2016 Grandaddy Of Em All - We Want You

Just a heads up, but this is only available to Albatross Club members

I just made my payment. Looking forward to being able to participate in some THP events!

I believe this is THP's year!

Looking forward to a full 11 months of prep from the Grandaddy team. This is the year! Going to see that belt around Dan's waist! Bout time somebody made JohnnyRod and Finley cry.

Just remember, there is SO much more to this event than meets the eye. Harry made a brilliant post on the competition aspect here on the forum after the recent one, yes, it is a competition, yes, we want the belt, but it is about SO much more than that.

Take what you THINK this event is, and multiply it times 1,000. You still won't get the depth and breadth of this week in Cali.

Just remember, there is SO much more to this event than meets the eye. Harry made a brilliant post on the competition aspect here on the forum after the recent one, yes, it is a competition, yes, we want the belt, but it is about SO much more than that.

Take what you THINK this event is, and multiply it times 1,000. You still won't get the depth and breadth of this week in Cali.

Nailed it as usual.

When Leishman and I were playing him and Chad we were struggling and he said something pretty profound.

He said to us, "hey do you remember that guy who played lights out last year?" We both paused and couldn't think of anything, and then he responded, "exactly! Just have fun." I'm not saying you shouldn't want to win, but at the same time take in the entire experience, because it is truly life changing.

Nailed it as usual.

When Leishman and I were playing him and Chad we were struggling and he said something pretty profound.

He said to us, "hey do you remember that guy who played lights out last year?" We both paused and couldn't think of anything, and then he responded, "exactly! Just have fun." I'm not saying you shouldn't want to win, but at the same time take in the entire experience, because it is truly life changing.

Harry and I had a very similar discussion!

It's always so cool to see the excitement from their side each year, they love/want to be there just as much as Team THP!!!

Sure I have read that in another thread....did you just copy and paste it? :alien:

The competition side of the event is a big part of this, but in some ways I almost imagine it pales into insignificance when you throw everything else in there with it

Backing on Freddie...

What are you doing to prep for game should your name be called?
Mental prep?
Short game prep?
Or sit back and wait until your name is called to prep?

Hopefully the later two...
All of it, except waiting.

I'm assuming that everyone is practicing and has this event on their mind while doing so. #hideawayorbust
I have been to the range 6 days in a row. Headed for a round tomorrow. I hope to drop 3 strokes by year end. All of this work is in hopes of hoisting that belt with my fellow THPers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sure I have read that in another thread....did you just copy and paste it? :alien:

The competition side of the event is a big part of this, but in some ways I almost imagine it pales into insignificance when you throw everything else in there with it

I'll say it from the rooftops from now until the end days.

I'm also going to add this, which should be obvious, improvement is GREAT, it is key, but more than anything PLAY TO YOUR HANDICAP. Also for the love of everything holy, putting, putting, putting.

What are you doing to prep for game should your name be called?
Mental prep?
Short game prep?
Or sit back and wait until your name is called to prep?

Working on my swing and chipping and putting in the living room (because of the snow) mostly everyday since the last Grandaddy ended. I need to get more simulation rounds in because the living room ain't cutting it. Super pumped to get back outside once the snow melts and the grounds are soft enough to play. Also excited for my league to start the end of April to work more on my game and to win the overall league again (have won the league 2 years out of the 3 I have played and am hopeful for going 3 for 4 this year!). The long, mid, short, and mental game will be ready for the 2016 Grandaddy! I promise you that.

That's kind of one thing I've been trying to see and honestly it's exciting. I'm not saying by any means I won't work hard to play my best golf out there if I'm lucky enough to be selected. However the biggest thing I would focus on is having fun because based on following the event every year that's all Callaway really cares about is making sure everyone has fun.

I'm also going to add this, which should be obvious, improvement is GREAT, it is key, but more than anything PLAY TO YOUR HANDICAP. Also for the love of everything holy, putting, putting, putting.

I will need to check for definite, but I think the last half a dozen or so rounds that I played before the weather got in the way ranged from about 2 shots over my handicap to 5 shots under - does that qualify for the bolded part? :D

Putting has definitely been something I need to work on but this last year has seen an improvement in the consistency so I am hoping to keep that trend going through this year and beyond

1. What are you doing to prep for game should your name be called?
2. Mental prep?
3. Short game prep?
4. Or sit back and wait until your name is called to prep?

1. Busting my hump to lower my hdcp as well as get more consistent.
2. My mental game is there. Once past the first tee I'm good to go. But to work on the first tee jitters, get in as many THP events that I can.
3. chipping and putting during winter inside.
4. Nope gonna prepare all year long.

If I'm one of the lucky chosen ones. I'm Gonna do my best to help Captain Canadan bring home the belt as well as forge some great friends in the process.

Honest question for 2016 hopefuls.

What means more to you? Winning the belt or having the time of your life? And i know you can do both and i know most of you are probably going to answer both, but theres a reason i ask this.

What means more to you? Winning the belt or having the time of your life? And i know you can do both and i know most of you are probably going to answer both, but theres a reason i ask this.

For me the experience would mean more but winning the belt would be the icing on the cake.

I think having fun will come when we win the belt. I'm a competitive person at heart so I would want to win the belt and leave it all out on the course.

I'm practicing every week. Anytime I get a chance to play 18 I'm taking it serious and enjoying it at the same time. Including range time.

Really good question PhillyV. I know my answer, but I want hopefuls who haven't experienced it to answer first

While winning the belt would be the most awesomest thing in the world, if that's even a thing. It's the having the time of your life part that has me excited. I've watched from the sidelines in the past and I want to be a part of the Mother Effing Grandaddy. There is nothing like it in the world. The venue is spectacular. The sponsor is awesome. Thp is amazing. The ZooCrew are great ambassadors. What else is there?

Both. I'm a competitor, a fighter, and a winner, I absolutely hate losing, but if I have the time of my life while losing then it's okay by me. However, I'm overdue to have some fun in my life and The Grandaddy is exactly what I need. Friends, fun, golf, food, laughs, tears, comfort stations, warm towels, swag, drinks, plus so many more are all stories for a lifetime and this is what the f'in Grandaddy is all about and if chosen these memories would forever be engraved in my head and the stories would be passed down from generation to generation!

Is that ever a big one. Hard to have fun on a difficult course when you're struggling to come close to your handicap despite playing decent golf.

Bring what you know you're capable of, an honest cap, and the rest should fall beautifully into place. Like any 'competitive' event.

I can answer unequivocally: having the time of my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm competitive and winning is important to me. It would be especially awesome to be part of the first THP team to take the Grandaddy. But if my experience at The King last year taught me anything, it's that the competition is just one part of the equation and it's not the biggest one. And I suspect that's particularly true at The Grandaddy.

Part of me says winning, part of me says having the time of my life, but another part of me says the chance to meet some amazing people from THP, The Hideaway and the golf industry that care about golf and having fun as much as I do. I think the chance to rub shoulders with people like that who all share a common interest and potentially make new friends for life is what the spirit of this is all about for me

The fact that it would be an experience you would never forget is just something truly special

It is almost akin to meeting your biggest idol and finding out that they are even better in person than they appear on the TV

I used to think it was always winning the belt, a win at all costs mentality, but after watching the past 3 years unfold from afar, I think it's now more about the experience, interacting with the zoo crew, visiting ECPC and callaway, and making it the best time of your life along side them.

Back