PING G Crossover Preview

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The following is a press release:

PHOENIX (January 11, 2016) – Developing knowledge and drawing inspiration from sources as diverse as dragonfly wings and 18-wheelers, PING today launched its new G series of drivers, fairway woods, hybrids and irons, again advancing speed, distance and forgiveness to unprecedented levels without sacrificing other performance attributes. This year PING went one step further, creating a new club category with the G Crossover, combining the best of hybrid and iron technology.

The new products, which are all custom fit and built to precise specifications, can be pre-ordered beginning today at PING-authorized golf shops around the world.

“It’s a credit to the imagination and the disciplined approach of our engineering, design and research teams that we’ve elevated performance across every category in new and exciting ways, innovation that will make the game easier for golfers of every ability level,” said John A. Solheim, PING Chairman & CEO. “Our design process is different, as we gather information from the world around us, study new materials, and test rigorously to make sure our products give golfers meaningful results. The process leads to breakthroughs like Dragonfly Technology and Vortec Technology, found in the G drivers. We’ve also created a specialized heat-treatment process and COR-Eye Technology to make the G irons longer, higher-launching and more forgiving, a combination that’s very difficult to achieve. And with the new Crossover product line, an entirely new category, there’s a lot to be excited about.”

Crossover
PING created a new category – the Crossover – to combine the precision, workability and control of an iron with the ball speed and forgiveness of a hybrid. “People love the look and feel of the Crossover because they haven’t seen anything like it,” Solheim said. “It shouldn’t be confused with a driving iron; it’s higher-launching and much more forgiving, and offers a lot of versatility. Our extensive player testing has revealed this to be a very attractive option.” The high-strength Carpenter 455[SUP]®[/SUP] steel face is precision machined to an optimal thickness for greater face flexing, faster ball speeds and longer results. The flat face, narrow top rail and appropriate offset deliver iron-like accuracy and workability. An innovative cascading internal sole engages the entire face, sole and top rail in flexing to maximize distance. Extreme heel-toe weighting helps locate the center of gravity low-back and expands the perimeter weighting to create a high MOI for maximizing forgiveness.

- Available 3 (18°), 4 (21°), 5 (24°)
- Stock graphite shaft: PING Alta 70 (SR, R, S, X); No upcharge optional PING shaft:
AWT 2.0 steel (R, S, X); Optional PING shaft with $30 upcharge: Tour 90 (R, S, X)
- U.S. MSRP $247.50

G_Crossover_AdImage_Sole-XL.png

These in 4-5, plus the i from 6-PW would be fun. Something I'd need to see in hand before thinking of ordering, for sure.

a very interesting one, I wuold love to see some pics at address, and I can't wait for the review

I'd have to see these in person. Being a Ping product, I'm sure they hit better than they look. It's a solid concept, for sure.

I'd have to see these in person. Being a Ping product, I'm sure they hit better than they look. It's a solid concept, for sure.

this made me chuckle, ping is just like Ogio, great products, not a fan of the looks

I guess I'm on the opposite side of you guys. I love the looks of PING's stuff - but, I think they're very much a love it or hate it brand.

I am very intrigued, this sounds right up my alley.

If this is a better looking version of the G15/G20 hybrids, I could see people loving this.

I need to see this in person. I will reserve judgement until then

I don't mind the look of it. I really want to hit this club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd take a swing with it and see how it performs, other wise it does kinda look like a driving iron. Hopefully the shop has one in to try SOON.

Interesting irons. Not a driving iron, but they sure look like driving irons. Would like to hit these and see the results myself.

Not going to lie, I think that looks really cool. Would have to see in person but I like the color and the look

These are a pleasant surprise. Like the Titleist T-MBs. Very interested in hitting one of these, seems like it's going to have some distance in them.

I need to see more photos....sounds like a good comparison to the Apex from the sounds of it.

murdered out is a interesting route for ping to go

the fancy terminology is fun but really it just comes down to it it performs or not.

why all the fluff? should just be "Here try this. It should make you hit it further and higher. Have fun!"

Looks pretty awesome.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

the fancy terminology is fun but really it just comes down to it it performs or not.

why all the fluff? should just be "Here try this. It should make you hit it further and higher. Have fun!"

Not really different from any other press release though. The video probably says it the best - "speed of a hybrid, spin of an iron".

Can't wait to try this out.

Not really different from any other press release though. The video probably says it the best - "speed of a hybrid, spin of an iron".
right. I'm not saying ping is doing something outside of the box. it was more of a general statement. just so happens ping had a release today.

all in saying is probably 90+% of golfers don't care what the technology is called so long as the club does as it should do.

I might be wrong but I think sometimes it's unnecessary to come up with catchy named for things that normally need not be named.

right. I'm not saying ping is doing something outside of the box. it was more of a general statement. just so happens ping had a release today.

all in saying is probably 90+% of golfers don't care what the technology is called so long as the club does as it should do.

I might be wrong but I think sometimes it's unnecessary to come up with catchy named for things that normally need not be named.

Yeah - I don't care what you want to call it, just tell me what it does. Turbulators, internal standing waves, R-MOTO, etc.

This is the first club of the G line today that has perked my ears up. Those look like they could be fun.

I'm wondering if these resemble the Altitudes at all. Definitely giving off the hyron vibe that those did.

I need to see more photos....sounds like a good comparison to the Apex from the sounds of it.
I agree. I also thought it is interesting that a second company is now using the team "crossover" and neither mean the same thing.

Back