The 2015 Grandaddy Recap Thread - Thanks For The Memories

You know there quite a lot of us that would like a chance to make those type of memories also!!!!! Jealousy rules supreme!!!!

You know, we have a lot of truly awesome events here at THP, and they are always getting better and better, but this one....this one is TRULY the CROWN JEWEL of them all in my opinion, and I will believe that forever.

Its hard to explain in words, I now get that completely. Even talking to #Cookie when I went down to visit and play, we both still have troubles with it. Its so special, and its truly a life altering experience. I mean that.

I can't bring myself to put the towel in play. I've already retired the headcover and will use for special trips/rounds, but this bag will be preserved right along with my Arnie & Pinehurst US Open bag

I used it yesterday but I think I am going to retire it. I need to get something to display my towel and putter covers(Grandaddy and hideaway). And then I have the Grandaddy driver cover and the old course driver cover that Jeff gave me. Sadly my cats kinda did a number on the hideaway towel. It isn't ruined but has a bunch of snags on it now. Guess I'll just have to go back.

The bag I think I'm going to keep using unless I get another stand bag as all I have is this one and a big ole cart bag and I enjoyed walking yesterday

I used it yesterday but I think I am going to retire it. I need to get something to display my towel and putter covers(Grandaddy and hideaway). And then I have the Grandaddy driver cover and the old course driver cover that Jeff gave me. Sadly my cats kinda did a number on the hideaway towel. It isn't ruined but has a bunch of snags on it now. Guess I'll just have to go back.

The bag I think I'm going to keep using unless I get another stand bag as all I have is this one and a big ole cart bag and I enjoyed walking yesterday

I'm thinking shadow box of some sort. Kinda funny with all the damage I did in the pro shop, I didn't get a putter cover. Lol

I'm thinking shadow box of some sort. Kinda funny with all the damage I did in the pro shop, I didn't get a putter cover. Lol

And with your love for putter cover. Well looks like now we both have to go back. I was thinking shadow box as well. I have score cards and yardage book and coins and tees as well to display

You know, we have a lot of truly awesome events here at THP, and they are always getting better and better, but this one....this one is TRULY the CROWN JEWEL of them all in my opinion, and I will believe that forever.

Its hard to explain in words, I now get that completely. Even talking to #Cookie when I went down to visit and play, we both still have troubles with it. Its so special, and its truly a life altering experience. I mean that.
I cannot agree with this more. It's impossible to put into words. Yesterday i was watching golf at my dads house and my sisters boyfriend was there with us and he mentioned how awesome the course looked last week in the desert in California. I said "come check these pictures out" and we were through every single picture in the live update thread and the recap thread. He was so blown away at everything we experienced and then asked me to put it in words. I couldnt. I just smiled, shook my head and said "I couldnt do it justice"

I'll snap a pic of the shadow box the Doc got me for Christmas we are going to fill and hang. Its freaking MASSIVE.

My home course is a decent country club and I played there yesterday and damn I felt like I was playing a goat track after playing at the Hideaway. It is true that course ruins golf courses for you

I'll snap a pic of the shadow box the Doc got me for Christmas we are going to fill and hang. Its freaking MASSIVE.

this would be cool to see. I've been googling some options to get an idea

Can't wait to see how you all display your stuff. Every time I'm by mine doing anything I get distracted just looking at all the stuff and remembering that week.

I love reading this thread, and seeing how much this event has impacted everyone. I'm kind of torn on what Grandaddy stuff to preserve and what to game. On the one hand, it's the effing grandaddy and I likely won't get to ever experience it again, so I should cherish all of the stuff, on the other hand, it was made to be played, and getting it out on the course is a chance to get to explain the event to strangers who ask about it.

So far, the towel is pristine, I can't imagine wiping mud on it, the bag will probably be in play at least a little (along with the valuables pouch) or alternating between that and my king bag, and the driver head cover will probably make it out to special occasions only. The clubs will be played until something else Callaway replaces them, but I see that being a while before that happens.

I want to go back...

