Hello newbie here

Matt03Z06

Reaction score
Hello fellow hackers,

Typical story here, just getting back into golf after not playing for 10 years. Not even sure why I gave it up 10 years ago, because I love to play. I played a lot in highschool and some in college, not for the highschool just on my own, local course in high school had all day green fees and I would go and play all day long, walking, in the summer heat, could not do that today. I couldn’t really afford decent clubs back then, I had a set of ram irons, my woods were made of actual wood, and I don’t even remember what I used for a putter. I was terrible, if I remember right I shot 110+, but I still loved it. Once I got into college and started making a little money of my own, I was able to actually buy some name brand clubs, lower end but name brand. I had a Taylormade R580 driver, Nike CPR irons and an Odyssey DFX putter(still have the irons and putter). The equiptment change improved my game but I gave up playing not to long after that.

Back to today, I moved to the OKlahoma City area where there are many more options to play the game of golf than where I had been living. I’ve started playing again and went kind of crazy hitting the used golf market the last couple months, but got some pretty good deals. Not sure if I will get them in this year with winter fast approaching, but if not come spring I am going to take some lessons. Since picking up a club again, I am hitting the ball better than I ever did 10 years ago. I’ve been going to the range twice a week and playing a local small 9 hole course, just with the goal of developing some distance control and feel again. On this course the longest hole is around 127 yards and most holes are 55-80 yards. I am hitting about 30% GIR and when I do miss I am only a couple yards off the green, seeing some birdies and pars which is something I never saw before. I do have occasional flyers that cause me to not get pars. The best part of my game currently would be my short game, which helps with 30% GIR. I’m sure a good golfer would obliterate a small course like this, but making a birdie or even pars is helping my confidence level. I feel like with some lessons I can be playing better than I ever have before. I had been watching a lot of youtube videos, especially Rick Shields, which I have taken some of those lessons to the course and think that is why I am striking the ball better, but still can’t replace some one on one instruction.

I wanted to pick up better equiptment than I had since I can afford better equiptment now. Still wanted to go used just to get back into the game, I am going to get some lessons, then when I hopefully have a better repeatable swing I want to actually get fitted for clubs. So here is a what’s in my bag currently, most aquired used with a few exceptions. I do have a question about my irons which I will post in the appropriate place.

Driver: Taylormade M2 and Nike Vapor Fly, picked them both up like new for $150
Woods: King Cobra Speed 3 wood
Irons: Ping i3+ 3-pw new project X shafts and new grips
Wedge - Titleist Vokey SM5 56*
Putter: Tommy Amour Impact 3 (bought this one new, love the feel of it)
Sun Mountain speed cart
Got two new bags, picked up a nice Callaway stand bag for $30, and bought a new Datrek cart bag when Dick’s was having an online sale.

Last edited:
Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP, definitely a great decision to pick the game back up!

Hi Matt, welcome to THP and welcome back to golf!

Welcome to THP.

Welcome!

Welcome to THP!!!

Welcome to THP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!!!

GO Patriots!

:welcome:

Welcome!

Welcome!!

Welcome to THP