Do You Play Smart Golf?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Its a question that came up this morning about whether or not you play Brett Favre style or Alex Smith style (for NFL fans). What we were talking about is course management vs playing your game regardless. One of the areas we were specifically speaking about was taking less off the tee to avoid a narrowing fairway or bunkers. Punching out vs trying the hero shot. Playing to the right area of greens rather than pin hunting each hole.

What say you THPers?

Yup I think I do. I despise making doubles, so if I get in trouble I generally take my medicine, get it back in play, and try to make sure I save bogey. I do tend to pull driver more than most, but its honestly probably the straightest club in my bag.

I try to play smart in areas where I know I struggle. It doesn’t seem to stick well. I’m not a long hitter so par 5s are tough holes for me. I’m generally trying too hard off the tee and I get myself to a point where I’ll be able to reach in 2 but it has to be a great shot.

I actually forced myself to layup to 100 yards during a round a few weeks ago to see the results and I ended up with two birdies instead of pars and bogeys. Naturally the next round I was hitting 3W again instead of laying up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a question that came up this morning about whether or not you play Brett Favre style or Alex Smith style (for NFL fans). What we were talking about is course management vs playing your game regardless. One of the areas we were specifically speaking about was taking less off the tee to avoid a narrowing fairway or bunkers. Punching out vs trying the hero shot. Playing to the right area of greens rather than pin hunting each hole.

What say you THPers?

A man’s gotta know his limitations.... I think I’m a combo of both... Farve off the tee (need as much off the tee as I can get) punch out to a number if I’m in trouble.... take one more club and choke a 1/2” in the fairway.... pin hunt only if a miss is not trouble.... green side bunkers are not the worst place (unless Dubsdred)

Yup I think I do. I despise making doubles, so if I get in trouble I generally take my medicine, get it back in play, and try to make sure I save bogey. I do tend to pull driver more than most, but its honestly probably the straightest club in my bag.

I have always been a go for it kinda player. Thinking the best plan was to try to teach as far as possible on every shot.

This was the first year I didn’t and even bagged a second higher loft driver late in the season. For me, I decreased my handicap by almost 5 strokes.

I still kick myself a lot as I don’t always pick the right club when around the greens. When to bump and run vs a higher lifted club. Will continue to work on that part.

I usually play the opposite, but I'm trying to play smarter. My issue is that I get angry, try to play hero shots, pick bad clubs, shoot a snowman, rinse and repeat. If I played smarter, my scores would be lower. When I try to play smart, I get bored.

I have learned over the last 2 seasons to except my limitations and play good course management. There is one course I play about 5 times a year and is you don't use good course management it will chew you up, after I learned that I was able to shoot in the 70's a few times rather than the upper 80's low 90's.
My game might not be the most exciting but I prefer the better score when I can. I still put up bad rounds though.

I think this year I've played way too loose and my GHIN shows it. Last year I was way smarter and took less hero shots and played way better golf, this year was more about taking the shots I thought would be more fun and I paid for it.

I’m working on playing smarter. I’ve been trying to take less than driver almost every tee. Driver is a trouble club for me.

I’ve also been trying to make the right call when punching out, sometimes you need to go through, and sometimes you need to just get safe, making the right call there can be tricky.

Alex Smith all the way. Play my best when I take my time and limit my mistakes. Much more joy for me going low than being aggressive.

I think I gotten smarter over the years. Even some par 5’s I tee off with hybrid because I for sure can’t reach green in 2 no matter how well I hit a driver. No more hero shots and aim for middle of green 90% time unless green is huge and need to take full club difference.
Punch out to fairway and accept your bad drive. Aim your lag putt so you’ll have uphill putt for 2nd.
Same for greenside chipping and bunker shots. Leave your self uphill putt. I need to tell my self I’m not a pga pro so chipping it in rarely happens. Use my putter near the green when it’s possible.
I don’t remember the last time I triple bogie. Worst is double.

I think it's one of the strengths of my game.

I try to play the shots I know I can hit.

I try to play smart or at least within the boundaries of my skill level.

I’ll take less off the tee a few times a round but on the fairway, rough or in the trees I usually go for it. It is one of the things that brings enjoyment to the game.

I grew up with my golf teacher preaching “course management.” Now that I’m pushing 60, I finally try to do that.

Off the tee, I play to avoid avoid hazards so if I have to carry or be short of a fairway bunker or water, that'll dictate what I use. Same sort of thing applies when laying up or not. But, I'm a sucker for pin hunting.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Depends on where my game is at. Earlier in the year, when my swing was consistent and I was striking the ball well, I was much better at course management; I played/punched out to a number because I knew I had a strong chance to hit the green with an iron in my hand. Since messing up my back, and losing that consistency, I've gone back to taking too many chances. I guess I figure, I'm as likely to chunk or hook the iron from the fairway anyways, so why not take a chance from the trees... (as I type this I'm realizing how badly I need to get back to lessons)

I've always been a Brett Favre type player, but in my old age (42 now :D) I'm playing smarter golf. Part of that is I've recently moved and the local courses are a lot tighter with lots of OB. I hit a lot of irons off the tee box now and play a little safer into greens. I don't make as many birdies as I used to, but I'm trying to keep the big numbers off the score card.

I manage my game pretty good off the tee. I used my 3w and utility club off several tees today.

I think I may be a bit Jake Plummer-esque.

Capable of attempting to play smart---but slinging it when the score heads South.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've worked on playing smarter this year, if I can't get there on my second shot I'll play to a yardage instead of try to strong arm it as close as possible. A full 54* feels much better for me than a 1/2 shot with that club.

I know how to take my medicine but at the same time I don’t know how to not take on any flag. Unfortunately I’m not good enough to take on any flag.

I try and use course management a lot. The trouble is it back fires quite often!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not as much as I should

Back