THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Lets talk formats

While I know alot of it is partner dependent, what are some of the formats you are:

1. Havent played before but wouldnt mind playing in this event?
2 Have played before and believe your game fits it well.
1. Scramble is one i havent played before in a THP event but i think would take the pressure off of some
2. Shamble has been pretty good for me. That format seems to make me play smarter off the tee

Lets talk formats

While I know alot of it is partner dependent, what are some of the formats you are:

1. I don't think there is a format I haven't played. Not sure about modified Pinehurst.
2. I don't know if my game suits it but I like alternate shot. I know there aren't many that do. But I do. A format that fits my game would be shamble or scramble.

Lets talk formats

1. Modified Pinehurst. It sounds intriguing and I think would be a lot of fun.
2. Shamble. Give me that extra chance to have some more distance off the tee or another chance at a ball in the fairway and I seem to do well.

Lets talk formats

1. I haven't played true Alt Shot and it seems pretty intriguing. Lots of pressure to test your nerve.

2. I have played modified Pinehurst and it is a blast with some pressure in key spots.

Lets talk formats

1. Have pretty much played every format that exists, definitely enjoy some more than others.
2. I always like best ball the best. I prefer to play my own golf ball (pretty sure most do), and it allows guys to play more aggressively / go for birdies more often etc. Can also allow you to shake off a bad hole if you have 1 if your partner plays it well. Have found it to be the most enjoyable overall

Pure alternate shot is the devil and definitely the hardest partner format. Im sure its possible that could be a format for this event, but that is a hard one. Definitely prefer modified alternate shot where both guys tee off at least, and then you pick after that.

One interesting format that I play a lot is best ball but with a high ball tie breaker if the 2 low balls tie. That makes it more of a team game, where 1 guy cant just carry the team by himself all day (unless he is winning every single hole outright). Its amazing the amount of time the tie breaker comes into play and keeps everyone involved. Only downside is it can sometimes slow play down since guys may not be able to pick up unless they are REALLY out of the hole.

Lets talk formats

1. I don't know if I have ever played true alternate shot, but I think that really is the truest test of playing as a team.
2. I have played most different types and I don't really see one that stands out to me. Are there any formats that don't involve putting? Yeah that would suit me well. :alien:

THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Lets talk formats

1. Haven't played Pinehurst before, I will in Feb, but like the format.

2. Alternate shot. I find that this format requires an all around game for both team members. Find it to be an enjoyable format and I have faired well.

1. Haven't played before but wouldn't mind playing in this event?
Full round alt shot. Did 9 holes in Indy a few years back and that was definitely a test of nerve and pressure.

2. Have played before and believe your game fits it well.
Shamble because I'm semi-long (not very, just mediocre) and this helps those partners who struggle launching it down range. In this format I heavily depend on my partner to find the fairway though.

10 degrees outside. =(

I'm sure many of us have ridden in a cart with somebody who was not playing well and has gotten angry. I know I have and I have also been the person who was angry/frustrated. There is no right or wrong answer, I thought it might be interesting to see others responses.

Scenario...

Your 4 holes into a 9 hole match. Your partner is playing some awful golf, but you still have time to turn it around, however he has become visibly angry with himself. What do you do?

A. Keep trying to talk to him, tell him its no big deal.
B. Start drinking. Heavily.
C. Bear down and focus even more on what your doing you can't control what he does.
D. Get pissed off yourself.
E. Let him simmer and hope he turns it around.
F. Tell him he sucks and you can't wait to get a new partner at the turn.
G. Make him laugh and hope he snaps out of it, you can still turn the match around.
H. Ignore him completely and only talk with the other team.

Generally speaking, I'm an "E" guy. Personally I don't like conflict and when someone else's game goes to sh*t I don't want to say something and piss them off. Now if it's clearly something they are doing swing wise that I notice I might make mention of it and hope that helps. But if it's just a case of bringing the bad golf game along then I'll just keep quiet
Lets talk formats

I've only played scramble, well other than just playing my own ball. I'd be scared of playing alternative shot and leaving my partner with their shot from behind a tree, standing in a creek. Granted I know they could leave me with the same shot because this game can be quite the joke'ster at times.

I'd be game to play any format, as long as someone can explain it to me and maybe remind me from time to time how to play it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'm sure many of us have ridden in a cart with somebody who was not playing well and has gotten angry. I know I have and I have also been the person who was angry/frustrated. There is no right or wrong answer, I thought it might be interesting to see others responses.

Scenario...

Your 4 holes into a 9 hole match. Your partner is playing some awful golf, but you still have time to turn it around, however he has become visibly angry with himself. What do you do?