There's a part of me that feels like I never left there. I think of that place every morning when I'm eating a breakfast that doesn't consist of breakfast sliders lol

DAY 2, ECPC, Callaway HQ, Bus Ride and Hideaway Dinner:
Woke up day 2 so excited for what was going to come, based upon the first evening’s event I think we all knew it was only going to get better and be one of the most epic days of our golf lives!
This is honestly the hardest day to recap because SO MUCH Happened.
ECPC:
We all climbed onto the bus after a nice breakfast fueled up and ready to go…
INSERT BUS RIDE PHOTO

And after a very short ride we had arrived.
fa005a7b8a9053715fa7d2f560e1a729.jpg

The Partial Zoo crew met us at the gates and welcomed us with open arms. It was kind of like showing up at the amusement park and only we were invited. After an awesome tour of the facilities which included entry, inside simulator, hitting robot, putter room and club building/tweaking room we were released into this little slice of Heaven.

d5caa791c75ccd1a3388c4a28c53de2b.jpg

fb3586ffc190f8155f7133d5a47b7fc2.jpg

887310e50ef72f81f1d72d7a6fe924bf.jpg

e2943522d6f651551000697a1fafa65e.jpg

I was the second fitting so my first stop was putters. I have always played a mallet so that’s where I started. The 2 ball fang was one my list but the a few others struck my eye. I narrowed it down between the 2 Ball fang and the V line. The V line won me over after getting the lie narrowed down with Steven. I ended up at 1 degree down and in the 38” counterbalanced option. This thing just lines up so well. The extended alignment aid and the color variation, just make it too easy… Try this putter when you get a chance. I think A LOT of us ended up putting it in the bag.
Onward to bunker lessons with a man you all may know as Roger Freaking Clevelan! What an amazing experience, this was probably the highlight of the day (and possibly the trip!!!). I came into this event thinking I was good at bunker shots and he blew my effing mind! I sucked before RFC rocked my world.

0b4e6d9f9e6aefabdffde09d0be7574d.jpg

I also hear this was the first bunker Dnev has ever raked...

Onto the fitting, I was fit by Nick and it was straight to the point. We started with Irons and bypassed graphite based upon my first few swings. He noticed a few things about my swing being inside to out and we worked on a few drills and got that straightened out a bit. I was hitting the ball pretty well during the fitting. We tried the PX rifle 6.0, then went to another shaft I don’t even know what it was (only hit is twice lol!) and then we narrowed it down to the PXI vs the normal PX. In the end the PX rifle was just a little bit more consistent in the dispersion that the PXI. Turns out he was switching back and forth between neautral and 1* upright this whole time without telling me and I was hitting the 1* upright a little batter and divot was more consistent.
My miss heading into this with a driver was either a duck hook or a high slice. Pretty original there. We decided the high right was all on me and we would try to fix the hook. The GBB couldn’t take enough of the hook out so we went with the DBB and ended up with the gravity core in the toe position and high CG. This give me a lot of room to grow into this driver because I can move to lower CG and put it in the draw position at a later date if my swing gets better. I opted for the 21* utility iron for a 3i replacement as I was absolutely pounding it during the fitting. 3w slot was filled with a matching alpha 516 16*. Wood and Driver shaft was determined to be the Diamana D+ 70g because it was a stout shaft and we stayed in stiff. The extra shaft weight really helped the dispersion again. Filled with my 3 wedges (50* MD3 (C grind) , 56* PM, 60* MD3(S grind)) and my bag was complete. Grip wise the Green UTX’s with 2 wraps were perfect!
I regret not looking at my numbers a little bit more and spendin a little bit more time with the Hybrids. But hindsight is 20/20 and I still love the way my bag turned out and played very well the next few days.

7615d4ab7f189059970b2ee64852c2f7.jpg

ECPC is the most purpose built driving range/equipment tweaking facility of awesomeness you have ever seen. Chrome softs for range balls so you have realistic results unlike the dead range balls I am used to. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!

7e601000efdddfe0ecdf39ac54e69dcc.jpg

Love it Colin.

Take.
Me.
Back.

Off to Callway World HQ we went…
The tour, the lunch, the Q&A, the Callaway live set were all amazing. I don’t think you could rip the smile off any of our faces.

The Tour was awesome, favorite part without a doubt was the Aerodynamics lab because of the technology, cameras, ability to analyze just has me excited as an engineer.
Here are some pictures of the tour; there were a lot of dirty towels hanging around though, not sure what they were covering…

addbd1f79d5af28cc754153c411db3fe.jpg

438b9bfd06fab58980de60428198d577.jpg

a8dc06a3f096d7699f7d1dce0a2f2a21.jpg

69cd597b1b1fe52b6d7c707c2ab6ba64.jpg

60ac9cd82b11cdd2295ba2c58b04a847.jpg

8812865f2ff22c0c412ffef9daebaf69.jpg

2e6b7cd95203ca1bb65eeb9364fd988a.jpg

4c3a14021404427d2f81ef265bc867f5.jpg

6d53620d010c45d14672d93124b27a38.jpg

63a3e224a94dd78af9a7d33e410a127b.jpg

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

The OBAN Shaft guys were also amazing, what a great company led by some great people. The OBAN/Callway partnership is going to be great moving forward and I cannot wait for the weather to turn to try out this shaft.

