Retief Goosen: Hall of Famer?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So obviously the answer to this question is yes, because he is getting in, in 2019. The question I have to THPers is assuming there was no major threshold or win threshold, do you consider him one?

2 Majors (both US Opens)
7 PGA Tour Wins

He does have 14 Euro Tour Wins and 2 runner ups at the Masters as well. For 5 or 6 years in the early 2000s, he was playing great golf, but outside of that, he was pretty good.

What do you think THPers?

Looking at complete body of work I feel he should be in.

2 US Opens and going 2nd T13 T13 T3 T3 2nd for 6 Masters in a row (including 5 Top 15 finishes at The Open in that span)

considering the competition at the time

I'd say absolutely

At this point I guess. I think of all the Hall of Fames in major sports, Golf has the most unclear criteria. Too many different tours

2 US Opens and going 2nd T13 T13 T3 T3 2nd for 6 Masters in a row (including 5 Top 15 finishes at The Open in that span)

considering the competition at the time

I'd say absolutely

And beating Tiger by strokes in the Tour Championship

Not overwhelmingly in, but yeah I think he belongs in the hall.

Borderline in my mind but his total body of work makes it hard to deny that he is worthy of induction.

If he’s got some skins on the wall and he’s a recognizable name then yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say yes.

I think he should be in. He's not a sure thing in there, but with over 20 world-wide pro wins and 2 majors with a LOT of near misses at the Masters, I think that gets him off the fence and in.

No.

Win another major first. Is nothing sacred?

Yeah he's a hall of famer. The 14 euro tour wins help him in this case. Not the best hall of famer but deserves to be there.

If he had just closed off that deal at Pinehurst this would be a no doubt case. I still think he's in.

I think he deserves to be in the HOF.

When looking at both Euro and PGA tour wins, his numbers are extremely close to Freddie's and includes an extra major. I think it's enough.

I'd say yes, but barely.

When looking at both Euro and PGA tour wins, his numbers are extremely close to Freddie's and includes an extra major. I think it's enough.

I know I am in the minority, but I didnt think Couples belonged in either.

I think he should be in.

I know I am in the minority, but I didnt think Couples belonged in either.

I still think Couple's got in due to popularity more so than for his achievements on tour. BUT, because he got in with the record he did, then I think it opens the door for guys like Goosen, who before now may have been a "probably not" guy.

At this point I guess. I think of all the Hall of Fames in major sports, Golf has the most unclear criteria. Too many different tours
I feel the same way. I would say hes in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The threshold to get into the golf HOF is shockingly low.

I say yes. However the Hall of Fames in all sports seem to be turning into the Hall of Very Good.

He will be because those folks love major winners, but his career doesn't really say so. Kind of like Martin Kaymer imo. Had a good run for a couple of years, but not a great career.

I don't think I would vote for him. You could probably name a dozen active players with careers equal to or better than Goosen (Bubba, A Scott, DJ, ZJ, Furyk, Spieth off the top of my head). If Couples is the threshold then they're all in.

Last edited:
Back