PING G Irons Preview

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The following is a press release:

PHOENIX (January 11, 2016) – Developing knowledge and drawing inspiration from sources as diverse as dragonfly wings and 18-wheelers, PING today launched its new G series of drivers, fairway woods, hybrids and irons, again advancing speed, distance and forgiveness to unprecedented levels without sacrificing other performance attributes. This year PING went one step further, creating a new club category with the G Crossover, combining the best of hybrid and iron technology.

The new products, which are all custom fit and built to precise specifications, can be pre-ordered beginning today at PING-authorized golf shops around the world.

“It’s a credit to the imagination and the disciplined approach of our engineering, design and research teams that we’ve elevated performance across every category in new and exciting ways, innovation that will make the game easier for golfers of every ability level,” said John A. Solheim, PING Chairman & CEO. “Our design process is different, as we gather information from the world around us, study new materials, and test rigorously to make sure our products give golfers meaningful results. The process leads to breakthroughs like Dragonfly Technology and Vortec Technology, found in the G drivers. We’ve also created a specialized heat-treatment process and COR-Eye Technology to make the G irons longer, higher-launching and more forgiving, a combination that’s very difficult to achieve. And with the new Crossover product line, an entirely new category, there’s a lot to be excited about.”

G Irons
The G iron utilizes revolutionary COR-Eye Technology (introduced in the GMax irons), which activates the sole, face and top rail in flexing for consistently faster ball speeds across the hotter face. The entire G set is heat treated using a specialized process that creates Hyper 17-4 alloy, which is 40% stronger than traditional 17-4 stainless steel. Metallurgical advancements combined with COR-Eye Technology provide four times the face flexing with improved stability. “The results are big distance gains and a higher peak trajectory for better stopping power so you can hit and hold the green,” Solheim said. “One benefit of that is a player might be able to club up and hit a 7-iron, for example, instead of a 6-iron.”

Weight saved from the face was allocated to the low toe and perimeter, creating a high MOI for extreme forgiveness. Connecting the Custom Tuning Port to the sole creates a deeper CG that helps elevate the launch angle while increasing MOI. At address, the iron’s refined look is created by a thin top rail, satin-blast finish and appropriate offset. An enlarged multi-material damping badge joined to the cavity works with COR-Eye Technology to provide exceptional sound and feel.

New AWT 2.0 shaft (Manufactured by Nippon)
Contributing to the improved performance of the G iron are PING’s proprietary Ascending Weight Technology shafts, an optimal combination of physics and feel. The shafts get lighter as they progress from the short irons and pitching wedge to the long irons. Lighter long-iron shafts help square the clubface to increase clubhead speed and optimize flight for distance and accuracy. Heavier short iron shafts improve trajectory control and feel.

- Available 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW
- Stock steel shaft: PING AWT 2.0 (R, S, X)
- After-market stock shaft options (no upcharge): Dynamic Gold S300, X100; Project X 5.0, 6.0; XP 95 (R, S), N.S. Pro Modus[SUP]3[/SUP] 105 (S, X)
- Stock graphite shaft: PING CFS Graphite (65 SR, 70 R, 80 S)
- U.S. MSRP: $110 per club w/steel shaft; $125 per club w/graphite shaft

G_Iron_AdImage_Cavity-XL.png

G_Iron_FACE_Illustration-XL.png

I've been waiting for this thread to pop up for a while. I LOVE the fact that they went to an ascending weight shaft again. I was a fan of that shaft in the G15s. I'm also interested to see if they return to the G25/G15 blade length now that the GMax is in the line. The G30 seemed a good deal longer heel to toe to me, but it may also have been shape. Definitely a bit of a departure in style this year.

Don't love that these are $80 more per set than the G30. Also be interesting to see what the sound is like with the COR-eye there. I thought the GMax lost some of that classic PING sound, which always felt more "solid" than other GI irons. I'm hoping these are more like previous G series.

Max forgiveness paired with longer distances with attention paid to the topline to ensure it remained thin.....sounds very promising. Also a fan of the Ascending Weight Technology by the sounds of it even though I haven't tried it.

