LiveView+PLUS Digital Swing Mirror - THP Review

This pic describes the way I liked using it best.

Live-View-with-Ipad.jpg

Could a phone not do similar? 60 FPS is not unheard of or anything. I’m a huge fan of specific items I’m just trying to see where this fits

Absolutely could do the same but I like the ease of this device as a semi-permanent practice tool indoors. The old set it and forget it - the mirroring on the iPad / marking up an image is a value add for sure. The $400 dollar question is whether it is enough value add to justify purchasing.

Could a phone not do similar? 60 FPS is not unheard of or anything. I’m a huge fan of specific items I’m just trying to see where this fits

Does this do anything beyond function as a camera?

If there’s something useful it can do, then I see a place for it, if it’s just a camera.....I’m a little cooler on the idea.

Absolutely could do the same but I like the ease of this device as a semi-permanent practice tool indoors. The old set it and forget it - the mirroring on the iPad / marking up an image is a value add for sure. The $400 dollar question is whether it is enough value add to justify purchasing.

Gotcha. I’m looking forward to Dan’s feedback because there are so many cameras available now that offer 60 FPS that have even have larger sensors.

Gotcha. I’m looking forward to Dan’s feedback because there are so many cameras available now that offer 60 FPS that have even have larger sensors.

Agreed. Diving into the videos makes me think a semi-permanent iPhone holder install and a good app could do the same. I’m hoping the videos are just old.

Intrigued by this device, $400 is not a small amount so curious as to Dan’s thoughts on the pros and cons of this device - the upside seems huge with dialing in the swing, I wonder if it is better than a phone though for a fraction of the price

I'm my professional opinion, 60fps is not nearly enough.

There is no way to clearly capture something like face angle at impact with 60fps. It's just be a blurry mess.

To parrot @JB, most high end phones can shoot 120 or 240fps, so why not use a phone? Screen mirroring is very easy, and with an app like V1 you can get all of the self- analysis you need.

I'm curious to hear Dan's take.

Posted on Tapatalk via my Motorola RAZR

I'm my professional opinion, 60fps is not nearly enough.

There is no way to clearly capture something like face angle at impact with 60fps. It's just be a blurry mess.

To parrot @JB, most high end phones can shoot 120 or 240fps, so why not use a phone? Screen mirroring is very easy, and with an app like V1 you can get all of the self- analysis you need.

I'm curious to hear Dan's take.

I’m aware of that, but keep in mind that this is for the most part swing diagnosis. 60FPS should be find in that arena.

I’m aware of that, but keep in mind that this is for the most part swing diagnosis. 60FPS should be find in that arena.

I’m thinking with the availability of components if they were providing a higher frame rate at that price point they’d be better off. My iPhone will shoot at 60fps so if this is just going to act as an external camera, I’d need some kind of improvement over what my phone can do natively. Give me video at 240fps so I can see impact angles and similar and suddenly this is a more appealing product at that price point.

I love the excitement for this one!!

Today is very busy for me, but I am going to try and get the maiden voyage on the range tomorrow evening, and will report what I find. Hopefully one of the guys can help a bit with screen caps and see if we can manipulate some of the teaching elements of the product while we go.

Like others, the 60fps doesn't get me that excited, but more specifically I am excited about the real time visual support it should provide. Especially when I am talking to others about their swing, it would be so much easier for them to see it happening (because seeing is believing most of the time in golf).

I love the excitement for this one!!

Today is very busy for me, but I am going to try and get the maiden voyage on the range tomorrow evening, and will report what I find. Hopefully one of the guys can help a bit with screen caps and see if we can manipulate some of the teaching elements of the product while we go.

Like others, the 60fps doesn't get me that excited, but more specifically I am excited about the real time visual support it should provide. Especially when I am talking to others about their swing, it would be so much easier for them to see it happening (because seeing is believing most of the time in golf).

I think the Real Time aspect has to be the biggest selling point, potentially. Would be cool to be able to have some of my kids seeing immediate feedback on what they feel they are doing, as opposed to what they are doing.

So, I stole some time on the range with this tonight... I don't suppose anyone's interested in hearing my thoughts? :alien:

So, I stole some time on the range with this tonight... I don't suppose anyone's interested in hearing my thoughts? :alien:

You can tell me, I’ll keep it quiet.

So, I would say my expectations were skeptically excited when I got this in for review. The idea of being able to see the swing with or without your coach in real time is a huge benefit in my books, and as a lot of the guys I play with regularly have made me their go-to "fix this" guy, it's great to teach them about fundamentals of the golf swing rather than try to change anything - Let them head down their own path.

The unit performed exactly as I expected it would, to be quite honest. The instant interaction is super easy to use, and if there isn't a second person on hand the ability to record at certain time intervals is also available for solo work. I initially used the tri-pod alone on the grass but wasn't overly excited about the down to up angle it promoted, so I latched it onto one of the club holders which worked perfectly. I bet you'd have the same effect resting it on your bag as well.

