Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

I had theses out for there first run today. It was cold, the ground was hard and my swing was trash and these things still impressed me. The swing was all over the place and the level of forgiveness that I saw was really amazing.

These are the real deal. On a day where I really struggled with my swing the forgiveness kept me in each hole and the entire round.

The best shot of the round was I hit a good drive left hand side of the fairway. 147 left all uphill to a pretty small green. Hit 9 iron to 4ft.

I am looking forward to putting theses in play when my swing is feeling a title better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was pretty much my experience when I unboxed them on Tuesday. Went out in 23 degree weather, with the 7 iron hit some half shots to loosen up. Then hot about 20 balls that had been apparantly topped from the mats and were laying around the grass area. Frozen ground, rock hard range balls although they are the newer wilson range balls so not too bad.

But almost every shot felt solid and flew around 135 to 140 ish I'm guessing.

I cant wait to hit them in better conditions.

I have a question for Srixon Z745 users who switched to the Apex CF's....what have you seen as the biggest surprise in the switch? Yardage differences on well struck shots? Miss hits low?

I'm interested in getting a more forgiving set and these are the only ones that comes close to suiting my eyes. My ego gets in the way and my golf buddies have started switching over to the more forgiving sets and I'm starting to see a difference in there scores especially on bad days. I'm a solid ball striker but my miss is usually low on the face and toward the toe. Low on the face with my Z745's is not bad but a little toward the toe is a killer in feel and distances. But here's my issue...my ego is stuck on players irons. I'm 51 and compete some but the 3 to 4 mins hits a round cost me 3-4 shots and if the Apex could get me to the front of greens and not in a front bunker or hazard that would be big.

Any advise would be great.
My old set was combo srixon 745's from 7 to wedge.
The low miss is where I have seen the most improvement so far.
On well struck shots the apex are longer by about 5 to 8 yards on the 7 iron.
I do miss the wedge from the 745 set though

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think the 760 was the stock graphite shaft in R. It's the 780 in S.

Think you are right, in the previous model apex, it is 660 for A/R, and 680 for the S flex. I ordered my set with S flex recoils, will update as soon as I have them (hopefully soon!).

Think you are right, in the previous model apex, it is 660 for A/R, and 680 for the S flex. I ordered my set with S flex recoils, will update as soon as I have them (hopefully soon!).

I have the 680's in my XR's. Can I assume the 760's weigh more.

I frickin' love these irons. I warmed up with a 7 iron today before getting my GBB dialed in and was destroying it. Can't wait to get out and play with them!

I have the 680's in my XR's. Can I assume the 760's weigh more.

Not sure if the 760s weight much more, per the Callaway website the weights are:

UST Mamiya Recoil 760/780 Graphite
ManufacturerFlexShaft WeightTorqueKickpoint
USTLight (F2)68midlow-mid
USTRegular (F3)68midlow-mid
USTStiff (F4)87midlow-mid

http://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/irons-2016-apex.html

And per Golf works website on the 660/680:

Recoil 660 Iron, A Flex - 370" tip (68g) 2B2M -$39.99In Stock
Recoil 660 Iron, R Flex - 370" tip (71g) 3B2M -$39.99In Stock
Recoil 680 Iron, S Flex - 370" tip (82g) 4B2M -$39.99In Stock
Recoil 680 Iron, X Flex - 370" tip (84g) 5B1M -$39.99Backordered

My guess is they are within a few grams of being the same weight.

Not sure if the 760s weight much more, per the Callaway website the weights are:

UST Mamiya Recoil 760/780 Graphite
ManufacturerFlexShaft WeightTorqueKickpoint
USTLight (F2)68midlow-mid
USTRegular (F3)68midlow-mid
USTStiff (F4)87midlow-mid

http://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/irons-2016-apex.html

And per Golf works website on the 660/680:

Recoil 660 Iron, A Flex - 370" tip (68g) 2B2M -$39.99In Stock
Recoil 660 Iron, R Flex - 370" tip (71g) 3B2M -$39.99In Stock
Recoil 680 Iron, S Flex - 370" tip (82g) 4B2M -$39.99In Stock
Recoil 680 Iron, X Flex - 370" tip (84g) 5B1M -$39.99Backordered

My guess is they are within a few grams of being the same weight.

Thank you sir

Im playing my set with the Recoils and love them Rob.

Nice vote of confidence on the Recoils, thanks for that. I'm tempted to go that route, but will definitely get fitted before committing to that expense.
Project X PXi is very tempting as well.

Anyone hit these with Recoil 760's. I saw a demo 7 iron at Eddie Watts that was build with it - not an opti fit but a stick and glue model. I don't see this shaft as an option when trying to custom build the CF16's

I play the 780's (stiff). Absolutely love them so far.

