best value golf purchase category ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
I think that for a consumer to receive "great value" for his/her money there should be either long lasting usage with satisfying results , or significant performance improvement resulting in lower scores, a great memory, or perhaps a health benefit.
My own list of "best money spent on golf" goes something like this :

1) $2,000 spent on lessons , and range balls, (learning and practicing golf skills which improve play/scoring for a lifetime).
2) $1,000 spent on a round of golf at Pebble Beach (memory to last a lifetime)
3) $500 spent on a quality putter that fits well and can stay in the bag for a lifetime.
4) $200 spent on quality golf footwear which may be good not only for the golf game, but also provide health benefits

So, the above are my top four "great value golf purchases".

When I shop for driver, fairway woods, iron sets or wedges I think about the hundreds/thousands of dollars these items cost, only to stay within the bag a few years, and not provide any significant reduction to golf scoring. For me these purchases do not represent any sort of "great value". I do buy these items but do so knowing it's not money well spent.

What is your own criteria for golf related expenses, including those that provide great value and others that do not ?

Last edited:
1) Membership at a good course you can walk and isn't too busy.

2) $150 to get your wife a set of clubs so it becomes a family outing and not a time I just disappear for a few hours and so I can continue to play more often.

2) $150 to get your wife a set of clubs so it becomes a family outing and not a time I just disappear for a few hours and so I can continue to play more often.

Two good answers !

+1
d.png

My putter fitting/putter/aim pint package cost me $700 and is probably the best value on money I have put in. My THP Albatross membership each year pays dividends.

best value golf purchase category ?

Albatross Club
THP Event as most come with equipment.

Although clearly I’m biased.

Albatross Club

Some bias is based more in fact than others!

Even if I had paid $1,000 for my AC membership this year, it would still be a steal!

Lots of possibilities,
1. Albatross membership and that is and will always be #1.
2. Anytime spent golfing with other THPers.
3. My Scotty putter has been invaluable.
4. My home course membership. $30 a month covers all green fees and unlimited rounds, (9 hole course)

THP Events

Lessons

Club membership

Albatross Club and THP Event (The Ultimate Weekend)

1. Trip to Scotland this past summer and all the memories we made.

2. Everything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALbatros Club as it’s a wonderful cause and there’s a part of me believes that possibly my small donation could lead to a breakthrough of some sort or a meaningful change in someone’s life.

Unfortunately I’m not in the financial position but a membership at a club is vital. It doesn’t have to be fancy but something that gives you unlimited play and practice. I’m a firm believer that if all you do is play rounds there’s only so much and so far you can go with your development.

The roughly $225/mo that I pay for unlimited golf with cart and range.

Playing more has directly resulted in the huge reduction in my index. Of course, it may also have something to do with back to back seasons suffering herniated discs.

But even considering the lost time due to injury, I consider the membership a tremendous value. Especially coming from NY where even hunting for deals, that total was for 3, MAYBE 4 rounds per month with cart at the courses I'd frequented.

Albatross Club
Putter/Iron Fittings
Pocket Bushnell GPS
Hopefully the lessons i still intend to take.

Albatross club for sure

Bought a Driver for $45 that I can’t take out of the bag

Of your 4 $500 for a putter would be way cheap. The aggravation relief alone! Plus it would pay for itself.

Albatross Club

This certainly has to be at the top. I've been able to experience a couple of dream experiences.

1. Membership to my club. I play a lot more than I would otherwise and it gets me out walking and getting some exercise.
2. The lessons I took last year. They were my first ever lessons and showed me how helpful they can be.
3. Albatross club
4. New clubs. My old ones were 90s tech and man there has been huge improvements in clubs.

Without a doubt club membership - £725 for a year

After that, it has to be the lessons I have had

Albatross Club

Don't think anything comes anywhere close to this for me

The Albatross Club is a no brainer. It's the best golf purchase I make every year.

- Our course membership is a pretty good deal. $80/month for a family membership and I get free golf at two courses in the city plus another 8 or so within an hour of us.
- The Tour Van Driver fitting I did a couple years ago was worth every penny. The price of the fitting ended up being included in the purchase of the club but it was an extensive process that left no doubt in my mind about the shaft I have in my driver.
- A full putter fitting I would imagine would be well worth the money.

1. Albatross Club. Benefits a great charity along with THP events
2. Club membership.
3. Lessons with my Club Pro. I'm about to start 2nd series focusing on short game.

- Our course membership is a pretty good deal. $80/month for a family membership and I get free golf at two courses in the city plus another 8 or so within an hour of us.
Wow, that's cheap!

- Albatross club, great cause and the chance to play with some great guys and win great equipment
- I'm going to throw the ProV1s in here, just a great ball
- The $700 in lessons that messed me up for most of the season but are starting to pay off now

Wow, that's cheap!

It really is but it comes with downfalls, the biggest being there are thousands of members and unless you get a tee time right away in the morning you're possibly looking at 5 hour rounds. Luckily I always want to be one of the first out anyway but it makes it tough playing any other time.

Back