luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I use to see quite a few people who would carry and use a 7 wood. What is the reason why I don't see them any more?

Hybrids I’d think, combined with more forgiving UT irons, so people get a little more versatility from the those spots in the bag.

I would think the emergence of hybrids has to be the primary reason. The hybrids keep improving and making high lofted FW woods and long irons obsolete for a lot of golfers.

I still carry mine (Ashton XD1), I haven't found a hybrid to knock it out of the bag yet. That and my 5 wood are two of the longer clubs I can rely on consistently.

Simple answer.

Ego.

I still carry a 7W. I am more consistent with it out the fairway then the 3W. I also carry a utility iron for short par 4 tee shots and a hybrid for longer out the rough shots. I think my set up gives me a lot of options and versatility.

At no time do I remember 7-wood being especially available for purchase or popular. Before hybrids emerged, the "standard 14 club full bag" was putter, SW-2 iron, 5-3-1 woods.
Once lob wedges emerged people took the 2 iron out of the bag and replaced it with an L wedge.
Once hybrids emerged people took the 3-iron out of the bag and replaced it with a hybrid.
As iron set lofts became stronger they came to include a gap wedge, which meant 4 wedges became common.
So, I think throughout the years most people never found "room in the bag" for a 7-wood.

I always favour hitting woods but I had a 4 hybrid in play all the while as I assume that’s the norm.
One day a Friend said to me, why don’t u try a 7 wood instead. I took his advise and never look back since. I agree that ego plays a part when people decide against playing a 7 wood. But when I flush a 7 wood and hit 200m to pin high, no one is laughing. Play what suits you.

I have a GBB Epic 7 wood I carry. So easy to hit. I understand the purpose of hybids, but don't like the heavy weight.

In general, it is less expensive to buy a hybrid vs a fairway wood, but, 7 woods are a great option.

I have both a 7 and 9 wood. I find they go higher and are longer than the commensurate hybrid.

I love my 7w. It won't ever leave my bag setup.

I have both a 7 and 9 wood. I find they go higher and are longer than the commensurate hybrid.

I still have a 9W - I don't currently bag it, but it's a great club to use on those short par 3's of around 140 yds. A golf partner of mine use to carry a nice 7W and it was easy to hit and produced some very good results. I use to bag a Callaway Big Bertha 7 wood until this year, it was a really nice club but I didn't use it often enough to warrant it taking up room in my bag.

I use to see quite a few people who would carry and use a 7 wood. What is the reason why I don't see them any more?

If you get a high launching head and shaft, a fit hybrid will give you almost as much height, shorter shaft length, and more accuracy - in general. I have a 7 wd but do not bag it at the moment. A 22 HY is servings its purpose.

I still have a 9W - I don't currently bag it, but it's a great club to use on those short par 3's of around 140 yds. A golf partner of mine use to carry a nice 7W and it was easy to hit and produced some very good results. I use to bag a Callaway Big Bertha 7 wood until this year, it was a really nice club but I didn't use it often enough to warrant it taking up room in my bag.

I have a 6-hybrid, but that is it. I prefer the fairway woods. I know some folks who are just the opposite...hey whatever works best!

I have a Srixon 7 wood coming this week. Since I am still too inconsistent with my 3 hybrid I figured it’s worth a try. Even if I still can’t hit it off the deck I am hoping it will be better off the tee than my 4 iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think hybrids are getting better, but I still think the M4 7 wood is very easy to hit and easier thn the hybrids I carry.

Funny topic. I just bought my very first 7 wood today. I haven't been hitting my hybrid as high as I'd like and I found a great deal on a Honma TW c model 7 wood. Looks incredible behind the ball and felt great. For $129, I couldn't resist.

Definitely an option more golfers should look at. High lofted woods are easier to hit than long irons. The only thing is that hybrids have definitely eaten into the market of 5 woods and up leaving 7 woods to be a very rare option.

Definitely an option more golfers should look at. High lofted woods are easier to hit than long irons. The only thing is that hybrids have definitely eaten into the market of 5 woods and up leaving 7 woods to be a very rare option.

One the factors with modern fairway metals (whether it be 3 wood, 5 wood, or 7-wood) is that the shaft's are so long they've all become "distance clubs". Originally 3 , 5 and 7 woods came with relatively short steel shafts, which made them more accuracy clubs than distance clubs.
I think the modern hybrid , which has a relatively short shaft, provides the function that fairway woods formerly did.

Hybrids agreed most guys in my area are playing hybrids or still have not relinquished the long irons even though they should. I carry a Rogue 7 wood and love it. Can go 200-225 with it. More should try it. I even would put a 9 or 11 wood in my bag, but I really like fairway woods.

Hole #6 at Brea Creek - my nemesis. See the creek and bridge in the right background. That’s the direction of the green. This was the first time ever using my new 7 wood. And though it didn’t go quite as planned it ended up being one of my best shots on that hole.

I’ve put at least two sleeves of balls in that part of the creek this year.

24459dc27592fbfd299cc8ad799fe010.jpg

Hole #6 at Brea Creek - my nemesis. See the creek and bridge in the right background. That’s the direction of the green. This was the first time ever using my new 7 wood. And though it didn’t go quite as planned it ended up being one of my best shots on that hole.

I’ve put at least two sleeves of balls in that part of the creek this year.

24459dc27592fbfd299cc8ad799fe010.jpg

Nice 7 wood !

A 7 wood is competing with a hybrid for most people. A 7 wood for most is probably slightly better off a flat fairway lie and off the tee box than a hybrid, but only very slightly. The problem is all the other shots you can hit with a hybrid that you cannot hit with a fairway wood. Punches, out of the rough, knockdowns, etc. A hybrid is far more versatile due to it's length and profile. Also for the golfer who struggles with a slice a hybrid is far more accurate for them than a fairway wood is.

A 7 wood is competing with a hybrid for most people. A 7 wood for most is probably slightly better off a flat fairway lie and off the tee box than a hybrid, but only very slightly. The problem is all the other shots you can hit with a hybrid that you cannot hit with a fairway wood. Punches, out of the rough, knockdowns, etc. A hybrid is far more versatile due to it's length and profile. Also for the golfer who struggles with a slice a hybrid is far more accurate for them than a fairway wood is.

I’d agree with you about the hybrid being more versatile if I wasn’t so erratic with it. When I hit a hybrid shot clean it’s a thing of beauty. But that happens about 10% of the time.

Back