4ffe668038cbeda6efc37f80e03eea9b.jpg

0ce432d2b118389f33296ce3db2e9c81.jpg

Off we went to Palm Springs!!!!
The bus ride was actually pretty special and an amazing part of the trip, bonding with the zoo crew, sharing conversations and life stories. It doesn’t get much better. Spent a long time chatting with Rhi, Ethan, and Velardo. All awesome people. JROD though takes the cake, if this guy is not the definition of fun I do not know who is!

9011069873486343e800d4d44cb444fd.jpg

af18e51bd7775f77506cd866533fa9fe.jpg

d30bef928139e811a4fc33e98d4cee26.jpg

After another quick, easy, and smooth check into an awesome hotel with a personal king size bed, we grabbed showers and huddled back onto the bus to head to the Hideaway. I think this place now holds a special place in all of our hearts and will never be forgotten. Matt and the members welcomed us with open arms into their slice of heaven. They literally treated us like kings (and Queen Morgan) for the entire stay, it was absolutely amazing and not enough thanks can be given. What is special is Matt was just as excited as us because it’s such an amazing event.
Dinner, Mexican spread amazing, Margaritas, amazing. Pretty much sums up dinner.
When Pairings were announced I was happy to get paired with NebGolfer, Ryan was actually the first THPer I had ever met! I thought our games would complement eachother well and we would rock it. We were paired with Pete and AJ. Very excited to spend some time with these 2, I knew AJ was a character, but this Pete fellow…
After a few drinks and many conversations I believe we headed back to the hotel with Hideaway swag in hand and headed… Straight to the hotel bar for more festivities of course… We will leave it at that.
Amazing golf the day to follow. What a day…

3ff918f63c44264789900b50c55a9f06.jpg

03868fa245a75de96ed2620b8fa424e0.jpg

9ce632f6a6f442a40396499f6470f6d3.jpg

Love it Colin.

Take.
Me.
Back.

Trying to Phil! I feel so terrible I am late getting this posted. But it has been awesome reliving it and the thread deserves action every day until next year. I think about the granddaddy literally every day...

I am not used to this Midwest weather and miss Tucson golf though. I don't feel like my recap does it justice because I love golf, but I am not a gear junky.

What an amazing time.

Recap of the hideaway golfing coming this weekend. :)

I have been so busy since I returned but I am so happy to step away from life sometimes and think about the granddaddy.

Been looking for my new house and still settling into a very new and different job and city. I cannot freaking wait for this spring when my wife joins me, we have a new house and the weather is nice so I can hit these the clubs and do them justice.

I feel so terrible I am late getting this posted. But it has been awesome reliving it and the thread deserves action every day until next year. I think about the granddaddy literally every day...

Recap of the hideaway golfing coming this weekend. :)

I have been so busy since I returned but I am so happy to step away from life sometimes and think about the granddaddy.

Been looking for my new house and still settling into a very new and different job and city. I cannot freaking wait for this spring when my wife joins me, we have a new house and the weather is nice so I can hit these the clubs and do them justice.

We all love recaps, no matter when they happen. And it's a great surprise to see something like that pop up when you're least expecting it! And don't worry about not being a gear junkie, some of us are just happy when the ball goes forward.

Looking forward to the golf recap and good luck with the job and the house hunting!

You've already done those clubs justice by sharing your trip with all of us.

Last edited:
Loving the recaps guys!

We all love recaps, no matter when they happen. And it's a great surprise to see something like that pop up when you're least expecting it! And don't worry about not being a gear junkie, some of us are just happy when the ball goes forward.

Looking forward to the golf recap and good luck with the job and the house hunting!

You've already done those clubs justice by sharing your trip with all of us.

Thank you, that is reassuring to know! Thank you for the kind words and can't wait to own my first house! Keeping the inspiration going.

Talking about this one with Nate and Phillip yesterday brought back a flood of emotions. At one point I just found myself thinking about comfort stations and how awesome those things were.

For me it was the little things that added up to make this the one of a kind event it has become. I'm enterally grateful for being able to experience this event & I'm genuinely happy for those that have and will experience it as well. It sounds cliche, but it's life changing in some ways and an experience that stays with you forever.

Last edited:
Talking about this one with Nate and Phillip yesterday brought back a flood of emotions. At one point I just found myself thinking about comfort stations and how awesome those things were.

For me it was the little things that added up to make this the one of a kind event it has become. I'm enter ally grateful for being able to experience this event & I'm genuinely happy for those that have and will experience it as well. It sounds cliche, but it's life changing in some ways and an experience that stays with you forever.

Mike, three years removed it still gets the juices flowing. It's just that awesome.

Instant dustiness.

DSC_0799-XL.jpg

Looks perfect!

Back