What do you look for in a Fairway Wood?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Title says it. What is that thing, or things, that you HAVE to see from a fairway wood to bag it?

I look for fairways. :D

Head shape and size pretty much does it for me. I like a little depth to the face, but I will like it looking shallow for ease of hitting off the fairway. I also CANNOT stand when fairways set up closed, it makes me angry, so setting up neutral is a must. Sound must be at least tolerable, but isn't a huge deal nor is adjustability.

Ease off the deck. Turf interaction is huge for me as someone who can tend to hit shots fat. Also, I prefer a mid, penetrating launch and forgiveness towards the toe. Lastly, like to hear a crisp thwack at contact. To date, the sound on the Cobra F7 fairway is the most satisfying to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Head shape and sound for me. Face can't be too tall otherwise no confidence hitting off the deck. Also face must not look closed, if it looks closed it just wants to go left

first and foremost, ease of use off the deck. i don't want to have to work to get it airborne.

second, neutral to fade bias. some people complain about hybrids being hookers, but for me it's fairway woods.

and lastly, consistency and reliability off the tee. not the highest priority for me, but still important when a hole calls for less than driver.

Shallow head face, and easy of hitting off the deck. To be honest the Epic fits all of these for me, and the sound is awesome.

Whatever the EX10 Beta has, that is it for me.

In order of importance (generally)

1. Ease of the deck - don’t want a tall face
2. Turf interaction- need forgiveness on slightly fat hits
3. SPIN - very important that spin rate off the deck is in the 3000-3500 range, no knuckleballs, want to hold the greens
4. Neutral setup - don’t want draw or fade bias

Have finally learned that correct launch can be best achieved by choosing the right loft so it’s no longer on my list of things to look for.

Title says it. What is that thing, or things, that you HAVE to see from a fairway wood to bag it?

A few people have mentioned shape, depth of face whether it be shallow or deep, sets up neutral or slight fade bias. The original RBZ was the first to check all the boxes for me. Wish I’d never sold that! My current 2016 M2 is a very close second. I have started to search for a little more height/launch, so I am trying the TEE X10 Beta 16.5 4w. I kind a wish the face with slightly deeper on this wood, but cannot complain about the performance of the Tee or from the fairway. If the place was slightly deeper I wouldn’t be as worried about catching up high on the face from the first cut of rough.

Edit: Will also add I’m hearing “game changer” used again for the new TM fairway woods. Time will tell…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few people have mentioned shape, depth of face whether it be shallow or deep, sets up neutral or slight fade bias. The original RBZ was the first to check all the boxes for me. Wish I’d never sold that! My current 2016 M2 is a very close second. I have started to search for a little more height/launch, so I am trying the TEE X10 Beta 16.5 4w. I kind a wish the face with slightly deeper on this wood, but cannot complain about the performance of the Tee or from the fairway. If the place was slightly deeper I wouldn’t be as worried about catching up high on the face from the first cut of rough

I wonder if a shaft change will get you the launch you're looking for. I'd recommend a UST Mamiya shaft but I'm probably biased.

I guess I should answer too.

BALL. SPEED.

For me, the fairway is a tee weapon first and foremost. I don't usually rifle them into par 5's because if I need to hit 3w, then odds are, I need to lay up to a number anyways.

Its why I keep returning to TEE. They're the ball speed kings in fairways. Though, Srixon with the new 3w has me curious too.

I wonder if a shaft change will get you the launch you're looking for. I'd recommend a UST Mamiya shaft but I'm probably biased.

You’re probably right. I have tried a couple different shafts. But still not getting the height I want. Getting great distance! But running through fairways or greens.

Ease of use off the deck and, like irons, go a predicatable distance. Neutral to fade based weighting or face angle is a must for me as well.

I want something that sets up square and a head that is not too deep. A subtle alignment aid is nice and I like more of a classic shape, but I have hit some that are more triangular and even a square one at point. A fairway wood has been been very important for my game as being shorter off the tee I have needed it as an approach club on some par 4s and a layup club on par 5s.

Personally I would love a fairway with a Callaway deep profile but launch / sound of a ping and explosiveness of TEE. Non adjustable too. I’d go back to a 3w and 5w if something like that became available again.

Last edited:
Ease off the deck. Turf interaction is huge for me as someone who can tend to hit shots fat. Also, I prefer a mid, penetrating launch and forgiveness towards the toe. Lastly, like to hear a crisp thwack at contact. To date, the sound on the Cobra F7 fairway is the most satisfying to me.

I was just going to post the exact same thing!

You’re probably right. I have tried a couple different shafts. But still not getting the height I want. Getting great distance! But running through fairways or greens.

I think you should check out the Proforce V2s. They have a high launch option as well.

Personally I would love a fairway with a Callaway deep profile but sound of a ping and explosiveness of TEE. Non adjustable too. I’d go back to a 3w and 5w if something like that became available again.

I almost responded at the very start with “the perfect Goldilocks 3wood. Just a little of this, a pinch of that, not too much of this, but I have to have that!”

That’s why I am glad we have a lot of options. And why it’s important to go to have demo days every chance you get. I think if I was given a blank sheet of paper and told to design my perfect 3wood, I screwed up.

It's gonna sound cliche but has to be straight. Slightly square to open face at address too is a plus. Other than that I don't have many look requirements.

sound and ball flight. I like a higher ball flight with fairway woods and love a good metallic sounding FW

Distance and launch off the turf. It typically only comes out when I need to move the ball a long way.

Personally I would love a fairway with a Callaway deep profile but sound of a ping and explosiveness of TEE. Non adjustable too. I’d go back to a 3w and 5w if something like that became available again.

You forgot to mention it has to have a chev on it. :D

Small, compact, can’t be a weird color like yellow or blue or red etc. like it to be grey or black or a subtle color scheme. I don’t like an enormous deep face. Sound is big to me as well.

Back