Work Boots Question

mcrobertsjmac32

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys had a question about work boots, or boots in general. I've had the same pair of wolverines for like 3 years (I don't wear boots all that often) and am in the market to buy a new pair. I was smoking a cigar with a friend of mine who is a mechanic and goes thru boots like I go thru underwear. I was asking him if investing in a more expensive but quality pair of boots such as a red wing would be better then having to buy a new pair of $60-$100 pair of boots a few times in the same time frame. He thinks buying cheaper one more frequently is a better option. What do you guys think? Do I get another pair of Wolverines, or a Kmart/Walmart boot or do I go for a nicer boot like a Carolina/Red Wing?‎

Get a nice pair and put superfeet in them. They will last a long, long time and be comfortable.

Need to add that I'm speaking about steel toe shoes.

Depends what you're doing with them I guess. I've had a pair of wolverines for something like 12 years that have seen a lot, including a couple of years working on a farm. They are only just now starting to come apart. The toe isn't steel, but it's pretty hard and does the job.

Get a nice pair and put superfeet in them. They will last a long, long time and be comfortable.

Need to add that I'm speaking about steel toe shoes.

Never heard of superfeet. Googled it an looks very intriguing tho!

I wear Redwings at work. Steel toes area must, and RW's are the besr I've ever found.

I wear a pair of Timberlands. I wear them daily in paper mills, petro-chem, food processing, just about everywhere industrial. I've had two pairs in 5 years.

I have worn work boots for a very long time. The wolverines aren't a bad shoe at all if you get the top tiers if the brand. I personally wore then the many years. Probably still have some of in the garage.
I actually switched over to Red Wing a few years back. Not because I wanted a better shoe, but because I couldn't find the wolverines that I wanted.
I am currently in red wings and will be picking up a new pair later this spring. A little more comfortable I guess, and the warranty is hard to beat.
In reality, either are good work shoes. Just find some that are comfortable.

I believe in taking care of your feet. So I buy a good pair of boots that fit properly and replace them as needed or resole them if I can. Currently I'm wearing double h pull-ons(cowboy boots) and I have two pair of Justin's(one lace up and one pull-on). I've had good luck out of red wing in the past(4pairs).

If you have to wear safety toe I suggest going with composite especially if you are outside. A composite toe is lighter and doesn't transfer the cold into your toes like a steel toe cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work Boots Question

I've worn everything from Sears Die Hards to Redwing. My favorite boot is Ariat. But I've found that having more than one pair is the best. Rotating them to give them time to dry out has prolong the life. If a pair of boots last more than 18 months I feel I've been very fortunate. In most cases the thing that breaks down is structure in the footbed. Which causes lower back and hip discomfort. And I have orthotics for my boots. But I wear them 60-70 hours a week.

Guess I'm doing it different. Wearing Brahma from Walmart. $50. Funny thing is they are comfortable for my feet & are steel toe

I wear Redwings and have for the past 5 year or so. The current pair I have is a little over 2.5 years old and still going strong. They seems to last forever. I usually walk about 5 miles a day in them in all different terrains at work.

I wear Redwings and have for the past 5 year or so. The current pair I have is a little over 2.5 years old and still going strong. They seems to last forever. I usually walk about 5 miles a day in them in all different terrains at work.
The thing I liked about wearing Redwings was the monthly treatments and lace swap outs. Drop them off and come back in a couple hours and they're done. Prolonged the life considerably.

The thing I liked about wearing Redwings was the monthly treatments and lace swap outs. Drop them off and come back in a couple hours and they're done. Prolonged the life considerably.

To be honest, I haven't done anything with this pair. Original laces and I haven't done any leather treatment to them and they are perfect. Still waterproof and are comfortable.

The treads are pretty much gone, but at this point, I feel like I got my money's worth out of them.

I suppose it depends on what you're doing. I wear work boots all day everyday and i never buy cheap boots. It's all preference though.

