'm in the rough.

I'm the type of golfer that doesn't believe in being behind a tree. Come on! Those damn things are annoying. All it would take would be one random lighting bolt and that stupid thing wouldn't be in my way anyways so I like to pretend that they don't exist.

Furthering the previous thought, I'm the type of golfer that likes to think of their shots potential. Isn't that what a handicap is all about anyways? Measuring potential? If that tree wasn't there in the first place, where would my shot have ended up? I like to play it as I envisioned it, not how it actually happened. If that lightning bolt had struck two minutes prior, there would be no tree. That's where my ball would have ended up.

I'm the type of golfer that looks at bunkers as an opportunity. An opportunity to get his ball the hell out of there before he embarrasses himself by not getting it out. The best way I've found to do this is to just pick it up and place it just a little closer to the pin, on grass of course. If you put it further away you leave yourself a chance to go back in there. That would be embarrassing and I'm not the type of golfer that likes to be embarrassed. Golf is supposed to be fun. Embarrassment is not fun.

I'm the type of golfer that doesn't like to hold up other golfers. Searching for lost balls is going to hold up someone, even if it's just myself. I hate being held up and I have to assume that others are the same. There is no 5 minute rule for me, there isn't even a 5 second rule. I'll simply find a very good angle into the green that isn't compromised (remember the "have fun" part?) by being behind a tree that's probably going to be struck by lightning anyways, or in a position to go into a bunker I won't play out of anyways, and play without delay from there. Sometimes the only remedy that doesn't involve trees and bunkers is just placing the ball on the green. You'd probably be surprised how often it's impossible to find a lost ball that doesn't end up on the green.

I'm the type of golfer that's an eternal optimist. This applies to balls lost in water as well as other situations. When a ball is lost in water I ALWAYS assume that it's skipped right over the lake. Now remember my lost ball policy. I will not waste time, yours nor mine. So I'll simply play from the far side of the water if I see a splash. Provided of course there are no trees that are about to be hit by lightning or bunkers that could be embarrassing. If either of those problems are the case, I'll move closer to the green. That's probably where I was planning on playing my ball anyways. I plan each shot meticulously. I hate to let my planning down.

I'm the type of golfer that rarely two putts and never three putts. I mean, cmon. Why would I? I've mentioned that I like to have fun golfing and nothing ruins a fun time moreso than missing a 60 footer for eagle. This is of course assuming that I played by the above rules. I have a lot of eagle putts with the above rules. In fact as an optimistic guy, I'll always assume that a lost ball is lost on the green on any hole that I could potentially ever reach if I had a hurricane force wind at my back. There are no trees, bunkers, or water hazards on greens and I've already explained that I like to have fun so I avoid these unfair conditions, and/or conditions that are one lightening strike away from being a non-factor. Two putting isn't very fun and three putting is absolutely no fun. It's easy to call a do-over on any putt that may lead to a three putt. Try it sometime. It really is very easy to say "do-over"! Three putting would have such a negative effect on my moral that I might forget some of the above rules that I try to play to, so I'm the type of golfer that never three putts. I'll call out "do-over!" until such a time as it's a 1 or 2 putt max depending on the situation.

That was my best effort at it. I spent 20 minutes typing that out so I hope someone gets a chuckle and of course I'm only joking. But that's only because I'm the type of golfer that carries 15 clubs. The 15th is a chainsaw... :) And likes to have fun. Even if that means playing by the dumb rules. :)

I fluff my 4 ft gimmies like a maniac.

Seriously though, I like to play it as it lies most of the time, especially on extremely crappy lies, I love the challenge of a cart path lie or a crazy deep rough shot or a bare lie.

Rule 10 - Order of play. Break it all the time. The cool thing is, it does not affect the score at all.

I don't think you understood the thread.

What's a rule you don't break. Or, if there is none, what is a rule you rarely break?

good one, smalls. i don't tee in front of the markers, either.

i don't improve my lie, except if i stand to hurt myself at impact (root).

I may break rules from time to time, but . . .

I’m not entirely sure - I stay behind and within the tee markets for sure. I don’t tee up from the fairway. I respect the course.

I always fill the divots even on CPO days - and usually top off the ones left by others as I make my way back, but that’s not a rule.

I may break the rules from time to time but....I never count the penalty stroke. Lol

I don't break 16-1f, and I don't break 16-2 either.

Last edited:
I don't break 16-1f, and I don't break 16-2 either.

16-2 can definitely be used to your advantage if you play your cards right. Been there, done that... for birdie exactly once.

Tee in front of the markers. Won't apply soon, but I also always drop from above the shoulders.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Wait....golf has....rules???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this in jest in another thread that promptly died. I hope someone gets a chuckle......

I wish I'd have saved a post I made a few years ago in another world. I was much more creative and less old then. Now my brains been dulled by age and dumbness. And age. And forgetfulness. And age. As such I'll try my best to recreate it. That other fluffing thread makes me want to try even if the recall is faulty. And age.

I'm the type of golfer that doesn't believe in a bad lie in the fairway. I don't hit those damn things very often so why should I end up in some jackwagons divot? I really consider fairways as risk/reward. I mean I risked not being able fluff it up in the rough so I should be rewarded by that, right?