I may go to the shop today and take a look at these in the fitting cart. I'm a sucker for the G series iron.

Wonder how these compare to the GMax series they released late last year.

I hit these with the stock AWT shaft yesterday. I must say, they were much more pleasant to hit than the G30. It had a great, high launch and i found the head plenty forgiving, especially on toe shots. Distance was right up there with the likes of XR and RSi1 for me. It looks like a smaller GMax and that is great.

I hit these with the stock AWT shaft yesterday. I must say, they were much more pleasant to hit than the G30. It had a great, high launch and i found the head plenty forgiving, especially on toe shots. Distance was right up there with the likes of XR and RSi1 for me. It looks like a smaller GMax and that is great.

That's good to hear. I loved the G15-G25. But for some reason just couldn't click with the G30. Which is odd, as it looks so similar. Since you saw them in person - is the back of this thing chrome? That would be a BIG departure for PING if so. It looked like it from some of the videos.

That's good to hear. I loved the G15-G25. But for some reason just couldn't click with the G30. Which is odd, as it looks so similar. Since you saw them in person - is the back of this thing chrome? That would be a BIG departure for PING if so. It looked like it from some of the videos.
It's certainly shiny. Not sure if it's precisely chrome, but it doesn't have the darker G30 look whatsoever.

It's certainly shiny. Not sure if it's precisely chrome, but it doesn't have the darker G30 look whatsoever.

Thanks. Yeah, I'd imagine it's more polished than chrome. Really looking forward to seeing these.

Thanks. Yeah, I'd imagine it's more polished than chrome. Really looking forward to seeing these.
I could potentially get some in hand photos tomorrow of it and post since embargo has passed.

I could potentially get some in hand photos tomorrow of it and post since embargo has passed.

That would be fantastic. I will do the same if I head to the shop today.

Edit: as a stand-in, here's a still from the video:

Last edited:
Attention peaked... peaked A LOT! I love the stock shaft options too.

Last edited:
From what I've seen from a few other places in terms of sound off the face, it's not like the Gmax. With that, I can't see myself not owning a set of these, probably swapping out the set of i25s I have for them. I'm a PING iron homer, and the i25 are in the same ballpark as the 545s, and I've been looking at something more forgiving to have in the bag.

They look to be maximizing the sweet spot on the center of the face. Who doesnt want more forgiveness?

they have my interest, that's for sure. I like that the AWT Shaft is back. I had those in my i10's and really enjoyed them.

they have my interest, that's for sure. I like that the AWT Shaft is back. I had those in my i10's and really enjoyed them.

Now that you mention that, I wonder if I can get that shaft in the i's..

I expect these irons to be a huge hit. They have a lot of what I like in an iron.

There are so many great irons coming out right now for the mid-HDCP golfer. It used to be hard to find something that offered SGI benefits in a smaller package, but not anymore.

3 degrees stronger loft in the 7 iron than the I25s, very interesting.

Good thing about living in AZ, time to book a demo at their HQ.

3 degrees stronger loft in the 7 iron than the I25s, very interesting.

Good thing about living in AZ, time to book a demo at their HQ.

They did that with the G30s (and I actually think the Karstens before then) - they moved to a more progressive loft/length progression because they found that people were getting bunched starting in the mid irons. I like it because my loft/lengths are covered from 5-wedge, and I'm happy with the slightly larger gaps.

I liked the I better than the gmax and will be curious to see where these fall from a feel perspective.

BTW I like that it's just the G series iron. No more number to go with it.

These look way worse than the G30 imo. Honestly performance is more important, but they don't look good are my first thought.

These look way worse than the G30 imo. Honestly performance is more important, but they don't look good are my first thought.

I agree with you on the in the bag look, but I think these look better down by the ball in the pictures I've seen.

I agree with you on the in the bag look, but I think these look better down by the ball in the pictures I've seen.
I'd love to see in person. Hard to argue with the ping tech and results. My initial thought was GMax too

Back