C. Bear down and focus even more on what your doing you can't control what he does.
G. Make him laugh and hope he snaps out of it, you can still turn the match around.

We'll definitely NOT:

A: nothing worse than someone trying to talk me out of a lousy stretch.
B: drinking...fine. Heavily....doesn't help.
D. It's golf don't get pissed, pick ur teammate up by compensating for what he lacks currently
F: probably the worst thing you could do if you don't know the person well
H: unless it's trying to rattle the other team, this won't work.

What would I do?:
C: if he's playing poorly, no need for us to both play portly and negate our chances completely to win...
E: sometimes people need to work through things on their own. We are adults and should act like adults...
G: if I know the guy well, making him chuckle at something stupid I DID might help. Otherwise, refer to C and E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets talk formats

Haven't played modified Pinehurst before. Played true alternate shot and it was pretty fun. Modified Pinehurst would leave a little more room for error.

I play well in Shambles. Like hitting from the fairway most of time. It's nice to not have to worry about having to recover from a poor drive (usually you or your partner has at least an ok tee shot). In the past, when my drives were off it would usually cost me a stroke to punch it back into play.

I'm really excited to get the team selections started. I'm hoping I make the team but with the number of Ohio hopefuls it's going to be tough. I want to get the heart break out of the way so I can start rooting for my Ohio Brethren.

Scenario...

For me its a mix between A,E, and G.
But it does depend on the playing partner.

So...should we stand behind you for safety? Always safety first.

You'll be standing behind me after the tee ball

Scenario...

A lot will depend on my partner if we know each other or not.

At this point in the match I've probably already done E so I'm gonna go with G with a little A mixed in.Gotta lighten the mood.

Lets talk formats

I don't believe I've played pine hurst and definitely not alt shot. Alt shot could be good fun much planning involved.

Shamble is always fun especially if it's a tough driving course and I think I fit it pretty well.

C would be my first choice. I would hope that if I can play well. That will take some pressure off of my partner and allowing him to relax and just play golf. Also I would use G and modify it to making small talk about anything other than golf. Once again I would hope that would take his mind off of golf and let him relax a little. The others one would be out of the question for me.

Lets talk formats

1. The only format I haven't played that I can think of is the Pinehurst system. It seems like a fun format, but it seems like it could make for some seriously long rounds. That is of course coming from someone who has never played it.
2. All the formats I believe fit my game well. I am long enough off the tee that I can help in scramble format and make enough birdies to help in the other formats.

1. Have pretty much played every format that exists, definitely enjoy some more than others.
2. I always like best ball the best. I prefer to play my own golf ball (pretty sure most do), and it allows guys to play more aggressively / go for birdies more often etc. Can also allow you to shake off a bad hole if you have 1 if your partner plays it well. Have found it to be the most enjoyable overall

Pure alternate shot is the devil and definitely the hardest partner format. Im sure its possible that could be a format for this event, but that is a hard one. Definitely prefer modified alternate shot where both guys tee off at least, and then you pick after that.

One interesting format that I play a lot is best ball but with a high ball tie breaker if the 2 low balls tie. That makes it more of a team game, where 1 guy cant just carry the team by himself all day (unless he is winning every single hole outright). Its amazing the amount of time the tie breaker comes into play and keeps everyone involved. Only downside is it can sometimes slow play down since guys may not be able to pick up unless they are REALLY out of the hole.

Isn't this Modified Pinehurst?

That is correct.

Interesting. Have never heard it called that. Think I have heard it called modified chapman maybe? Either way, still prefer it to pure alternate shot.

Lets talk formats

As some one who really hasnt played many formats other than "play your own", best ball, and a scramble. I cant really comment on this question accurately. I don't know the name of the format but its where both players drive and then you choose a drive and alternate shots. Personally my favorite.

Lets talk formats

1. Haven't played before but wouldn't mind playing in this event?

1: I don't believe I've ever played a modified Pinehurst but I'm game for anything.

2: I've played Shambles and scrambles before both of which I enjoy

I may be in the minority here, but I find Modified Pinehurst as one of favorite formats. It isn't just golf here, there is also a lot of strategy.

Interesting. Have never heard it called that. Think I have heard it called modified chapman maybe? Either way, still prefer it to pure alternate shot.

Chapman and Pinehurst are the same thing.

I may be in the minority here, but I find Modified Pinehurst as one of favorite formats. It isn't just golf here, there is also a lot of strategy.

I'm right there with ya. I suspect, with 36 in a day, this would be a great format for a late 9 hole segment to do a number of ideal things.

I actually think most would agree. I feel I would enjoy it a lot, I've just never done so.

Back