Biggest negative for me thus far is the camera quality. It absolutely gets the job done, but it's not very 'sexy' to look at. Despite what the visuals would suggest, my range is actually quite green all over. Also, the pixelation is pretty noticeable, but again, we're not here to put our swings on YouTube, we're just trying to get better at the game. So, simple negatives that have little impact on the result.

So, here's what I have.. First, my buddy Keith jumped on and found out just how much movement he has with his head. We've discussed it, but he stated openly that seeing it first hand like this, both in real time and replay, was eye opening for him. The device makes it easy to draw guide lines both during and after the swing is saved with the recording device.

453E41C0-E144-45E9-AF9E-53FF8074C799-XL.png

8E261618-0910-4C84-B2BD-3A86E0ED0459-XL.png

00ACC62F-1B4E-4BB2-A003-A89EE986E19F-XL.png

Second was Ken, who has a tough time with a sore back. Completely opposite error, and funny enough, he hit one fat which is of course his big flaw with the head movement.

3009048E-AED1-4C44-9967-B79D60304D01-XL.png

6C5C258F-E07C-4B02-B83F-511BB5BBC0FC-XL.png

and then we had a bunch of fun while I was swinging with lines haha

DF0DA79A-792B-46D3-83B5-A27C42816AEF-XL.png

B2A9A415-E624-45AF-852E-0288C0CA1CF5-XL.png

67AF4653-9698-41CB-AB1C-88B2F5E48DF9-XL.png

We got a chance to talk a lot about the swing plane, how two of the guys trapped themselves by taking it away way inside and coming over the top because of it. Lots of learning opportunities. What was the best for me, was maintaining that line while they stood at address taking their club back slowly, and visually seeing it in real time on the iPad. They were able to put the club in the right place on their own rather than having someone force the club somewhere, or move it. Then they got to think about that move, and try to recreate it in the swing.

What sets this apart from traditional video, is that it's in real time if you want it, you can add lines easily and erase them easily throughout the replay, and you can save what you want to look back at it.

Overall a great first session. For those who love to go at it on their own (and study the right way on YouTube), or for those who are teachers, this type of unit is immensely valuable.

Hmm this is interesting. I like the idea of the instant feedback. I feel like I could set up something like this with my phone, a roku and a monitor/small tv, if not just mirror from the phone to a tablet. Maybe over simplifying it. I am interested in seeing how this works out for you longer term.

Hmm this is interesting. I like the idea of the instant feedback. I feel like I could set up something like this with my phone, a roku and a monitor/small tv, if not just mirror from the phone to a tablet. Maybe over simplifying it. I am interested in seeing how this works out for you longer term.

Yeah, but you'd still need the added features of the software, like the line drawing that doesn't persist, and can be removed at any time.

It seems so simple, but I don't think it really is.

Yeah, but you'd still need the added features of the software, like the line drawing that doesn't persist, and can be removed at any time.

It seems so simple, but I don't think it really is.

Yeah, maybe so. Was thinking could use an app I've used before for that. I assume you need someone with you to draw the lines correct? It's interesting for sure. Like I said, holding judgement to hear more. Just got me thinking is all.

Yeah, maybe so. Was thinking could use an app I've used before for that. I assume you need someone with you to draw the lines correct? It's interesting for sure. Like I said, holding judgement to hear more. Just got me thinking is all.

Absolutely. Totally devils advocate. I've never used something with this kind of freedom before.

Great write up so far, Dano. I bet we can swap that crappy camera out for something a little fancier (I know I've got a screwdriver around here somewhere.)

I bet this combined with a pro-sumer launch monitor will make worlds of difference for those DIYers looking to improve their games. To be able to see your swing and then the results of changes instantly would be amazing.

Imagine something like this combined with an SC200 built into on tripod like platform...

I can’t wait to hear more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up so far, Dano. I bet we can swap that crappy camera out for something a little fancier (I know I've got a screwdriver around here somewhere.)

I bet this combined with a pro-sumer launch monitor will make worlds of difference for those DIYers looking to improve their games. To be able to see your swing and then the results of changes instantly would be amazing.

Imagine something like this combined with an SC200 built into on tripod like platform...

The problem with those tools, is placement. Someone could make it work, but at that point it might be easier to have separate devices altogether.

True. I was envisioning some sort of stick that would have the radar at the bottom and the camera near the top. Then, in theory, all you'd need to do would be to set it on the target line at the correct distance.

No need for the display on the radar if it can send the info to the monitor.
The problem with those tools, is placement. Someone could make it work, but at that point it might be easier to have separate devices altogether.

True. I was envisioning some sort of stick that would have the radar at the bottom and the camera near the top. Then, in theory, all you'd need to do would be to set it on the target line at the correct distance.

No need for the display on the radar if it can send the info to the monitor.

Right, I gotcha there. My thought was that some of those prosumer devices would have to be at a different place behind the golfer than the camera.

Now I get what you're saying. I had the SC200 in mind when I wrote that.
Right, I gotcha there. My thought was that some of those prosumer devices would have to be at a different place behind the golfer than the camera.

Nice write up, Dan. How useful do you think this would be during a range session by yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back