THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

I like to hear positive things. There will issues with shots, of course, but a "can do attitude" is very helpful. Don't want to hear about the hazard on the left but more of the wide fairway on the right.
I also like a friendly banter going all the time to keep things loose.

What about yardages, reading putts, or where you would like to be for your next shot in an alt shot format?

When playing with a partner what kind of things do you want to hear from your partner? How much information do you give your partner?
I'll often tell my playing partner one key swing thought I want to make sure I keep in mind before each shot. So I may ask him to give me a quick reminder of that before each shot.

As to how much I give my partner. I'll ask for input before the round on what he does or doesn't want in the way of talk and suggestions.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

What about yardages, reading putts, or where you would like to be for your next shot in an alt shot format?

I don't really worry about stuff like that, I'd rather not put undue pressure on my partner and let him just play his game, we'll get around the course just fine lol

When playing with a partner what kind of things do you want to hear from your partner? How much information do you give your partner?

Oh now this is an interesting question. If I'm playing my own ball, then I don't have a preference for what I hear from my partner. If they are familiar with the course I will be all ears for strategic advice. If they are a sarcastic oneliner type, I will look for them to keep it loose. Anything works for me when It comes to a partner. If it is a format where the partner is forced to play my ball or strategy as a team comes in, I fully expect a discussion. It may not need to be much but a realistic discussion of the hole and the strategy is a must. I've had partners who completely disengage in team events and it is just strange.

This flips on its head when it comes to information to my partner. At the very least I will remain positive and joke around to keep things loose. I'm optimistic that they would be open to discussing strategy with me but if they do not want to it doesn't matter. I can always try to tailor my input to the partner to whatever works best for them - no sense in messing up their game for my perception of what is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just positive and don't get to involved in his game, he hits a shot and I hit a shot. If there's some momentum going it's hard to not pat them on the ass or give them a atta boy, nice shot, but I consider myself pretty benign or level on the course.

when I show emotion I'm in trouble

So based on the range shootout yesterday, if I'm your alternate shot partner, I'm doing everything I can to leave you with 108 to the flag :clapp:

It depends on the format. If we are playing singles or pinehurst, I'd like to hear positive reinforcement. If we are playing alternate shot, I'd like to hear where they would like the ball distance wise or which side of the fairway or green is ideal. I may not get the ball there, but for me it's nice to know. I have only played alternate shot one other time and it was very tough. I can't say we played well, but I think by the end we had figured it out. I know I'll be better next time.

As for information about the course, I kind of play it by ear. I don't really want someone telling me every single hazard that exists and I definitely don't want to hear "that is not the place to be," if I hit a bad shot. I feel it becomes a discussion in a team event. We'll talk about the hole on the tee box, then go from there. If my partner asks a question, I'll do my best to answer.

I never give lessons to anyone on the course either. If I am asked directly, I may offer up something minimal, but it is usually only beginners who ask in my experience.

If the round is progressing smoothly and my group isn't holding anyone up, I don't think putts need to be given. It would probably be to my opponents advantage to not give putts either, as my recent putting game makes clear.
:alien:

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Early on in the match I like to give a few close maybe even knee knocker putts to show some good gamesmanship. This is in hope the same will reciprocated to me later in the match. Also I want them to feel comfortable and then later in the match I may not be so generous and let their nerves kick in

I'm just positive and don't get to involved in his game, he hits a shot and I hit a shot. If there's some momentum going it's hard to not pat them on the ass or give them a atta boy, nice shot, but I consider myself pretty benign or level on the course.

when I show emotion I'm in trouble
That is how I am as well. We all have good shots and bad I try not to get to high or low on myself for them and feel the same with a partner. I could be matched up with someone that is shooting a career worst and make the best of it. The reason for that in my mind is it could easily be me shooting my worst no need to pile on

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That is how I am as well. We all have good shots and bad I try not to get to high or low on myself for them and feel the same with a partner. I could be matched up with someone that is shooting a career worst and make the best of it. The reason for that in my mind is it could easily be me shooting my worst no need to pile on

You hit the nail in the head. That's a really good attitude to go into team play

I'll have to look into this. :D
I've always played either you give putts within a certain distance (for the entire round) or you don't. :)
Early on in the match I like to give a few close maybe even knee knocker putts to show some good gamesmanship. This is in hope the same will reciprocated to me later in the match. Also I want them to feel comfortable and then later in the match I may not be so generous and let their nerves kick in

I'll have to look into this. :D
I've always played either you give putts within a certain distance (for the entire round) or you don't. :)

A little Ryder cup psychology. Lol

I'm pretty technical, so I like to hear what my partner is thinking regarding shot placement, what clubs he's picked and why. I would reciprocate in kind.

This is the type of information I like to give and receive. Admittedly, I'm not very good at reading putts, but have gotten better after implementing some of the Aimpoint Express methods.

This is the type of information I like to give and receive. Admittedly, I'm not very good at reading putts, but have gotten better after implementing some of the Aimpoint Express methods.

