2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

I hear ya dude. Your journey has been amazing.

I look back at pictures of myself at 330+ lbs from 10 years ago and dont even recognize that person.

It really is crazy man. I picked up a 65 pound dumbbell in the gym this morning, and was like, holy crap, you have lost this. I am glad I have before pictures to compare to now, it will help ensure I never get back to that person. I know we are all motivated by something different, but honestly a messy break up has turned out to be just about the best thing that could have ever happened to me.

It really is crazy man. I picked up a 65 pound dumbbell in the gym this morning, and was like, holy crap, you have lost this. I am glad I have before pictures to compare to now, it will help ensure I never get back to that person. I know we are all motivated by something different, but honestly a messy break up has turned out to be just about the best thing that could have ever happened to me.
All it takes is some motivation dude, it can come from the oddest places too.

As far as my plan for this year, I had been pretty much waiting until my last MTB race (yesterday) to start leaning out a bit for Road Racing season. My diet now has to change, which is fine, but basically have to go back to being purely Paleo like I did this time last year. I'm not too concerned about dropping pounds (190 lbs currently), as I just need to take off some of the belly that has come back since I have been off the road bike last October.

Training starts today, 5 days a week on the bike, probably looking at doing somewhere around 300 miles per week. That, matched with a higher protein diet and cutting the carbs typically helps me lean up a bit and drop the fluff that has found it's way back to me.

Nice!! What distances do y'all cover in those higher cadence pieces? (or is it time based?)

That is my warm up. I get into push pace at 32 strokes and all out at 37.

I'm down 8 pounds so far this year. Not doing much different other than watching what I eat. Being realistic about it as well I know I will cheap sometimes or want a Beer at some point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If you didn't allow yourself that cheat or beer, you probably wouldn't be down 8lbs for the year. :)

Forms sent to trainer, waiting for the program and macro calculations. 16 weeks starts this wed.

I'd be interested to see what your trainer has you set to for macros, etc.

As far as my plan for this year, I had been pretty much waiting until my last MTB race (yesterday) to start leaning out a bit for Road Racing season. My diet now has to change, which is fine, but basically have to go back to being purely Paleo like I did this time last year. I'm not too concerned about dropping pounds (190 lbs currently), as I just need to take off some of the belly that has come back since I have been off the road bike last October.

Training starts today, 5 days a week on the bike, probably looking at doing somewhere around 300 miles per week. That, matched with a higher protein diet and cutting the carbs typically helps me lean up a bit and drop the fluff that has found it's way back to me.

Dude if you add protein and cut carbs with that routine, you are going to melt that fat off.

Goodbye 190's.

Haha not in Kansas City. My goal is by Mayish to be at 185. That would put me at like 90 pounds, which is insane to think about.

You'll get there for sure. Since you compared to the dumbbell, that's two plates. Even crazier way to think about it is, try doing a pullup with that weight strapped to you. That's what you would have had to do back when you started.

Haha not in Kansas City. My goal is by Mayish to be at 185. That would put me at like 90 pounds, which is insane to think about.

Honestly Taylor, I've been watching your progress and I'm so impressed with your journey. I know it was triggered by a very hard spot in your life, but you've really impressed me! Your progress is nothing short of the word awesome! I don't have that much weight that I personally want to loose, but your level of motivation and fortitude to keep with it is inspiring. I'm just starting this year (a week ago yesterday) and there have been times where I've thought to myself, "just take this set off" or "it's ok that you don't push yourself, your just getting started" and then I think about where I want to be, and those people (like yourself) that I'm sure pushed through the same ceiling, and I try harder. I keep telling myself, you'll catch your breath when the set is done, the pain will go away.

Keep it up brother!

Honestly Taylor, I've been watching your progress and I'm so impressed with your journey. I know it was triggered by a very hard spot in your life, but you've really impressed me! Your progress is nothing short of the word awesome! I don't have that much weight that I personally want to loose, but your level of motivation and fortitude to keep with it is inspiring. I'm just starting this year (a week ago yesterday) and there have been times where I've thought to myself, "just take this set off" or "it's ok that you don't push yourself, your just getting started" and then I think about where I want to be, and those people (like yourself) that I'm sure pushed through the same ceiling, and I try harder. I keep telling myself, you'll catch your breath when the set is done, the pain will go away.

Keep it up brother!

Thanks man. It really does mean a lot. I have had my share of struggles through all of this. I have a rooomate who eats like complete and utter garbage. I am talking Toasted Raviol, Frozen Pizza, Spaghetti-O's, hot dogs. It does test my will a bit when I see him eating that while I am shoveling down grilled chicken and veggies, but I always tell myself, nothing tastes as good as getting in shape will feel.

It is a journey, and I cannot wait to get to a point where I can just maintain. The biggest thing I will say to anyone who is embarking on something like this, is you cannot outwork a bad diet. Weight loss is 90% what you do in the kitchen, the working out and cardio will help, but it is mostly just for overall fitness/well-being.

Please try to add some fat with that protein so it can be processed properly. :)

(a little olive oil or an avocado or some fish oil added to your protein shake -- or just eat some beef and don't trim off ALL the fat)

Thats the plan.

I'd be interested to see what your trainer has you set to for macros, etc.

looking like I will get them next week. He wants me to track what I eat for the 7 days so he can see where I'm at. I'm interested to because I have gotten different results from different calculators. Which is another reason I wanted to go with him since my brother had good success and since I have to provide him numbers every week plus my current weight he will make adjustments

Today starts my journey, first goal is 75 pounds. Will reassess goals at that point. I had a knee injury 11 months ago and have gained 64 pounds in that time. Basically I used the knee injury as an excuse to be lazy. Working with a nutrionist on the diet, but it is going to be Paleo or something close. I have celiac and Paleo seems to work best.

As for exercise, the biggest thing will be getting back on the road bike. I went from doing 6k miles in 2014 to 0 in 2015. Also have started yoga to improve flexibility. Meeting with my PT who is also a TPI instructor for a workout plan tailored around my goals. Should be a good 2016.

Nice!! What distances do y'all cover in those higher cadence pieces? (or is it time based?)

There is no set distance. Today I was at 40 strokes for 200m then 40 for a minute and two minutes. Three separate blocks.

Eating some cashews for a mid morning snack. Love me some cashews!

Awesome! I really like to hear that more exercise routines and programs include rowing.
There is no set distance. Today I was at 40 strokes for 200m then 40 for a minute and two minutes. Three separate blocks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Brand new puppy is going to have me out walking around the block everyday, even at -6 temperatures... That should help my lack of motivation to workout during the winter.

We aren't eating the best while away, but we are walking a TON so I am confident that it won't have too big of a negative effect on me. I also noticed that while walking around today (minus not being able to feel my face) I wasn't tired at all and felt like I could have walked forever. So I think the little bit of working out I have done so far is definitely helping with my endurance. Baby steps...

We aren't eating the best while away, but we are walking a TON so I am confident that it won't have too big of a negative effect on me. I also noticed that while walking around today (minus not being able to feel my face) I wasn't tired at all and felt like I could have walked forever. So I think the little bit of working out I have done so far is definitely helping with my endurance. Baby steps...

Working out makes you feel so much better all around! The kitchen is for your weight, the gym is for your well-being, at least that is sort of how I look at it! Keep it up Morgan

2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Do you wear a Fitbit? I enjoyed wearing mine and seeing how much I actually walked in a day. One day I walked 19,000 steps, just walking around for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Down another 2lbs as of today, -7.8 since 1/2/16

Down another 2lbs as of today, -7.8 since 1/2/16

Great work!

Back