Iron cleaning question

CajunMan

Reaction score
Handicap
10.9 USGA
My new irons were pretty dirty after all the wet weather so I cleaned them with my brush and warm water. I then used a very small amount of the iron polish from the Wilson Ultra cleaning kit that my daughter gave me for Christmas. Question is, should I have not done the face too? Tim

Not familiar with iron polish. Always just use soap, water and a brush.

Water and soap, brush out the dirt and then wipe down with a towel. Try not to get the soap above the ferrule

Same as the the above. I would make sure it is a brush with no metal fibers. Some of the irons are really soft and can be scratched.

Water and soap, brush out the dirt and then wipe down with a towel. Try not to get the soap above the ferrule

Curious about why no soap above the ferrule. Share your wisdom, Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually just wash my golf clubs with the same stuff i use for the car. and usually after every round. Never had any problems and they look 'like new'.

Im assuming so it doesn't seep in and loosen the adhesive holding the club head to the shaft.

I usually use DW40, a brush and a sponge. I spray the WD40 on the head of the club and leave it for a minute or two then use the brush to remove the dirt and sometimes use a sponge if required and finally use an old towel to dry off the club.
The DW40 is great for removing the glue of stickers etc of a new club, be it the shaft or the club head.
I remember trading in my G10 irons and the store guy couldn't believe the condition that they were in..I could sell these clubs as ex-demo's!
I discussed this with a pro once and he laughed at me, then continued to tell me that he uses baby swipes, as the oil protects the club head.
Each to their own.

Im assuming so it doesn't seep in and loosen the adhesive holding the club head to the shaft.

Borss hit the nail on the head. Try to keep the soap on the head and some of the hosel.

I always keep a portion of a towel damp during the round to wipe my clubs off after each hit (and after a few swings on the range) and I never have any problems. It's rare that I need to get out a brush to clean them.

I just use a brush and a wet wash cloth.

I have a club cleaning brush that has soft bristles (bit like a toothbrush) that I dip into warm water and then use to clean the club head and sole

I do try to prevent water from getting into the cavity in the back and don't get it above the ferrule, but then use a towel to dry the clubs off. They go back in my bag and left to air for a while before putting both iron and wood covers back on them

I throw a little windex into the water cup that I use and it gives them a little extra sparkle.

Ivory soap, warm water, old tooth brush shines em up very well. As others have said try not to get water above the hossel if it happens to get inside over time it can cause corrosion and weaken the epoxy.

I usually use DW40, a brush and a sponge. I spray the WD40 on the head of the club and leave it for a minute or two then use the brush to remove the dirt and sometimes use a sponge if required and finally use an old towel to dry off the club.
The DW40 is great for removing the glue of stickers etc of a new club, be it the shaft or the club head.
I remember trading in my G10 irons and the store guy couldn't believe the condition that they were in..I could sell these clubs as ex-demo's!
I discussed this with a pro once and he laughed at me, then continued to tell me that he uses baby swipes, as the oil protects the club head.
Each to their own.

I traded in my old Ping i3 O-size irons last summer and got just under £140 pounds for them which I didn't think was too bad considering how old they were. I guess looking after them and keeping them clean really made a difference to what I got

I use Windex in the same type of club/ball washer at home you see on the course. I clean my clubs after every round using an old tooth brush and Windex. I would never wax/polish the face.

I just use water and a soft bristle brush. Simple and easy and makes them shine. I have never used a polish of WD-40 as I see no need. Now to the original question I cant help their as I have never used an iron polish on my clubs.

Just an old toothbrush, soap and water here and they stay pretty decent looking.

I try to clean mine after every round using soap, warm water and a brush. During the round I will clean it after the swing to get the dirt out of the grooves. I like my irons clean. I don't clean them after a simulator round tho. No need to.

I use a towel on my clubs after every shot on the course.
After the round I make a paste out of baking soda and a little bit of water. I just use my thumb to rub the paste over the clubhead. If needed I have a soft bristled toothbrush for the the grooves. Rinse with warm water and microfiber towel dry.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

After every round ill clean the dirty ones with a soft brush and water only. Then use a towel to polish and dry them. Soap i find is unnecessary.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Clean after every round with warm water and an old toothbrush. Use Mr. Clean magic eraser for the marks on the face and dry with a paper towel. Never tried a polishing compound.

$_35.JPG
After a nice cleaning try a little of blue magic to really make them shine..its kinda like a wax rub on let it haze then buff off...

Dish soap and warm water usually gets the job done for me. When I did have chrome finish on my irons, I didn't do anything special to it other than that.

Dish soap and warm water usually gets the job done for me. When I did have chrome finish on my irons, I didn't do anything special to it other than that.

Same here, and when I clean my grips with Gripes I usually rub down the heads before the Gripes dry out.

Back