What makes a course boring?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
For me its a course with holes that are all similar yardages. I don't want to play 9 par 4's that are all 380yds and I don't want all par 3's to be 150yds

For me it's flat courses with little to no danger. And I agree, Jeremy. Playing the same length holes all day sucks too.

For me its a course with holes that are all similar yardages. I don't want to play 9 par 4's that are all 380yds and I don't want all par 3's to be 150yds

*Cough* Hawk Hollow *Cough*

I like to see some decision making forced out on the course and some risk/reward. If the layout of the course doesn't make you think about club selection or shot type, then it's boring.

Greens that are in bad shape. Nothing takes the fun out of a round for me if the greens are not taken care of.

In terms of course design, par 4s where I am forced to hit an iron off the tee.

Driver - wedge : I want a course that makes you think on each hole about how to play it rather than just automatically pulling driver with no consequence for missing a fairway (bit like a lot of PGA tour courses seem to be, where players aren't punished for missing a fairway and being in the 'rough')

Lack of imagination in layout and hole design : Don't make all holes straight with no variation, I want doglegs, hazards and assuming the land permits, some elevation changes

Greens that are in bad shape. Nothing takes the fun out of a round for me if the greens are not taken care of.

In terms of course design, par 4s where I am forced to hit an iron off the tee.

What is your issue with this?

A course I have played a number of times has a couple of holes where hitting an iron off the tee is the best shot to play - they are both short dogleg par 4 holes where hitting driver would not work

My home course has a short par 4 that is driveable if you can thread your way through the bunkers and mounds protecting a small 2 tier green, but the sensible shot is to take an iron and leave yourself a good yardage for one of your wedges

Poor greens and unlevel tee boxes. I do like to see bunkers around the greens if they are maintained properly.

I don't mind the holes having the same distance, if they are different in some way, trouble on the left, right, forced carry, a dog leg, etc.

what makes a course boring to me is something we see a lot around here, a flat surface with no undulation and a bunch of straight holes

Driver - wedge : I want a course that makes you think on each hole about how to play it rather than just automatically pulling driver with no consequence for missing a fairway (bit like a lot of PGA tour courses seem to be, where players aren't punished for missing a fairway and being in the 'rough')

Lack of imagination in layout and hole design : Don't make all holes straight with no variation, I want doglegs, hazards and assuming the land permits, some elevation changes

Agree with all of the above! I hate back and forth tracks that are continuous straight Par 4s 360 - 420 yds.

Pace of play too. I hate when courses stack foursomes and you have to wait for 2 groups ahead of you on Par 3s. I guess that's more frustrating than boring though.

you pretty much nailed it in the op. holes of similar yardage, particularly par 3s that are all the same.

i'll also add a course that asks for one primary shot shape, and all greens slope almost identically. the course by my house does demand different shot shapes, but mostly a cut so it gets kinda boring trying to hit that shot over and over. and almost every green slopes the exact same way (i'm guessing because of drainage issues).

Point & Shoot courses, places where options aren't really available.

I like to play a round where I use all the clubs (or almost all) in the bag!

If you don't have to think about your shots much, the course is boring to me.

Boring par 3's (there should be a long one, a short one where you have to hit a target, one with elevation change if possible, etc)

No club selection from the tee on par 4's (driver shouldn't be ok on all of them)

Boring par 5's (at least one of them should be too long for most to reach in 2 and one should be short enough for most to reach in 2, but have some trouble)

That's exactly what I was trying to say.

What is your issue with this?

A course I have played a number of times has a couple of holes where hitting an iron off the tee is the best shot to play - they are both short dogleg par 4 holes where hitting driver would not work

My home course has a short par 4 that is driveable if you can thread your way through the bunkers and mounds protecting a small 2 tier green, but the sensible shot is to take an iron and leave yourself a good yardage for one of your wedges

See above. I'm okay with occasionally having to hit an iron off the tee on a par 4 if that is the smart play but when that is the case for most of the par 4s and there is no other option then that course will not be high on my list of places I want to play.

I agree with similar yardages of par 3's and par 4's (especially if the layout of the mojority of those holes is very similar).

Furry and slow greens doesn't make a course boring, it just makes you angry.

I'd say courses that don't require you to think off the tee or approaching a green. Boring holes are just long holes, 500 yard par 4's where you have to just crush driver, then a fw, then try and get up and down for par. It's hard but certainly boring. The same for long par 3's, where the goal is just hit it far.

I love a 130 yard par three with a double tiered green, water, and traps everywhere.

Don't like where all of the par 4's are straight with no character and around the same yardage.

My top 5 reasons courses can be boring.

1. Greens that have no undulation to them
2. No bunkers on the course
3. Straight up & back holes that just seem to parallel each other. Like there was no imagination when it was designed.
4. Very little distinction between yardages (whites vs blues)
5. Lack of hazards ... i.e. water, waste areas

Edit .... NO good looking beverage cart girl!

Last edited:
Surprised no one has said "lacking a liquor license" or "no bev cart girl" yet, because that would do the trick!

:alien:

I agree with this. If I have to play irons or hybrids off the tee on multiple holes it gets boring for me. I want to bring the driver out of the bag with the potential to get myself in to some trouble!

I agree with this. If I have to play irons or hybrids off the tee on multiple holes it gets boring for me. I want to bring the driver out of the bag with the potential to get myself in to some trouble!

i don't think you would like the course by my house. even from the tips, there is no reason to hit driver on the entire front 9. back 9 you have to hit driver on 16, but other than that no reason to.

100% agree about hitting the same clubs into greens.

Flat courses.

Coming from a place where no courses have flat lies, to travel and play flat courses, I have zero interest. Will still play, for the enjoyment of the social aspect, but that's it.

A place where I can just spray the driver without much concern is typically boring after two rounds. Fun for a few rounds but the lack of thought or need for execution kills it long term.

Back