What’s your biggest distance gain due to equipment change

Yenz

Reaction score
Handicap
With OEMs boasting distance gains for every single club they churn out, I’m sure we are all rightly skeptics of these “gains”.

Most of these gains are usually honeymoon periods (for me). I usually notice the increase in forgiveness, but not the distance gain.

Furthermore I love shiny new clubs so my bag is usually very up to date, further reducing the possibility of newer tech giving me more distance. That being said, I do like the look of the TS fairway and wanted to demo them as my epics though great were abit draw biased.

During the demo, I was given the TS2 driver to try and literally the first hit I drove the ball 230m, a whopping 20m more than the love of my life - my g400 max. I hit a further 10 with it and another 10 with the TS3. Results were consistent. I’m sold. I came for the fairway but I left with the driver. Didn’t have time to try the fairway as the driver fitting took up the time that was allocated to me.

During my first game with it last week, the results from the simulator did not translate onto the course. It only went marginally longer then the g400 max. I thought to myself oh well, it wasn’t unexpected. Happened a couple of times with other purchases before. The next game however, was a different story. Played 9 holes and hit the driver 7 times. Shortest drive 220m, longest drive 240m. That’s 30m more. It’s ridiculous. Certain par 4s where my usual approach was an 8 iron, now I’m using wedges.

**** is real.

I’m curious to know, with all the buying the fellow club hoes here have done over the years, which purchase gave you the biggest gain and how big was that gain?

As new clubs come out and I go with newer technology I maybe see a slight improvement in distance with the driver. Other than that technology has basically kept me from losing distance as I've gotten older and into my "senior" years.

Were you fit for your G400 Max? Do you know what your launch numbers were against each other? I'm just curious as I play the Max and it is an extraordinary driver. The TS line is VERY nice.

To answer your question, I myself have not really gained any impressive yardage with a driver that I can recall. The biggest gains (or perhaps lack of loss) has been on miss hits. The MAX has given my misses much more consistent yardage.

Not being a long hitter, I use to believe that it just wasn't possible to be able to get a GIR on par fours or fives. But with the new technology in clubs, it has now become possible for me. I don't get a lot of GIR's, but whereas in the past I would never get any GIR's. I especially attribute this to the addition of a 3 and 4 hybrid to my bag. The addition of a GBB Fusion driver hasn't hurt me either.

Were you fit for your G400 Max? Do you know what your launch numbers were against each other? I'm just curious as I play the Max and it is an extraordinary driver. The TS line is VERY nice.

To answer your question, I myself have not really gained any impressive yardage with a driver that I can recall. The biggest gains (or perhaps lack of loss) has been on miss hits. The MAX has given my misses much more consistent yardage.

I bought then g400 max blind and absolutely loved it. Super forgiving and gives me good distance. Fitted it with the Tour AD IZ5s which give me about 2900-3000 spin. Not fantastic spin numbers but that was the lowest the fitter can get me into. My usual Kurokage XM60S spins at 3500 with the max.

The TS3 with the stock Kurokage DC however, only spins at 2400-2500. So I guess looking st the spin the distance gained shouldn’t be a surprise. It’s also interesting to note that the TS2 gives me very similar number as the TS3. But shots tend to go left that’s why i went for the TS3.

Won’t be selling the g400 max though. Can’t miss with that thing. On bad swing days it will be helpful.

Easily picked up 30 yards+ with much tighter dispersion by getting a Ping G400 Max with Tour 65 shaft.

I think a few years ago when I was fit into the 2016 M2 I saw the largest gain. It was the first time I was able to truly optimize my ball flight and pick up a few mph of ball speed.

I had a big distance gain when the ProV1 came out but very little with any equipment since 2000. My 2003 Ping G2 driver is about 6 yards shorter off the tee on average than my Epic SZ.

My most impressive gains was finding the right shaft combo - truly incredible how important that is to good numbers.

Shaft change. I gained about 10 yards. Maybe more or less, but around a club length was in my head. Biggest head gain was 2-3 yards on solid strikes. Both pieces of equipment lowered my launch angle and spin rate. Eventually got away from that combo once I started hitting knuckleballs too often. That and I didn’t like the feel of the shaft.

I have had 8 three hundred yard drives with my epic this year. My last drive over 300 was 2010.

No big distance gains for me, but tighter dispersion with the G400 Max driver. The forgiveness is real for sure.

I'm impressed with some of the gains listed above. I've never gained substantially from club changes except going from a set of traditional lofted mizzys to my Apex. I have found though that newer clubs allow me to keep up distance wise as I find my swing speed slowing down a bit. Damn age.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Getting fit in to the correct shaft have me the biggest distance gain. I can't remember the exact number but it not only provided extra distance, but more consistent distances with driver.

I second this. I have noticed lack of a loss of distance on mishits on drivers and irons.

Going from 13* driver that I had as a junior to a modern driver (that wasn't cracked) was major increase. Otherwise, pretty much everything has been technique. Irons go a lot further when you hit them out of the middle and balls seem to be more or less the same for distance off the tee.

Back