Work Boots Question

I used to buy either Wolverine or Georgia Boot, both were always comfortable and gave me good life and gave me the style work boot I wanted.

We used to have a purchase program with Red Wing at work, but they changed it, unfortunately. Still, I've had the same pair of Red Wings for about 4 years now. Granted, I do not put a lot of wear and tear on them anymore as I am not in the shop too much, but they are holding up really well and they are super comfortable.

My dad swears by Red Wings. I don't think he's owned anything else in his whole life. He always says you get what you pay for, and Red Wings aren't cheap.

The one thing I will never do again is buy from the boot truck that came to the plant when I worked in Maintenance. After the 3rd pair that hurt, I realized that they were putting me into what was available on the truck and not what was best for me. The worst was when I was sized into a 12EEE when I wear a 13. He said "it will fit you better than a 13." They hurt for 6 months. That was the last pair I ever purchased from the boot truck.

The one thing I will never do again is buy from the boot truck that came to the plant when I worked in Maintenance. After the 3rd pair that hurt, I realized that they were putting me into what was available on the truck and not what was best for me. The worst was when I was sized into a 12EEE when I wear a 13. He said "it will fit you better than a 13." They hurt for 6 months. That was the last pair I ever purchased from the boot truck.
That sounds like more of an issue with who set up the boot truck. I have one come in on site every 6 month (we offer free boots to employees every 6 months) and i tell the company what i want on the truck ahead of time so when it comes its not a waste of time for everyone.

That sounds like more of an issue with who set up the boot truck. I have one come in on site every 6 month (we offer free boots to employees every 6 months) and i tell the company what i want on the truck ahead of time so when it comes its not a waste of time for everyone.
I agree there. Let me clarify my statement - I will never purchase from that boot truck again.

Im currently a big fan of Dr Martens. Working with a lot of coolant, oils and steel chips they seem to hold up the best since they have a one piece sole. I get new ones through work every year and they are to me super comfortable too. Look comfort first and then something that will hold up to the enviroment you are in. If not for the metal chips I have no doubt these would last a few years.

I have a pair of Cardinal Boots that have been great!! I would highly recommend them.

I have two pairs of Danners that are both over 15 years old and still going strong. Very well worth the money I spent on them. I spend about $250 for each pair. So $500 over 15 years, if you break that down buying the cheap pair at $100 a year I would be looking at $3000 total on the cheap boots.

The 2 work boots I use are Ariat's and Danner's. I have had both pairs for 5yrs and they are still very comfortable. Redwings are good too, but I am allergic to whatever oil they put in their leather.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

100% agreed with this.
Red Wings with Superfeet is a winning combination.
Get a nice pair and put superfeet in them. They will last a long, long time and be comfortable.

Need to add that I'm speaking about steel toe shoes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I swap out between a pair or Ariat, Justin and El Dorado. Granted they aren't "work" boots but they've seen the inside of a few vessels and plants. Come to think of it, the steel toes that are in thr trunk are 4 years old and still have the tags on them.

The Justin's are 10 years or so old, the Ariats are going on 4 and the El Dorados are new.

Our service guys go through boots pretty quickly though, a couple pair a year.

The 2 work boots I use are Ariat's and Danner's. I have had both pairs for 5yrs and they are still very comfortable. Redwings are good too, but I am allergic to whatever oil they put in their leather.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If danner weren't so spendy I'd own a pair but my uniform boots get too beat up after a yr for me to pay out of pocket to cover the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent a long time wearing Corcorans, whether in the old black leather boot or the modern Army suede boots. Yes, I know, I have a lot of other stuff that goes into how my boots have to look, have to be 8" in height, the sole has to look a certain way, which restricts some of my options. Recently I tried out a pair of Tactical Research Transition boots, which have a much lower heel and are very light, and I absolutely love them. Sole durability is not awesome, but it's tough to tell because I'm pounding out about 4+ road miles per day, which is a big step up. Still, foot fatigue has gone down, which is really nice. I do still have my Corcorans for civilian mechanical work, mostly because I prefer boots to the Doc Marten shoes I have.

I only wear Redback.

They are expensive but the soles are bulletproof and do not absorb oil. They are amazingly comfortable as well.

I'm also a mechanic

I only wear Redback.

They are expensive but the soles are bulletproof and do not absorb oil. They are amazingly comfortable as well.

I'm also a mechanic

At least there is someone else wearing thses, I am also a Tech...These things still look new. I know of one person who has had his for 8 years and still going.

Look at the Ariat line of work boots. They look good and are super comfortable.

Funny this thread is on a golf forum,but I can relate well with this one.Had my 2nd interview today/testing for a safety coordinator position at a rolling mill.Learned quite a bit about safety essentials/mainly boot styles.Pretty interesting really

We get work boots once a year for free and after trying a few different brand Ariats are my favorite by far.

Surprised no one had mentioned Thorogood. Boots aren't worn every day but have been comfortable now for 3 years, Working at a chemical plant as a contractor.

;4237648 said:
Surprised no one had mentioned Thorogood. Boots aren't worn every day but have been comfortable now for 3 years, Working at a chemical I plant as a contractor.

Everyone I've worked with that's owned a pair has said they are so uncomfortable. I was going to order a pair because I like the fact they are union made. But its hard for me to spend the money on boots that I can't try them on before hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised no one had mentioned Thorogood. Boots aren't worn every day but have been comfortable now for 3 years, Working at a chemical plant as a contractor.

I have had bad experiences with thorogood. Very uncomfortable for me

Well after all the comments I'll definitely be trying red wings in the upcoming months. I'm about due.

I'm not sure what you should do, but I would recommend getting something comfortable. I'm a college teacher and am on my feet almost all day. I wear Doc Marten boots. I've owned both those made in England and in China. Odd as this may seem, I've have better luck with those made in China. These run about $100 a pair and last me for years.

Back