Angryyankee's GolfTEC Driver Fitting

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
I have an appointment booked for a driver fitting with GolfTEC. I have never been properly fit before apart from some recommendations from a big store fitter with little information. I am excited to see the results and what I will walk away with. I have my eye on the M1, but after tomorrow, who knows what I will game in 2016.
I will update this post upon completion of my fitting.

1/16/16 Fitting:
Turns out the GolfTEC was in a GolfSmith and I was fit with one of the GolfSmith pros. I was a bit skeptical at first, but as the fitting went on, I felt much better. The fitter's name was Joe and the first thing he asked is what driver I was looking at to be fit for. I told him any of the newer models from 2015. He went around and grabbed the TaylorMade M1, Callaway Great Big Bertha, Ping G30, Cobra King F6, and the Callaway XR.

He had me warm up with my gamer Cobra BiO Cell and used that as a baseline. Because my gamer was a Cobra, the first club he had me try out was the King F6 with stock shaft. The shaft was a lighter shaft then what I was using, but my swings felt good. However, the numbers said otherwise. I was all over the place on the sim and averaging around 250-260 total yards.

Next up was the M1 in full neutral settings with the Adila Rogue Silver 70. A much heavier shaft than what I use (62g). First swing went 313 yards, best swing during the session. My dispersion for the most part was center, but I was wide left and right on off center hits. Distance wise I gained a lot of yards, 260-270y.

After that was the Great Big Bertha. Joe had me use the 10.5* head, neutral settings, and the Speeder 665 shaft. My accuracy improved immensely and backspin was 2000-2100RPM. A much tighter dispersion and the distance was only trailing the M1 by 5 yards or so. Mishits weren't any different than the M1. Because I hit the GBB so well, he ditched the XR.

The final club was the Ping G30 with stock shaft. After about 6 swings, Joe said he did not like the club and the numbers I was putting up. High back spin and much less distance, around 240 average.

Going into the second round of fitting, we carried over the M1 and GBB. He has me hit the M1 again using both the Adila shaft and the Speeder 665 shaft. I was still hitting the M1 well, but fatigue began to set in and my mishits were worse than the beginning of the fitting.

We tried the GBB with a 9* head and the Adila Rogue Silver 70 shaft, My backspin jumped to 2800RPM and I suffered a small distance loss, but still was around the 260 mark. Fatigue became really noticeable now as my swings were getting pretty ugly, but he took my top five swings from both the M1 and GBB and compared them.

THP, I announce to you the newest addition to my bag..................................
Spoiler
Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* Speeder 665 Evolution II stiff
IMG_20160116_130956853.jpg

Last edited:
good luck tomorrow, looking forward to your feedback and what comes out ahead

I love reading about people's fittings. I'll be looking forward to the update.

Go in with an open mind. Have fun. And let us know what happens. Oh... and take videos and pics if possible. We would appreciate it.

I got fitted by GolfTec first for irons and then for driver, wood and hybrid. I had a blast. Go in there with an open mind and let the numbers and recommendations from the fitter guide you.

Good luck, excited to hear all about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with

have fun. Looking forward to the results.

Good luck!

This is going to be fun...interested in what driver you'll eventually end up with.

Fittings are always fun, just don't let them push you to something you don't want. Not that they will, just saying.

Have fun, can't wait to hear how it goes for you.

Interested to hear what your thoughts are on Golftec. Is there a particular reason you picked them for the fitting?

Always love hearing people's experiences being fitted for clubs. Look forward to hearing more!

Good luck! Certainly I have to reiterate the open mine thing. I was fit at Club Champion and never thought I'd walk out with a recommendation for a Mizuno driver. But when things click, things click! Have a lot of fun!

Have fun and just follow what they say.

Go in with an open mind. Have fun. And let us know what happens. Oh... and take videos and pics if possible. We would appreciate it.

If I remember to take photos, I will. I can't guarantee anything.

Interested to hear what your thoughts are on Golftec. Is there a particular reason you picked them for the fitting?

I have always heard good things from GolfTEC. A bit on the expensive side, but the end results seemed to have paid off by former customers. Plus the equipment and software they have cannot be beat.

I should have mentioned going in with an open wallet as well as an open mind. My bag didn't come cheap, but the fittings ended up being free because I purchased the clubs through GolfTec. :D

Have a great time - it will be fun and beneficial!

Again, keep your mind open as to what works rather than what brands you prefer. And if you can afford it, purchase what your fitter recommends.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!!

The results are in. I will update the first post when I get home.

Back