I usually do not like for anyone to help read my putts. Sometimes I may ask my partner but usually I like to read in my own.

There's nothing more frustrating than to read a putt, then get another opinion and it is opposite of your gut instinct.

Then you take the line that was recommend and it was the opposite of what you read or vice Versa.

This is not tony say I don't welcome help just i don't want my partner trying to read all my putts unless I ask for help. I tend to be instinctive and quick when I putt. I don't like to dwell on the putt to long.

I usually do not like for anyone to help read my putts. Sometimes I may ask my partner but usually I like to read in my own.

There's nothing more frustrating than to read a putt, then get another opinion and it is opposite of your gut instinct.

Then you take the line that was recommend and it was the opposite of what you read or vice Versa.

This is not tony say I don't welcome help just i don't want my partner trying to read all my putts unless I ask for help. I tend to be instinctive and quick when I putt. I don't like to dwell on the putt to long.

I am the same I get in my own world when I am playing and that starts when I grab a club

I'm the same way. Putting is very personal and can change dramatically based on pace and line. If I ask for help obviously I want it, but I don't want a running putting commentary.

Yes, that type of input is great. I appreciate any help I can get. The sharing of the information, even if it turns out to be wrong, helps form a bond between partners. I like the whole "were in this together mentality". I think it's part of the team building needed for a successful outcome!! I realize that the outcome won't always be positive but the relationship built can last the rest of your life!!

I don't mind a little help reading putts, but I'll normally ask for that. I don't really talk shots out to anyone (other than myself, sometimes verbally ). I don't want a partner who is going to offer swing tips, or constant encouragement. A "hit it close" or similar is good, but don't tell me "hit a knock-down seven, starting at the left edge of the right bunker, drawing about 7 feet". That's one way to turn me off in an instant.

I think a lot of it will depend upon format. If we're each golfing our own ball, an "attaboy" on a well-played shot and encouragement for the not so well-played ones goes a long way.

If we're golfing the same ball then I would look for a little more back and forth about how to attack a hole in addition to the above.

At all times throughout a well placed bit of levity is always appreciated.

Regarding yardages, if I can't get it into the wedges I would ask to see what my partner's comfort range is and try to get it there. Putting, I'll offer input if asked but I will always take advantage of an extra set of eyes if it's me standing over the ball.

Last edited:
I'm the same way. Putting is very personal and can change dramatically based on pace and line. If I ask for help obviously I want it, but I don't want a running putting commentary.

My exact thoughts when I miss it I want to be possed off at myself not anyone else. Lol

What sort of discussions do I want to have with my partner when we're out on the course during competition? Whatever comes to mind. Obviously we'll talk about distance to the pin, and being the higher handicap player I'd like to hear how my partner is going to play the hole and take suggestions on how I should properly manage the hole myself. In regards to putting, I think I'm generally good at reading greens, but I'll ask for validation after I've done my own analysis to check to see if I haven't missed something. Other than that, if we ride in silence that's fine with me. If we spend the round chatting about family, that's fine with me as well.

In high school and college I ran cross country and track. They're loner (and lonely) sports so it wasn't uncommon to be left with my own thoughts for 30 minutes and 6.2 miles. You learn to shut down mentally and just focus on pushing your body to the breaking point, and then just a bit beyond. Golf is a different beast entirely, but if I need to go to that place to hunker down and focus on my performance, I can.

I don't really like a bunch of advice from a partner, if I've put in the preparation, it will only cloud my thinking. I should know my game by then, and what does and doesn't work for me. If I'm struggling on a read on a putt, I will ask if he is seeing the same thing as I am.
As far as the information I give my partner, I just try an remain upbeat and positive, no matter how good or bad we are playing. Each person is different so it really will depend on who I'm playing with. Some people like to talk a lot between shots and others stick to themselves during the round. I try to go with the flow.

In any format I don't look for a read on a putt unless I have some confusion or unsure what I am seeing. Everyone has their own tempo and one may read a different line base on how they would hit the putt. If I see a break one way and the see something else from a different angle is where I would get help.

yardages in an alt shot I think come into play on par 5s if the person hitting the second shot can't reach the green in two for whatever reason (short knocker, trouble, etc) then getting into the partners preferred yardage is a nice strategic discussion vice just hit is as far and maybe end up in an awkward distance for even a uneven lie.

in shambles I like to talk to my partner about the approach to the tee shots. Gets to my question about ones preferences on teeing off.

First - Much of this should be figured out before we start playing. I think having a rough outline & strategy before the round is important - although I realize everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth!
I want a partner who can stay positive and upbeat, even when things are taking a downturn. After a bad shot, saying "I can work with that", or "Just a chip and a put" really can help. I really don't see how you can turn a round around any other way? I want a partner - not a dictator, nor do I want to be a dictator. If we see something differently, lets quickly work it out - no big ego's. I get so focused sometimes I "lose focus" if that makes any sense, and I will not discount a partners input. As far as information to give my partner, I am pretty good at reading people, and will find out what they like and don't like, and play accordingly. You have to do whatever you can to put people in the best position to succeed imo.

Back