Anyone hit these with Recoil 760's. I saw a demo 7 iron at Eddie Watts that was build with it - not an opti fit but a stick and glue model. I don't see this shaft as an option when trying to custom build the CF16's

I have hit them a lot on a sim with that shaft, but not outdoors. Love the feel and results.

Callaway shipping messed up and shipped yesterday to arrive Monday. Dagnabbit

Dang Panda I was looking forward to you having these this weekend

Dang Panda I was looking forward to you having these this weekend

Trust me so was I!! I have a match on Tuesday so they will get their maiden voyage before I thump Mward in MLK day

Sorry to hear that Freddie. I know you were looking forward to getting out this weekend with those.

Shaft question. I've struggled a bit with my DG S300s in my Z545s in the longer irons getting the ball up in the air. I'm going Thursday to hopefully be fit in some new Apexes. I don't particularly like lighter shafts in my irons.

Does anyone have some suggestions on things I definitely need to try? So far my list consists of the KBS Tours and DG Pros.

What about testing the True Temper Dynamic Gold SL Steel S300? They are a no up charge on the Apex too...

Dax

What about testing the True Temper Dynamic Gold SL Steel S300? They are a no up charge on the Apex too...

Dax

I ended up with the KBS Tour V's. I really liked the feel. They have me the height I wanted from the KBS tours but without all he unneeded extra spin.

Had one of my better day at the range with these today. Love the feel and flight. Even delighted some down to hit some distances that were unreachable with a shorter club

Had one of my better day at the range with these today. Love the feel and flight. Even delighted some down to hit some distances that were unreachable with a shorter club
You were definitley hitting them solid. That wind played havoc with us most of the time. But I did notice you working them into the wind with a bit lower flight as well.

Overall I was pleased with what I saw and felt with mine. Some of the ones that had a bit of a fade on them got washed away with that left to rigjt gale force wind. Ha

But the ones that were straight or drew, really felt like they held their own against the wind. Can't wait for nicer conditions to hit them in.

I've struggled with long irons (6i & 5i) but something about the long irons in this set that gives me confidence. I hit four or five great shots with my 6i on Friday and the ball held its intended line. I'm consistently seeing anywhere from 168-178 out of my 6i and it's the perfect spot yardage wise. Every now and again I'll catch one good and it will go 180+ & it's nice to know the capability is there.

I've been trying to manage the course better so I've not hit the 5i enough, but the few times I have I've seen the distance I needed. Me and my 5i have a love hate relationship and it's all mental I know, but I no longer avoid hitting it in certain spots. I'm pondering a 5hyb, but hesitant because I know with a little practice I can pepper this one just like my 6i.

I'm jealous of those that can play. I'm sitting in my office at home just staring at these irons wishing I could play golf soon

I'm jealous of those that can play. I'm sitting in my office at home just staring at these irons wishing I could play golf soon

I hear you. There has been a lot of carpet putting going on in my household.

I've struggled with long irons (6i & 5i) but something about the long irons in this set that gives me confidence. I hit four or five great shots with my 6i on Friday and the ball held its intended line. I'm consistently seeing anywhere from 168-178 out of my 6i and it's the perfect spot yardage wise. Every now and again I'll catch one good and it will go 180+ & it's nice to know the capability is there.

I've been trying to manage the course better so I've not hit the 5i enough, but the few times I have I've seen the distance I needed. Me and my 5i have a love hate relationship and it's all mental I know, but I no longer avoid hitting it in certain spots. I'm pondering a 5hyb, but hesitant because I know with a little practice I can pepper this one just like my 6i.

i am starting to love my 6i. Initially it was a swing issue but with that getting corrected I am getting comfortable with 6-p and love the flight even with few bottom grooves. The 5i has been hit or miss but I hit about 3 shots 180 into a stiff wind. Overall these are really good and I am no longer missing the z545s.

That was me the last couple weeks. I'm hoping our winter holds off this year.

i am starting to love my 6i. Initially it was a swing issue but with that getting corrected I am getting comfortable with 6-p and love the flight even with few bottom grooves. The 5i has been hit or miss but I hit about 3 shots 180 into a stiff wind. Overall these are really good and I am no longer missing the z545s.

That was me the last couple weeks. I'm hoping our winter holds off this year.

I'll admit I miss the VSole on my Z545's, but it's less and less each time out

These thing are silly easy to hit, I hit CAA_Beat's today what the hell the Recoils. Good lord they are longer than long. Ripping these into a heave breeze, the ball was effected, but nearly as much as I expected. With the shaft pairing he has I saw a very high ball flight, but that was more about the shaft pairing than anything else.

Back