I'm the type of golfer that doesn't believe in a bad lie in the rough. I spend most of my time in it so why should I bother even learning to hit from good lies? The best answer is me practicing from good lies when I'm in the rough.

I'm the type of golfer that doesn't believe in being behind a tree. Come on! Those damn things are annoying. All it would take would be one random lighting bolt and that stupid thing wouldn't be in my way anyways so I like to pretend that they don't exist.

Furthering the previous thought, I'm the type of golfer that likes to think of their shots potential. Isn't that what a handicap is all about anyways? Measuring potential? If that tree wasn't there in the first place, where would my shot have ended up? I like to play it as I envisioned it, not how it actually happened. If that lightning bolt had struck two minutes prior, there would be no tree. That's where my ball would have ended up.

I'm the type of golfer that looks at bunkers as an opportunity. An opportunity to get his ball the hell out of there before he embarrasses himself by not getting it out. The best way I've found to do this is to just pick it up and place it just a little closer to the pin, on grass of course. If you put it further away you leave yourself a chance to go back in there. That would be embarrassing and I'm not the type of golfer that likes to be embarrassed. Golf is supposed to be fun. Embarrassment is not fun.

I'm the type of golfer that doesn't like to hold up other golfers. Searching for lost balls is going to hold up someone, even if it's just myself. I hate being held up and I have to assume that others are the same. There is no 5 minute rule for me, there isn't even a 5 second rule. I'll simply find a very good angle into the green that isn't compromised (remember the "have fun" part?) by being behind a tree that's probably going to be struck by lightning anyways, or in a position to go into a bunker I won't play out of anyways, and play without delay from there. Sometimes the only remedy that doesn't involve trees and bunkers is just placing the ball on the green. You'd probably be surprised how often it's impossible to find a lost ball that doesn't end up on the green.

I'm the type of golfer that's an eternal optimist. This applies to balls lost in water as well as other situations. When a ball is lost in water I ALWAYS assume that it's skipped right over the lake. Now remember my lost ball policy. I will not waste time, yours nor mine. So I'll simply play from the far side of the water if I see a splash. Provided of course there are no trees that are about to be hit by lightning or bunkers that could be embarrassing. If either of those problems are the case, I'll move closer to the green. That's probably where I was planning on playing my ball anyways. I plan each shot meticulously. I hate to let my planning down.

I'm the type of golfer that rarely two putts and never three putts. I mean, cmon. Why would I? I've mentioned that I like to have fun golfing and nothing ruins a fun time moreso than missing a 60 footer for eagle. This is of course assuming that I played by the above rules. I have a lot of eagle putts with the above rules. In fact as an optimistic guy, I'll always assume that a lost ball is lost on the green on any hole that I could potentially ever reach if I had a hurricane force wind at my back. There are no trees, bunkers, or water hazards on greens and I've already explained that I like to have fun so I avoid these unfair conditions, and/or conditions that are one lightening strike away from being a non-factor. Two putting isn't very fun and three putting is absolutely no fun. It's easy to call a do-over on any putt that may lead to a three putt. Try it sometime. It really is very easy to say "do-over"! Three putting would have such a negative effect on my moral that I might forget some of the above rules that I try to play to, so I'm the type of golfer that never three putts. I'll call out "do-over!" until such a time as it's a 1 or 2 putt max depending on the situation.

That was my best effort at it. I spent 20 minutes typing that out so I hope someone gets a chuckle and of course I'm only joking. But that's only because I'm the type of golfer that carries 15 clubs. The 15th is a chainsaw... :) And likes to have fun. Even if that means playing by the dumb rules. :)

You don't need that chainsaw because the lightening already knocked down the tree that your ball isn't behind. :)

Move the ball into some grass. One of the local courses we go play at twilight rates has several areas where there is more dirt than grass so we move to an area where you actually can hit from the grass. Can't move from the rough to Fairway but can move to a similar lie just where there I actually grass.

They’re more like guidelines

Barely.....I mean it’s more less a safety guideline for people like you and I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re more like guidelines

Soft, gently suggested in a soothing tone of voice guidelines.

Eh, why lie? They are just nebulous constructs of gossamer and pixie dust.

Smiter maybe you should change your name to SmiterOfRoG

Love reading your rules related posts btw

Soft, gently suggested in a soothing tone of voice guidelines.

Eh, why lie? They are just nebulous constructs of gossamer and pixie dust.

I find the RoG to be more of an SEP type thing.

SEP: acronym; Someone Else’s Problem; an item that might as well be invisible to most people, e.g. a pair of socks on the stairs, a brick in the road, a small fire in a a field. origin: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I find the RoG to be more of an SEP type thing.

SEP: acronym; Someone Else’s Problem; an item that might as well be invisible to most people, e.g. a pair of socks on the stairs, a brick in the road, a small fire in a a field. origin: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
We need a H2G2 thread

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I never ground my club in bunkers/hazards. To make up for such diligent adherence to the rules, I will routinely remove rocks from bunkers if they are likely to be struck because no need for me, my clubs, or my playing partners to be struck by a high speed rock that doesn't belong in the bunker in the first place.

Back