Here's what I'm currently wearing, they are very comfortable and made in the USA(I try and buy USA stuff when I can)

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/914-red-wing-shoes/914-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-brown

I still have to climb poles for works and I climb in these

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=FD 2210 1535

But if you are looking for a good mid cost boot I work these for a few years and found them to be like house slippers.
http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-iri...4_ttryrSgx6v8uz-lS4Ljy7XWdpQItiwDRhoCt_Tw_wcB

I'm in my boots for 10 hours a day every day and put a ton of miles on them in dusty, dirty, rocky, muddy environments with rebar and all sorts of things that want to destroy them. I only wear RedWings because they are truly waterproof and stay that way for up to 2 or 3 years if cared for correctly. They are also like wearing slippers right from the get go, unlike most other brands that have a painful break-in period.

I was going through Dakotas, CATs, and other brands every 6 months at $120+ a pair, but my $350 RedWings last 3-4 years so to me they are worth it.

Hey guys had a question about work boots, or boots in general. I've had the same pair of wolverines for like 3 years (I don't wear boots all that often) and am in the market to buy a new pair. I was smoking a cigar with a friend of mine who is a mechanic and goes thru boots like I go thru underwear. I was asking him if investing in a more expensive but quality pair of boots such as a red wing would be better then having to buy a new pair of $60-$100 pair of boots a few times in the same time frame. He thinks buying cheaper one more frequently is a better option. What do you guys think? Do I get another pair of Wolverines, or a Kmart/Walmart boot or do I go for a nicer boot like a Carolina/Red Wing?‎
Buying work boots is a part of my daily job and i spend around $50,000 a year in boots so i kind of know way too much about boots haha If you go cheaper, you will end up spending more. Depending on the work environment, you will get 5 times the life out of a Carolina or Red Wing. If you arent working in extreme temperatures, i would recommend the Doc Martens work boot. They even make a metatarsal guard and im wearing them right now. Easily the most comfortable boot and the pair im wearing has lasted over 2 years. If you like the pair of Carolinas you have now, stick with them. It makes life hell wearing a work boot that is uncomfortable. Even if you are saving a couple bucks

I've worn everything from Sears Die Hards to Redwing. My favorite boot is Ariat. But I've found that having more than one pair is the best. Rotating them to give them time to dry out has prolong the life. If a pair of boots last more than 18 months I feel I've been very fortunate. In most cases the thing that breaks down is structure in the footbed. Which causes lower back and hip discomfort. And I have orthotics for my boots. But I wear them 60-70 hours a week.
Good call. Letting them dry is HUGE when it comes to life of a boot. Boot dryers can be had for around $20 and will honestly make life so much better for you and the boot.

Doc Martins here - steel toe and anti slip. They last me a few years. I actually need to replace them not because they are worn out but because they smell from the places I do work in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you arent working in extreme temperatures, i would recommend the Doc Martens work boot. They even make a metatarsal guard and im wearing them right now. Easily the most comfortable boot and the pair im wearing has lasted over 2 years.

That's why i wear doc martins. In 17 years of wearing steel toe work boots regularly to job sites they have been the most comfortable. They are the closest things to my Johnston and Murphy loafers that I've ever worn in regards to comfort.

That's why i wear doc martins. In 17 years of wearing steel toe work boots regularly to job sites they have been the most comfortable. They are the closest things to my Johnston and Murphy loafers that I've ever worn in regards to comfort.

I love them. We have to have metatarsal guards on our steel toes and Doc Martens offers internal and external met guards. Both are extremely comfortable

068a8a6a52678cf94f26134a859461a7.jpg

Boots need to be able to take a straight up ass whipping.

I wear 5.11s super comfortable and breathable and hold up very very well

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Red Wings are the most comfortable work boots I have ever felt. I have wide feet and the wide toe boxes in their steel toes are amazing. They are comfortable from the first minute you wear them.

068a8a6a52678cf94f26134a859461a7.jpg

Boots need to be able to take a straight up ass whipping.

I agree but more like this,
04b7f8f9ed00c1217e0768074bb02d54.jpg

10-11hrs a day here, walk 7 miles. Redbacks, awesome boots. $180ish but you can find deals on ebay ($75 new) because people buy the wrong size as it is Australian sizes.
I have had mine for 3 years and they still look new on the soles. Plus Lifetime warranty on the soles wearing or cracking. The leather will wear out before the sole.

Back