CajunMan

Reaction score
Handicap
10.9 USGA
I have been using FreeCaddiePro for a year now and thinking of going with a GPS unit. I have a range finder that I use for bow hunting and do not like it for golf. I have a Garmin for my boat and to hunt with so I like that brand. Question is: Would you go with a G6 or G7? I am a weekend golfer only. I found the G6 for $125 cheaper than the G7. Thanks, Tim

Can't vouch for any handheld unit but if you don't mind wearing a watch I can tell you the Garmin S1 or S6 that I have both perform admirably. So easy to glance at your wrist and move on. No having to grab or put back a handheld. I will say that the S6 is harder to see over the S1.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin S1, my wife an S2. We find that there's enough info there to get what we need. I just can't justify $200-300 more for all that extra info that I can do in my head. My wife hangs her's on her bag once she gets to the 1st tee, I wear mine.

I have been using FreeCaddiePro for a year now and thinking of going with a GPS unit. I have a range finder that I use for bow hunting and do not like it for golf. I have a Garmin for my boat and to hunt with so I like that brand. Question is: Would you go with a G6 or G7? I am a weekend golfer only. I found the G6 for $125 cheaper than the G7. Thanks, Tim

What features does the G7 have over the G6? Are they features you would use? Do those features warrant another $125 to you? If so, then go for the G7, otherwise if the G6 has what you want then save that money to use towards something else

From a quick look at the specs of the G7, I am not sure it is legal for tournament play as it has a 'plays-like' and club suggestion feature?

I'm not sure there is much difference between the two.
I do have/use the 6. It's been in use for a 2 maybe even 3 years now. I haven't had any issues with it. Its been tuff cause I have dropped it several times. Its pretty simple to use. Tho I dont use the club specs on it. I will occasionally use it to keep score for all four of us. Never had a course that wasn't in the memory.
I think you will be pleased with the G6. It is a good unit
Want to add: I would like to get the G8. I just prefer bidder screens for better detail & viewing

I have had the G6 for a few years now. It's held up pretty well and has been pretty reliable for me. I mostly use it for green front center and back and sometimes layup distances.

I just ordered a G6. I have a rangefinder that I use a bunch, but I can see the benefits of a GPS, too. I had some gift cards that I used and didn't see anything else I really wanted.

I have had a Golf Buddy World for 4 years and it is still going strong.

I just ordered a G6. I have a rangefinder that I use a bunch, but I can see the benefits of a GPS, too. I had some gift cards that I used and didn't see anything else I really wanted.

If I wasn't so shakey, I'd have both

I miss bow hunting.
But the advantage of the G6 gps is you can move the cursor for layups. It'll give 2 measurements, 1 distance from where you're @ to a spot and the other gives from that spot to pin

Well thanks to ya'll, I just pulled the trigger on the Garmin! :) I haven't hunted this year and I do miss it to but I have been golfing every weekend though! Lol. Tim

Keep us informed, what likes & dislikes.
Hint: I normally use the green view, that way you can move the pin roughly where its located on the green. So you have readings to that point. I use the fairway view when need layout or layups

If I wasn't so shakey, I'd have both

I have that problem a bit, especially from long distances. I certainly didn't need the GPS, and I don't think it will take 3 shots off my game, but I believe it will be useful. I'll still probably us my rangefinder for short iron shots, where I can control my distances to the point that knowing an exact distance is needed - like on a 2-3 club green where front/middle/back is a large spread.

Will do! It is suppose to be in by the 20th, so I should post soon after that. Tim

Well the G6 came in early! I charged it up and sort of got acquainted with it. There is a hole where I play a lot that has a bronze marker that says it is 116 yards. My FreeCaddie says it is 122yards and I used my range finder last time and it read 116 yards to the center of the green! I just measured it on my G6 and it read 116 yards! I think I'm going to like this GPS. I have the Clicgear GPS holder coming in but need to figure out a way to mount it so that I can also use the belt clip. I plan on playing golf this weekend and trying out the G6. Tim

Well the G6 came in early! I charged it up and sort of got acquainted with it. There is a hole where I play a lot that has a bronze marker that says it is 116 yards. My FreeCaddie says it is 122yards and I used my range finder last time and it read 116 yards to the center of the green! I just measured it on my G6 and it read 116 yards! I think I'm going to like this GPS. I have the Clicgear GPS holder coming in but need to figure out a way to mount it so that I can also use the belt clip. I plan on playing golf this weekend and trying out the G6. Tim

First of all congrats on getting your G6. I use the following phone/GPS holder which is available on Amazon - it's $8.95 USD which includes free shipping. It grips smart phones and GPS units securely and it works great with the Clicgear GPS holder. It's also easy to remove when needed.

The only thing you have to do is grind the small nibs off the back of the bracket which was VERY simple to do with a Dremel tool or file. The red Clicgear pad that normally attaches to your GPS is attached to the back of this holder. Looks and works great, and its easy to release when needed. Holds my G8 very securly.

EDIT: Buy 2 so the second one can be mounted in a golf cart when you are driving.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Adj...sr=8-2-spons&keywords=bike+phone+holder&psc=1

718qBMUZwuL._SL1500_.jpg

Update:
i bought the above mount and it should be in this week. I played 18 Saturday and 18 Sunday in two different courses with the G6 and I like it. On my push cart I hooked it on my hybrid head cover and on the golf cart I just clipped it to my pocket. Very easy to use and accurate. The screen is a little small but lights up great in sunlight. The measuring function seemed to be very accurate. I am glad that I purchased this and look forward to learning all the features it has to offer. I do have a question, do you charge it after each day or wait until battery is low? After Saturday's round it was down to 75% and I recharged it. I didn't check battery life after Sunday evenings round but will not play again until next Saturday. Tim

Last edited:
I wait, just something I heard years ago about batteries building a memory. Not sure its true now days but I try to use as much of battery life as I can before recharging.
If it was @ 75% then you should of got up to 3 more rounds before charge

I'll try and add my two cents worth here. On a hunch, I purchased a new Izzo 4000+ GPS for about $115. While it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles of a Garmin, it does give accurate readings for front, center and back. This newer model also tell distances to hazards on every course. You can also input club distances so it can tell you what club to hit when your faced with that decision. I chose not to do this option. I have a some guys with Garmin's that I play with and our measurements are within a yard or two of each other. Somehow, I don't think my game is at that critical level yet. You can update the courses on line at no charge and the rechargeable battery lasts about 3 rounds before you need to recharge it again. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a pictogram of the hole or green, just distances. It's preloaded with 29,000+ courses. For me, something this simple works fine. I read somewhere that there is a relationship between Izzo and Callaway, but not sure what that would be.

I wait, just something I heard years ago about batteries building a memory. Not sure its true now days but I try to use as much of battery life as I can before recharging.
If it was @ 75% then you should of got up to 3 more rounds before charge

The G6 uses a Lithium-Ion battery pack so you don't have to worry about battery memory. Out of habit I recharge all of my devices when I get back from the golf course so that I know for sure that they'll be good to go the next time out.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about battery memory and glad it doesn't. I am going to leave it and try to drain it down a few times to get a good charge then recharge after I play on weekends. Tim

I used my GPS, with the new mount, on my Clicgear cart today for 9 holes and like the set up! I mounted straight to the handlebar without any problems. The mount stays on the cart and the GPS is very easy to remove. Many thanks to 2Bad4u for the idea. Tim

imagejpeg

Glad it worked out for you.

Back